Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 07:50 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times

Advertisements

I was raised around republicans and my initial political stance was that way. However, I had become disillusioned with the party on it's fiscal conservation hypocrisy, warmongering and blind eye to DoD wastefulness, stance on drugs, and the stupid border wall.

The last few months have really changed my stance with the coronavirus response and the recent protests. With coronavirus, the democratic led states have refused to loosen their control despite the overwhelming evidence that the virus is not at all the threat predicted when the shutdown started and they've used the economic carnage to justify MASSIVE redistribution of funds, to groups that they want funds directed at.

With the recent protests, I'm flat out disgusted how the left has responded, justifying the anarchy and wreckage and completely ignoring any injustices aside from their soapbox of black oppression. Growing up in a pretty well diversified group of friends and acquaintances, their laundry list of "prejudice" just does not match my experience in life. Before I may have been sympathetic to a historical plight of injustice. Now, I realize articles like this are just tools to divide people, keep them in this pigeonhole mentality of being "the victim" or "the oppressor" and using minorities as pawns to accomplish their own agenda. The inclusiveness of the left is hypocrisy, they are more hostile towards anyone not like them or who does not think like them than the good ole boys of the GOP ever were.

I still think republicans are dumb and Trump is an idiot, but I'm absolutely terrified of what the "progressive" lefts agenda is. As of now, I'm planning to vote R on my ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 07:53 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
you sound pretty logical. life is often about choosing the better of two or more not particularly great options.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:56 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
The progressive agenda can only advance when people are fat, dumb, and happy, because it is the indulgence of those whose basic needs are met. But when stark reality stares one in the face, the platitudes of the left suddenly are exposed for the empty twaddle that they are. The irony is that progressives like to sow division, yet their agenda needs a background of stability and prosperity in order to take root.

In any case, I'm glad to see your eyes opening. Maybe some good can come from all of these horrible things that are happening.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:24 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I was raised around republicans and my initial political stance was that way. However, I had become disillusioned with the party on it's fiscal conservation hypocrisy, warmongering and blind eye to DoD wastefulness, stance on drugs, and the stupid border wall.

The last few months have really changed my stance with the coronavirus response and the recent protests. With coronavirus, the democratic led states have refused to loosen their control despite the overwhelming evidence that the virus is not at all the threat predicted when the shutdown started and they've used the economic carnage to justify MASSIVE redistribution of funds, to groups that they want funds directed at.

With the recent protests, I'm flat out disgusted how the left has responded, justifying the anarchy and wreckage and completely ignoring any injustices aside from their soapbox of black oppression. Growing up in a pretty well diversified group of friends and acquaintances, their laundry list of "prejudice" just does not match my experience in life. Before I may have been sympathetic to a historical plight of injustice. Now, I realize articles like this are just tools to divide people, keep them in this pigeonhole mentality of being "the victim" or "the oppressor" and using minorities as pawns to accomplish their own agenda. The inclusiveness of the left is hypocrisy, they are more hostile towards anyone not like them or who does not think like them than the good ole boys of the GOP ever were.

I still think republicans are dumb and Trump is an idiot, but I'm absolutely terrified of what the "progressive" lefts agenda is. As of now, I'm planning to vote R on my ballot.
The D party nominated Biden, the least radical progressive candidate.

You’re saying you needed Joe Lieberman?

Old 06-03-2020, 08:29 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
OP, you're going to notice a lot of mentally ill people trying to convince you that you are now crazy. That's how you know you've seen the light and are on the right path.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:37 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The D party nominated Biden, the least radical progressive candidate.

You’re saying you needed Joe Lieberman?
I keep hearing this.

Is there some other Biden?

Because it’s not open borders Biden
Because it’s not free healthcare for illegals Biden
Because it’s not I’ll pick my VP based on sex Biden
Because it’s not reparations Biden
Because it’s not student loan forgiveness Biden
Because it’s not green new deal Biden
Because it’s not pay the bail of rioting democrats Biden

Who/where is this moderate Biden I keep hearing about?

Old 06-03-2020, 08:39 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times
Sounds like you think for yourself. And what you said is a big deal. I used to be liberal but as I got older I understand more on how things work from the big picture.

The more the federal government gets involved the more things seem to get worse.

610 posts, read 264,259 times
Wow, pretty sure we are the same person lol. Fellow Millennial who is also swaying more right for the exact reasons you described. Additionally, the SJW and constant virtue signaling culture of the left is exhausting. I literally had someone cuss me out because I did not participate in the social media "blackout" movement yesterday, which apparently makes you a flaming racist or whatever.

11,404 posts, read 4,088,583 times
As long as you're in the center.

I was center-right my entire life, but have shifted to center-left over the last 3.5 years since Trump took office.

If a competent, respectable republican ever takes over as president again, I may jump back to center-right.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:40 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I keep hearing this.

Is there some other Biden?

Because it’s not open borders Biden
Because it’s not free healthcare for illegals Biden
Because it’s not I’ll pick my VP based on sex Biden
Because it’s not reparations Biden
Because it’s not student loan forgiveness Biden
Because it’s not green new deal Biden
Because it’s not pay the bail of rioting democrats Biden

Who/where is this moderate Biden I keep hearing about?
He was the most conservative candidate in the D party primary.

And the right’s failure to evolve with the times on social issues is honestly part of the problem with some people pushing the left too far left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies