Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
They are civil servants correct? So they are already protected.
They are NOT protected like other civil servants. The Teacher Union is what protects them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 10:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://amp.dailycaller.com/2020/05/...ial-distancing

Permanent online schooling? Which could be a good or bad thing really
According to an online poll conducted to create a headline.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/5254729002/

No way to tell if responders were active teachers, or not.

There are more than 13,000 public school districts in the US.

Most parents do not have the time or inclination or skills to home school or monitor their children’s online learning. District and teacher engagement in online learning is a huge variable.

Not lost on many people the number of teachers who created/ posted Tik- Tok content during the school day, as schools were closed. Most of the content seems to be variations of a shuffle dance.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:28 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to an online poll conducted to create a headline.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/5254729002/

No way to tell if responders were active teachers, or not.

There are more than 13,000 public school districts in the US.

Most parents do not have the time or inclination or skills to home school or monitor their children’s online learning. District and teacher engagement in online learning is a huge variable.

Not lost on many people the number of teachers who created/ posted Tik- Tok content during the school day, as schools were closed. Most of the content seems to be variations of a shuffle dance.
Many parents do not have their former jobs. They're either unemployed or working from home. That's a game changer.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:03 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Bring back juvenile detention centers.
You want to put children with disabilities in juvenile hall? Yikes.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Many parents do not have their former jobs. They're either unemployed or working from home. That's a game changer.
There was no game changer.

With both parents at home, there was ZERO learning taking place.

As parents reported, their children got up from the computer and started roaming around the house, out in the garage, down in the basement, outside, everywhere but at the computer.

The children were easily distracted by anything and everything.

Two birds in a tree distracted the children. Noises distracted the children. The TV shows the parents were watching distracted the children. The parents' phone conversations distracted the children. The parents talking to each other distracted the children. The parents going about their daily routines in the home distracted the children. A parent walking from one room to another distracted the children.

If you think a parent is going to sit next to their child for 7 hours to keep them on task, you're dreaming.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm fine with continuing to do online schooling at home with my son, but the socialization factor is the biggest missing piece so far.
The socialization factor is the most critical.

Children and teens need social interaction. On a personal level. Talking, texting and sexting is not social interaction.

It's important to learn both verbal and non-verbal cues, and you can't learn non-verbal cues online or talking, texting and sexting.

The in-school and after-school athletic and non-athletic extra-curricular activities are an important part of the socialization factor. That's how leadership, self-confidence, self-esteem and such are built, not to mention being exposed to a wide variety of experiences.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:57 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
I’m fine teaching my kids at home if I have to. I have a law degree. I think I can handle it.
Perhaps ... Do you have the curriculum? Won't you have to go to work? How will you teach them if you're not home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd hate to see a kid's potential not be realized because the home schooler can't meet their needs which is going to be especially challenging for stem and since some groups are unrepresented as it is, that's sure not going to help things.
How do you conduct a complex science experiment at home? It's not like every kitchen is equipped with grasshopper carcasses to dissect, specific chemicals to mix, and microscopes to look at cells.

Some kids don't even have computers at home, or reliable internet access. One of the school districts in my county lost six weeks of teaching because more than half the kids don't have computers at home. And if you have multiple kids who are sharing a computer - how do they access their lessons at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
With both parents at home, there was ZERO learning taking place.

As parents reported, their children got up from the computer and started roaming around the house, out in the garage, down in the basement, outside, everywhere but at the computer.
And that's if the children checked in at all; in some districts, 15-25 percent of the kids have not. Here's a story about attendance (it's from late April, so things might have improved in May):
https://www.inquirer.com/education/c...-20200427.html

Quote:
If you think a parent is going to sit next to their child for 7 hours to keep them on task, you're dreaming.
Parents will be going back to work. They won't even be home to redirect their kids when they get distracted.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:06 PM

606 posts, read 355,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The only openings are in high crime rate school districts.

I'll just reiterate my previous point.

So, what's wrong with that? Those kids still need schooling and teachers.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:09 PM

25,765 posts, read 12,840,301 times
They'll just increase class sizes temporarily until replacements can be found. problem solved.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
I can see that happening w/ other professions as well. And, a fair amount of people will be retiring earlier than they originally planned I'm guessing, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies