Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 01:20 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://amp.dailycaller.com/2020/05/...ial-distancing

Permanent online schooling? Which could be a good or bad thing really
How on earth could it be a good thing? smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 01:24 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Once the counties realize they will have to give back the property taxes, they will come back.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:34 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Once the counties realize they will have to give back the property taxes, they will come back.
That's some magical thinking. Online school comes with a cost that's not much less than in a classroom.

No, one teacher won't be teaching Algebra I to every student in the state. SPED requirements will still have to be met, if a kid's IEP mandates a one on one aide then that aide will be going to that kid's house. Federal ESSA mandates will still have to be met. And so on.

That's not even considering the cost of certifying all these teachers as online instructors (I am, or rather was, certified as an online teacher). Teaching online is a whole different skill set and methodology than teaching in a classroom.

Back to the original premise. Like others I think many teachers who are close to retirement age and were just kind of waiting will likely look at leaving more seriously. If this had happened a year later Mrs. NBP would be filling out her paperwork. As it is she needs next year to hit 20 years which is a pension marker. Oh, and like me for 32 years of paychecks, she has paid into that pension every two weeks her entire time.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:17 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
So, what's wrong with that? Those kids still need schooling and teachers.
Teachers won't work there. That's their choice. /shrug

Old 05-28-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's some magical thinking. Online school comes with a cost that's not much less than in a classroom.

No, one teacher won't be teaching Algebra I to every student in the state. SPED requirements will still have to be met, if a kid's IEP mandates a one on one aide then that aide will be going to that kid's house. Federal ESSA mandates will still have to be met. And so on.

That's not even considering the cost of certifying all these teachers as online instructors (I am, or rather was, certified as an online teacher). Teaching online is a whole different skill set and methodology than teaching in a classroom.

Back to the original premise. Like others I think many teachers who are close to retirement age and were just kind of waiting will likely look at leaving more seriously. If this had happened a year later Mrs. NBP would be filling out her paperwork. As it is she needs next year to hit 20 years which is a pension marker. Oh, and like me for 32 years of paychecks, she has paid into that pension every two weeks her entire time.
Give her back what she paid and not a penny more. That's what's happening, at best, with Social Security. The SS Admin admits most people LOSE money on SS. They've paid more in SS taxes than they'll ever receive in SS benefits.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:28 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Teachers in my area average over $125,000 a year for 9 months of work. NYC teachers bank pretty well too. It would be nice to have a 20% reduction in my school tax.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
On line schooling might be a superior educational tool for those focused on learning —for households trying to get away from the responsibilities of being a parent and those young people that have no interest in learning —Not so much —
No doubt the teachers union and Multi billion dollar bureaucracy of k12 will hype the concept of all being together

Old 05-28-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Give her back what she paid and not a penny more. That's what's happening, at best, with Social Security. The SS Admin admits most people LOSE money on SS. They've paid more in SS taxes than they'll ever receive in SS benefits.
As will happen with the pension.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Teachers in my area average over $125,000 a year for 9 months of work. NYC teachers bank pretty well too. It would be nice to have a 20% reduction in my school tax.
Not according to this. Why the **** can't you guys just use the real numbers instead of lying?

https://jobs.teacher.org/school-dist...hool-district/

Especially when the average teacher salary is over $100K/year (even your lying number) less than the median Household income.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 06-01-2020 at 05:07 AM..

Old 05-28-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As will happen with the pension.
So where's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies