Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:19 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Abolish the Department of Education. Privatize schools. Problem solved.
^^^This! Make Public Sector unions illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 06:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The report I heard this AM said that most of those talking about not returning are over 50.
If that is indeed the case, that may mean a lot of people eligible for pensions, so they may not *have* to return.
What that might to do state budgets is anyone’s guess.
Some, but not many states allow teachers to retire at 50 and get a pension. In California, for example, at 50 you would just get back the money you paid into the retirement fund. At 55 you can collect a pension but it would be about half of what you would receive at age 60 (full-retirement age).

I doubt if there will be a huge number of teachers, nationwide, who retire early to avoid going back due to Covid 19. The ones who do are likely to have highly-paid spouses or other income streams.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^This! Make Public Sector unions illegal.
So, take an occupation with an ever-shrinking pool of applicants, remove the scant support system they now have, and watch things get better? Brilliant!

Old 05-27-2020, 06:43 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
So, take an occupation with an ever-shrinking pool of applicants, remove the scant support system they now have, and watch things get better? Brilliant!
The Teachers Unions main goal is to ensure the survival of the union, not the needs of the students. Eliminate the Taxing Authority that many school districts have and make them operate on a budget which they have to submit for approval. Limit the unions role to collective bargaining for salary but not to dictate benefits or benefit providers.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The Teachers Unions main goal is to ensure the survival of the union, not the needs of the students. Eliminate the Taxing Authority that many school districts have and make them operate on a budget which they have to submit for approval. Limit the unions role to collective bargaining for salary but not to dictate benefits or benefit providers.
One of the biggest budget issues most districts face is "unfunded mandates". This is when Congress or perhaps State legislatures decide that specific services need to be provided to students (like Special Ed.) but don't provide the funding to support those services. School Districts are continually trying to stretch budgets to provide these services and provide specialized personnel to keep track of all of the compliance paperwork.
The result is that funding for "normal" students continually shrinks to support mandated services.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:49 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The teachers' unions' main goal is to protect the interests of the teachers, which fortunately for all, coincides with the interests of the students. If you want children to learn in optimal conditions, then that ensures optimal working conditions for teachers.

Always forgotten in this part of the debate is that the states which do not have functional teachers' unions (mostly in the South) are also the states with the lowest educational funding and lowest student achievement. It's a taxpayer's paradise. The wealthy pay for elite private schools, the middle class either send their kids to small academies or band together in towns known for supporting public education. Everyone else gets the bare minimum, with my state funding the Adequate Education Program only once in its twenty-year history. No union bosses here--the only reason the few teachers have joined unions is for the million-dollar liability insurance. Teachers can't rely on their districts to defend them when parents turn litigious.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:52 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
If Social Distancing is still the norm in September, there can no be school other than remotely.

The geography does not work. Cafeterias are reduced to less than 20% capacity with 6' intervals. Buses are even worse. I saw a demo where a bus to hold 70 side by side holds 12 with 6' gaps.

Implications are huge. No school in session = wfh even more likely to last through the fall semester of 2020.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
[b][color="Blue"]

Nationwide the teacher shortage has been growing for years.

In Hawaii there were more unfilled positions than 1200. In order to "get by" the jobs are filled with people who aren't credentialed to teach but have a Bachelor's Degree and are willing to start working towards a credential. Some do, many just teach until their 5-year grace period is up then move on to another line of work.

In "hard to fill" areas a high school diploma will suffice to substitute teach.

Would you feel comfortable if your own children were in schools without certified teachers?
I’m fine teaching my kids at home if I have to. I have a law degree. I think I can handle it.

It’s not rocket science.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
I’m fine teaching my kids at home if I have to. I have a law degree. I think I can handle it.

It’s not rocket science.
So you don't teach them at home, but you could. That's great for your kids. What about the 100-200 million other kids in America?

I'm not a plumber or an electrician but I could do that kind of work if I have to. The question becomes "why should I"?

Socialization which takes place in school is especially important for our society and doesn't easily occur with children who don't attend school.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Instead of learning nothing in the school and me paying for it, they'll go back to learning nothing at home and me not paying for it.

My sister-in-law taught special needs for 12 years, and those kids learn nothing. Her job was daycare and taking care of basic hygiene those kids' parents refused to do.
There are different levels of special needs kids. My sister teaches kids who have autism and down syndrome mainly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies