Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 07:43 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Exactly.

Telling the kids to pick one over the other is setting up parameters that may not otherwise exist, in an attempt to obtain a result that might otherwise not even happen.
Watch their eyes when picking. They are seeking the right answer and looking for approval. They think there is a right/wrong answer. And the study itself is based on the notion that the kids are absolutely on point - that there is indeed a right/wrong answer.

Racism is bad. If a random sample of 3-7 year olds does not split exactly 50/50 on which dolls are bad/pretty/good/ugly/whatever, that is bad. If children that have been collectivized according to a group they had no choice in joining do not choose the doll that represents their group to be the "good one" and the doll that represents the other group to be the "bad one" they have chosen badly or wrong.

Also, the test itself represents the false dilemma thinking that both racist and race huckster promote - there are two races and one is good while the other is bad.

Dear 3 year old - one of the dolls is bad, the other is good. That teaches every child in the study that race is the sole determinant of bad/good. Nice. Where is the "neither" and "both" options? Neither is bad, both are good. Neither is ugly, both are pretty. No no, even the "scientists" who dreamed up the study set about trying to give credibility to what is inherently a false dilemma argument. Not one kid is asked are both dolls pretty? Are both dolls good? Are you good, and would that make the doll that looks like you good too? Etc.

Nope. Just "race determines bad and good, now pick the good race and bad one. TYVM."

Also, the study gives us no background on each kid, other than the aforementioned blunt tool of race. Did every kid have the same family socioeconomic basis? Did all the kids have two parent, married, middle class, etc home lives? Were all the kids from the same school, was the school perfectly racially integrated along race lines? Etc.

That study has been questioned consistently since it was first done in the 50s. Rightfully so, since like much of social science "research" that forms a conclusion then builds a study around nothing else but supporting that specific conclusion while discarding anything that might not, that study had a predetermined use and purpose, and the study was nothing more than a hamfisted data collection to give any credence whatsoever to the predetermined outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 07:43 AM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Okay, here is something that relates.
My neighbor was taking care of her four year old granddaughter the other day and told me she was shocked that when she drove her granddaughter downtown she was afraid to get out of the car because there were black people standing nearby. She started crying and said, “they will hurt me”
Both my neighbor and this girl’s parents are very liberal — so where did this young girl get that information?

Old 06-09-2020, 07:44 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I believe that children of this age know this is a test and that there is expected to be a right and wrong answer. And they want to get the right answer, even if it isn't what they think.
I agree but how do they know what the right and wrong answers are?

Old 06-09-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
which begs the question - why are black adults teaching little black kids that they're ugly, bad, or worse than white kids?
Because white domination has conditioned people to see the world in such a way that favors things white. People don't generally like wearing the Jersey of teams with bad records, unless you are from that city. When you are at the top, you set the standards de facto.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Okay, here is something that relates.
My neighbor was taking care of her four year old granddaughter the other day and told me she was shocked that when she drove her granddaughter downtown she was afraid to get out of the car because there were black people standing nearby. She started crying and said, “they will hurt me”
Both my neighbor and this girl’s parents are very liberal — so where did this young girl get that information?
One of my best friends is black. The first time my youngest son was introduced to him at maybe 9 months old, he screamed like he had seen the devil himself. This is a good looking, always smiling dude but who is quite dark skinned. He said "kid hasn't seen many black people, eh?" After that day and being introduced my son loves him. I have no explanation for it. this wasn't taught. My son was in a day care at the time with a diverse group....out of 10 kids 3 white, 4 Asian, 2 Hispanic and 1 black. So it's not like he'd never seen a black person before and he'd certainly seen many non-whites.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
give us 3 examples
Statistics.

News.

Conditions

Old 06-09-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Last night on local NY news there was an interview with a young black woman regarding the Floyd case and protests.

She was attractive, very well spoken and obviously educated, and her response in the interview was "I feel the trauma of racism every day....I hear the stories from my grandfather how the police treated him badly and it hurts me"

That's exactly it. She "feels" the trauma of racism, whether she is actually being discriminated against or not.

How can we get past that? I wouldn't tell anyone they can't learn their history, but what good is it doing this more than capable young woman to instill "trauma" in her that she's never actually endured? Do the grandchildren of Jewish holocaust survivors feel "trauma" too?
Well....if she told her personal stories of racism you probably would, at worst, reject that what she was experiencing was racism and at best accept it but say that is anecdotal.

I am 55. I got stories to tell up the ying yang. However....I don't tell because this is not about ME. I did not really feel anything about the death of George Floyd. Why? Because my views on race, the police, etc is most profoundly the product of my personal experiences, the experience of my parents and grand parents, siblings, etc.

Here is the thing. You don't know when you are the victim of racism in MOST cases. You could have a name that sounds black or you could have an address that would lead people to assume you are black.....and your application or Resume gets thrown in the trash. How would you know?

Old 06-09-2020, 08:47 AM

11,795 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Haven't read the comments and it is very disconcerting but I'd like to know the backgrounds of these children. Do they live in inner city neighborhoods where they seen, heard and experienced violence. Are the neighborhoods somewhere where the cops are always present and arresting blacks?

My niece adopted a black child 15 yrs ago as her mom had her when the mother was only 14. My niece and her husband have never made race an issue. They let the child see her mother and sister as the girl became pregnant within a yr of having my niece's daughter. I couldn't be prouder of my niece's daughter and all of her accomplishments. She doesn't see color she sees people's character but I can imagine her viewing things much differently had she continued to live in the inner city.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:49 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I believe that children of this age know this is a test and that there is expected to be a right and wrong answer. And they want to get the right answer, even if it isn't what they think.
there's probably a LOT of truth to this too ... "evidenced" by their hesitation in choosing.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:51 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Perhaps they need to redo this 2010 doll test that was based on the 1939 doll test to see if there’s any improvement or change.

Study: White and black children biased toward lighter skin - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies