Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 08:56 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
It would be a bad thing.

Some people thrive with online education for some specific reasons. However, the systemic effects would be bad.

First, a significant number of kids and families would not be able to hack the skills required to be successful with online schooling. All that needs to happen today is for those kids to be dropped off at school, and the administration takes care of the rest. Leave it to them and their families to engage in an online curriculum? Good luck with that. There are at least hundreds of thousands of them, nationally, in each grade.

Second, it would accelerate the creation of a class divide between students who can afford in person schooling and those forced to do it online. The in person education that we take for granted now, is a status rite of passage in the future.
What skills do you need to be successful in online schooling?

Reading,
Listening,
Following directions.
Making an effort.

Yeah, those skills are way too tough for kids these days. Better to have in-person babysitting and call it education.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 08:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
As folks condemn the public school system, they condemn that those school systems won't open.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:02 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
It's just one poll.

It's not a commitment.

They said, "unlikely to return" which is not the same as "won't return."

I think this is a lot of speculation over a "nothing burger" as some people here like to put it.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:05 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Completely not true, many places in the country are seeing a teacher shortage..
Only if no one wants to live there by choice. Check out Suburbia, USA. Too many teachers chasing too few teaching jobs.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Where are you located because most localities have plenty of openings.
Suburbia, USA. My neighbor's daughter had to take a job as a substitute teacher because there were no job openings for full-time teachers, and she's certified to teach High School Math.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Suburbia, USA. My neighbor's daughter had to take a job as a substitute teacher because there were no job openings for full-time teachers, and she's certified to teach High School Math.
From my experience over the years -- the surplus and shortages in teachers can fluctuate greatly from year to year and in various geographical areas.

In the southeast they always seem to be looking for teachers.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year

Old 05-27-2020, 09:22 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
If their jobs aren't cut, they'll be back, especially as it'll be hard to find other work. They are just posturing for the media.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
From my experience over the years -- the surplus and shortages in teachers can fluctuate greatly from year to year and in various geographical areas.

In the southeast they always seem to be looking for teachers.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year
Anyone in their right mind would be correct to assume that teachers qualified to teach high school math would be rare, and yet there are no full-time teaching job opportunities. Only substitute teaching positions available. 'Language Arts' Ed School grads are a dime or less a dozen.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:29 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Where are you located because most localities have plenty of openings. Most secondary teachers have degrees in Math, Science and English and other majors with endorsements for teaching, "crayon curriculum" I don't think so.
I am an example of the problem the school system has finding teachers, particularly for STEM.

I have two degrees in Mathematics. BS and MS. But because I have not taken 2-3 years worth of Education classes, I am not qualified to teach in the Ohio school system. I have been, at various points in my career, willing to take the pay cut involved with going from a 2,080 hour (I'm salary, so that is minimum, and lol) work year in IT to the ~1,560 hour (yes, I know they work overtime, same as every salary-exempt worker in the world, so shut up) work year in education.

But to take that pay cut, I have to spend 2-3 years in school paying my guild tithe. Tons and tons of folks with advanced STEM degrees out there locked out of teaching until they pay that education guild tithe in time and money...and to take a pay cut, well, that's not a particularly good ROI.

Plus, all any of us private sector STEM folks hear is how bad administrators are, how much daycare vs actual teaching happens, and oh by the by, teachers constantly complaining that they work 371 hours of overtime per week GRADING PAPERS!!! Nothing but horror stories from people in the job (who apparently will not work anywhere else...oddly) and a guild tithe/cert system that locks anyone out from even trying to join up...and all for a pay cut? Where's my incentive again?

Funny thing about teaching math in Ohio. The credit hour requirement of mathematics courses for a Math teaching degree is half what is required for just having a plain old Math degree. You need to know less Math to teach it than you do to have the first step in being a Mathematician. True story - even with a PhD, to teach K-12 math, you still need to pay the education guild tithe.

Lots and lots of STEM degree'd folks out there all too willing to "retire early" from the rat race of corporate gigs and take summers off, but we are all locked out because of the guild system.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:31 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
My organization is experiencing some of the same concerns with teachers in our early childhood education classrooms. We're expecting some attrition when we reopen later this month. We won't be doing distance learning, so there's none of that concern, but some teachers either want to stay home with their own kids, or don't want to deal with the hassle of following the state department of ed's guidelines in keeping the classrooms clean and keeping the kids from sneezing and coughing all over each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Bring back juvenile detention centers.
That's not what "special needs" means, but I think you know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You can't call it education when they are trying to teach children that they can be whatever gender they damn feel feel like.
You got a link to that curriculum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Nice. Logical fallacies! I like it.
Yes, that certainly was an illustration of why we need public education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
True, our public education is a colossal failure on many levels and the Left indoctrinating them to be anti science and anti logic is probably the biggest failure.
Wait ... what? How is "the left" "anti-science and anti-logic"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Instead of learning nothing in the school and me paying for it, they'll go back to learning nothing at home and me not paying for it.
You'll still be paying for it. Public education isn't going anywhere.

Quote:
My sister-in-law taught special needs for 12 years, and those kids learn nothing. Her job was daycare and taking care of basic hygiene those kids' parents refused to do.
Well, then, she was a poor teacher. Special needs kids are capable of learning if they have support and encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As folks condemn the public school system, they condemn that those school systems won't open.
Hilarious, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies