Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 12:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,198,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Permanent online schooling? Which could be a good or bad thing really
It could never be good under any circumstances.

Children simply do not possess the maturity level.

As reported by parents, their children wandered away from the computer dozens of times each day; were easily distracted by anything and everything; and spent little time on task, instead preferring to surf the web.

And that was with parents at home.

What do you think will happen when parents are not in the home?

Those kids will wander away from the computer. They'll be roaming around the house, going outside.

They'll be distracted by any noise, or change in lighting and many other things and will wander off to check it out.

They'll be surfing the web and not paying attention.

In short, you'll have a whole generation of morons.

There are very valid reasons why schools exist and why children must leave the home to go to a school.

One such reason is socialization.

Humans, like dogs, have to be socialized.

What's the purpose of socialization? To teach children how to act around other people.

You know, so we only have 1 person taking a machete and hacking people to death instead of 100 people doing it.

Now, if you pass a law that limits each household to one and only one wage-earner and another law that bans single parents, you might actually educate 20% of the children being educated at home online, but you'll eventually have large numbers of adults who are socially maladjusted, so don't cry when the crime rate spikes permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 12:20 PM

73,097 posts, read 62,737,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Good riddance.
Why?

Old 05-27-2020, 12:23 PM

6,274 posts, read 3,429,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Permanent online schooling? Which could be a good or bad thing really

Did all teachers and others school employees get paid for their time off due to the Wuhan virus shut down?

Old 05-27-2020, 12:30 PM

4,523 posts, read 1,872,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why?
Lazy government scum that work less than average hours for more than average compensation. To make matters worse, they have found a loud mouthpiece in the Liberal media, preaching to us all that if we don’t forfeit more of our income to them, we must hate children.

Bunch of whiney ass nefarious welfare queens.

Oh, and they openly pollute the minds of young impressionable children with liberal ideas.

Hell with them.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:48 PM

606 posts, read 355,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. I'm talking about suburban Chicago.
Why doesn't she apply for CPS? Should be able to get a job fairly easily for high school math, and the pay is pretty good for a kid right out of college.

If she's looking to work in a specific, high socio-economic suburb of Chicago, she could be waiting for years. If she's willing to teach in blue collar or lower income suburbs like Maywood or Berwyn or in the city of Chicago she will get a job very quickly. There are a lot of jobs in charters all over the city, and in neighborhood high schools on the south and west sides. Turnover is pretty high, so even if she doesn't get something in the fall, plenty of people lose it and quit during the middle of the school year as well. At that point, schools get desperate and higher anyone who had proper certification to fill the vacancy.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:08 PM

19,271 posts, read 17,143,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I am an example of the problem the school system has finding teachers, particularly for STEM.

I have two degrees in Mathematics. BS and MS. But because I have not taken 2-3 years worth of Education classes, I am not qualified to teach in the Ohio school system. I have been, at various points in my career, willing to take the pay cut involved with going from a 2,080 hour (I'm salary, so that is minimum, and lol) work year in IT to the ~1,560 hour (yes, I know they work overtime, same as every salary-exempt worker in the world, so shut up) work year in education.

But to take that pay cut, I have to spend 2-3 years in school paying my guild tithe. Tons and tons of folks with advanced STEM degrees out there locked out of teaching until they pay that education guild tithe in time and money...and to take a pay cut, well, that's not a particularly good ROI.

Plus, all any of us private sector STEM folks hear is how bad administrators are, how much daycare vs actual teaching happens, and oh by the by, teachers constantly complaining that they work 371 hours of overtime per week GRADING PAPERS!!! Nothing but horror stories from people in the job (who apparently will not work anywhere else...oddly) and a guild tithe/cert system that locks anyone out from even trying to join up...and all for a pay cut? Where's my incentive again?

Funny thing about teaching math in Ohio. The credit hour requirement of mathematics courses for a Math teaching degree is half what is required for just having a plain old Math degree. You need to know less Math to teach it than you do to have the first step in being a Mathematician. True story - even with a PhD, to teach K-12 math, you still need to pay the education guild tithe.

Lots and lots of STEM degree'd folks out there all too willing to "retire early" from the rat race of corporate gigs and take summers off, but we are all locked out because of the guild system.
I can't comment on Ohio's requirements but I'm sure if a person was allowed to teach without the requisite courses all hell would break loose and the unions are knee deep in all of it. Virginia allows for provisional licensing and you accomplish the necessary hours on the job.

I don't think anyone would say that teaching is a better career choice financially then using STEM Degrees for STEM. I'm guessing when you say the "guild system you are referring to the states licensing or is it the unions requirements?

Ultimately education is also supply and demand , when they can't fill STEM teacher requirements then they will change the requirements I've seen it before....

Old 05-27-2020, 01:10 PM

19,271 posts, read 17,143,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. I'm talking about suburban Chicago.
Not too familiar with there but I do know the union rules like in NY.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:11 PM

638 posts, read 241,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Did all teachers and others school employees get paid for their time off due to the Wuhan virus shut down?
Well we didn't have time off

Old 05-27-2020, 02:35 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
I have a niece who's teaching her 8th grade class remotely.

She said she's confident our local school district is planning to take some security measures for her classroom and her school that will protect them all from the virus that will be implemented over the summer. The district has already prepared some distancing requirements for the teachers.

The greatest threat of a school outbreak is to the kids, not the teachers; teachers are most often more than 6 feet away from their kids during most of a classes' session, while the kids are seated much more closely to each other. Hallways are a greater threat for the kids after a class is through, as that's when the hallways are jammed with the kids.

She doesn't know what the measures will be yet, as she's received nothing so far. But she thinks class dismissals will become staggered, with a few ending sooner or later than others to relieve the hall congestion, and she's pretty sure class sizes will be smaller. Which means longer school days by an hour or two.

She expects there will be fewer school rally events held inside, staggered lunch times, and some other things, but has no idea of what other measures the school district will take.

The coronavirus now appears to hit children differently than adults. Kids don't get the same lung problems adults get, but can become very ill with blood clots that can form anywhere in a child's body along with very high temperatures that are stubborn. The stomach and intestines are more commonly affected as well.

She was told to be on the lookout for a child who's feeling sick to their stomach, is vomiting, or comes down with sudden violent diarrhea. Those are all signs of the virus.

These can be just as lethal as the lung problems adults suffer.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:44 PM

1,781 posts, read 958,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Completely not the case, we already have a teacher shortage..

I doubt that and it seems others on this thread agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies