Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

I'm fine with continuing to do online schooling at home with my son, but the socialization factor is the biggest missing piece so far. That's why it's mostly religious types who do home schooling; those kids have a second avenue for social life at their church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
True, our public education is a colossal failure on many levels and the Left indoctrinating them to be anti science and anti logic is probably the biggest failure.
Can you cite an example of a public school/system "indoctrinating" students to be "anti-science" and "anti-logic." Who? Where? When? How?

Old 05-28-2020, 07:48 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Which is why last year Illinois had 1200 teaching jobs unfilled because they couldn't find certified people?

People are getting out of teaching because of poor pay and idiot parents, thus the shortage
The entire state, so not just suburban areas. Yeah, I can see why teachers don't want to work in the inner-city areas.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:49 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Stop those checks from coming in and I bet they show up.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
America, where people hate education and science.
Of course. Just look at the ridiculous, ongoing COVID-19 lockdowns. Seems to be epidemic in blue states.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Why doesn't she apply for CPS? Should be able to get a job fairly easily for high school math, and the pay is pretty good for a kid right out of college.
The only openings are in high crime rate school districts.

Quote:
If she's looking to work in a specific, high socio-economic suburb of Chicago, she could be waiting for years. If she's willing to teach in blue collar or lower income suburbs like Maywood or Berwyn or in the city of Chicago she will get a job very quickly. There are a lot of jobs in charters all over the city, and in neighborhood high schools on the south and west sides. Turnover is pretty high, so even if she doesn't get something in the fall, plenty of people lose it and quit during the middle of the school year as well. At that point, schools get desperate and higher anyone who had proper certification to fill the vacancy.
I'll just reiterate my previous point.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You've just proven to parents that they can teach their kids at home. Remains to be seen how effective it is of course, but the traditional model for education was due for a wake-up call anyways.
That, 100%.
Quote:
Medieval Universities were places where knowledge and the knowledgeable were gathered to one place. If you wanted to learn anything, that's where you had to go to become a truly educated person. The essentials of this model of education hasn't changed much over the centuries, but the world certainly has.

Today, you can learn just about anything you want to learn on the Internet. Many of teachers' best resources for teaching their students are online. Well ... you don't really need a classroom for that. The only possible benefits to traditional schools is:
A.) Getting the kids out of mom and dad's way so they can both go to work.
B.) Theoretically you have a focused environment with people who are trained experts in getting all of that that knowledge from the Internet into the heads of all the kids.

A lot of households where the mom stays home with the kids will likely opt to just do the educating themselves.
Many families will decide it's a MUCH better use of their and their children's time.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:04 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
So, take an occupation with an ever-shrinking pool of applicants, remove the scant support system they now have, and watch things get better? Brilliant!
They are civil servants correct? So they are already protected.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Pros\Cons to the whole thing:

1) Some public school systems are excellent some are terrible and some in-between. Too many posters paint them ALL with the same broad brush.

2) I'm at the higher end of the range in terms of varied subject knowledge and ability to help explain things. I'd hate to see a kid's potential not be realized because the home schooler can't meet their needs which is going to be especially challenging for stem and since some groups are unrepresented as it is, that's sure not going to help things.

3) Social oddness, let's just say that a portion of homeschooled kids without mild autism can do one heckuva impersonation.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pros\Cons to the whole thing:

1) Some public school systems are excellent some are terrible and some in-between. Too many posters paint them ALL with the same broad brush.

2) I'm at the higher end of the range in terms of varied subject knowledge and ability to help explain things. I'd hate to see a kid's potential not be realized because the home schooler can't meet their needs which is going to be especially challenging for stem and since some groups are unrepresented as it is, that's sure not going to help things.

3) Social oddness, let's just say that a portion of homeschooled kids without mild autism can do one heckuva impersonation.
That (kids' educational needs not being met) happens every day, every month, every year in the public school system. I have a long history on that subject but will just suffice it to say, read this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies