Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 05:26 AM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times

Advertisements

just like mail delivery, we don't need to travel to a building more than 2/3 days a week. Depending on your major, college can follow the same path. Saves everyone lots of money. Facilities could be shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 05:48 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The thought of public schools collapsing makes me as giddy as...well...a schoolboy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Bring back juvenile detention centers.
The above reminds me of part of Oliver Twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
First, a significant number of kids and families would not be able to hack the skills required to be successful with online schooling. All that needs to happen today is for those kids to be dropped off at school, and the administration takes care of the rest. Leave it to them and their families to engage in an online curriculum? Good luck with that. There are at least hundreds of thousands of them, nationally, in each grade.
My 8th grade daughter had a small section of her math I could not do. Now this was the advanced class teaching college algebra (101 level), but still. It was a simplification problem with fractions with variables in both the numerator and denominator positions. Before yall get all uppity about me not being able to do it, I bet only Mathguy could have done it without research. That section was UGLY.

Who here thinks Joe Average with an IQ of 100 could do any of this stuff? This is far above what I did in 8th grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Goodness... there are lots of special needs kids who don't have behaviors that might land them in juvy. Even the ones that may... Yikes. This is no realistic solution for any kid with special needs.
Maybe we should just humanely put down anyone with an IQ less than say 115. (roughly +1 standard deviation from the median)

I have kids at both ends of the achievement spectrum. MY 8th grade daughter's grades actually went up. She has likely cemented her getting the salutatorian position for her class (2nd best grades of ~20 for 4 years). (Pretty sure the valedictorian kid is a Borg) OTOH My ADHD son has been a very tough slog and my 2nd job looks to be restarting in about 3 weeks.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:10 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,644 times
Bye then. I’m pretty sure there are thousands of freshly minted new teachers who will be happy to take their places.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:41 AM

366 posts, read 110,615 times
Thats cool, around here there is always a queue of people that weren't hired just waiting for a spot to open.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:57 AM

One thing this mess has taught me:

There is a radical difference from teacher to teacher in their dedication.

One will get back to me within 5 minutes of an email, even on weekends. She lives on her phone and is THAT good. There is one at the other end of the spectrum...

Old 05-27-2020, 07:06 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
One thing this mess has taught me:

There is a radical difference from teacher to teacher in their dedication.

One will get back to me within 5 minutes of an email, even on weekends. She lives on her phone and is THAT good. There is one at the other end of the spectrum...
In other words Teachers are like the rest of us.

Reminds me of patients that are shocked most doctors and nurses Do NOT agree with "risk my life to save yours" philosophy. Not a oath we take. I am sure this lesson will be learned nationally if the virus makes it to flu season.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Think about the special need kids if we didn't have public schools. Go sit in on a class with these teachers and tell me how giddy you would feel if public schools collasped. What would happen to these kids.
Instead of learning nothing in the school and me paying for it, they'll go back to learning nothing at home and me not paying for it.

My sister-in-law taught special needs for 12 years, and those kids learn nothing. Her job was daycare and taking care of basic hygiene those kids' parents refused to do.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
My 8th grade daughter had a small section of her math I could not do. Now this was the advanced class teaching college algebra (101 level), but still. It was a simplification problem with fractions with variables in both the numerator and denominator positions. Before yall get all uppity about me not being able to do it, I bet only Mathguy could have done it without research. That section was UGLY.

Who here thinks Joe Average with an IQ of 100 could do any of this stuff? This is far above what I did in 8th grade.
I could have done it. No problem. I just got done tutoring a kid in Calc 2, pretty sure I can handle Algebra.

If you can't handle Algebra, that's on you.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I could have done it. No problem. I just got done tutoring a kid in Calc 2, pretty sure I can handle Algebra.

If you can't handle Algebra, that's on you.
Calc 2 tutor? Congrats. You are in the 99th percentile. Median Joe not so much.

Then again with my offing everyone with less than a 115 IQ idea, that wont be a problem for long.

I know. Brazil is the ultimate economy. Let the poor rot.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 AM

638 posts, read 240,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You can't call it education when they are trying to teach children that they can be whatever gender they damn feel feel like. What's next? Are they going to start teaching them they can be inanimate object objects like a book or a rock? Warping children's minds in such a way should be rightfully considered child abuse.
This does not start in schools, schools are just told we need to accommodate them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies