Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 01:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times

Advertisements

For those of y’all that aren’t parents of children asking. What can you do about this information. Use this to understand why people call for Black people and their “Allies” to only give to black businesses. They do this because unlike my people (Black African Immigrants) in general from clothes, to food to any cultural materials we support our local black African businesses without even trying. Black Americans do not have that cultural distance from White Americans Black American food/diet for the large part is shred with the White Americans for their region, same with clothes. So Black Americans if they really want to uplift their community have to go out of their way to go to Black businesses.

MY mother has zero preference in racial background of were she shops but when she’s whipping up a pot up Jollof Rice or Egusi Soup she can get a few Herbs from H-E-B but 90% of the materials she need she can find visiting the local African stores and about the only exception is the best fried fish (Closest to her preference of fish/spices/taste) is sold by a Vietnamese owned store. Without even trying we support our African small business owners. Nearly every black business except the black barbershop is in direct competition with their white counterparts due to cultural similarity. This isn’t anyone’s fault but the way it is.

So the best you can do with this info is not knocking black people for choosing to mostly shop at black-owned stores purposefully, because you can’t say empower your community then get angry when people attempt to do so. Do that at the least, no if you want to do more you can of course buy things from black businesses as well but make sure it’s actual quality and not just sourcing materials from there because it’s black owned. I don’t claim to be woke so outside of black barbershops for obvious reasons I don’t ever choose a black business over a white business or vice versa. But if you really want to do your part that’s probably the best way to empower the black community. It would certainly do more than idiots wanting to defund completely police departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 01:56 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Weird story. When I was a kid, reading books and watching alot of TV were some of the things I did. When you see images on TV of White males with certain hairstyles, and they have all the girls, well, let's put it this way. I tried using the hair grease in my house to style my hair that way. I did it once or twice only to find out my hair wasn't meant for that. I never did that again.

I think about mainstream American culture. I grew up in it. At the same time, I struggled to fit in. I remember when skateboarding was a big thing. Mind you, I'm a baseball person. Skateboarding isn't my thing. When I tried to skateboard, to fit in with the neighborhood kids, I got bullied and turned away by said skateboarders. There are times I have questioned if I was well-served I am by mainstream American culture.
I am 55. When I was a teenager in Michigan white youth all rode in the front seat of the cars. When I would be out in the suburbs...you would see all these white kids pilled into the front seat of the cars and the back seat totally empty. I always thought this to be strange behavior, never understanding the reasoning behind it. Then I got a job working at a suburban restaurant (there were no white kids or people in my neighborhood or school). Me and some of the other co-workers, all white, were going to ride down the street to the mall. They all go to pile into the front seat of the car. I asked why no one is getting in the back and then one of my co-workers shamefully, with guilt, said "It's called riding N". Nobody wants to ride in the back. I was stunned...but not surprised because Michigan was a very racist place.

I could tell you a TON of stories of my experience with white racism and their attitudes as a youth. However, what is the point? It shaped who I am today. I do not need the media or "liberals" to shape by feelings about race. I have enough personal experience for that. To be fair, however, I have met some GREAT white people as well...but they did not offset the behavior of the other whites. I could have very easily ended up one of those people doing time for a crime that I never committed...based upon the number of times whites accused me of slit I never did...from robbery to petty theft. Never did any of that stuff. However, around whites as a youth...it seems like I was a perennial suspect and don't get me started on the police.

I generally do not talk about my personal experience because my life does not prove or disprove what I am usually attempting to argue about the big picture. My personal experience will just invoke some story from a white person about how they got beat up by some black guy....lol. Black people mostly resented white people for the why whites looked down upon and treated blacks. White peoples dislike and mistreatment of blacks was based upon seeing blacks as INFERIOR. Actions always create reactions. When you act negatively against a people that HAS DONE NOTHING TO YOU...you are creating the negative energy that will be redirected back at you. Actions produce equal and opposite reactions.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:57 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
You're blinded by racism.

Plenty of black inner city hoods where I would be murdered for being white. Maybe even in broad daylight.

I would like very much if you could fix that. Except I wonder if you even see it as a problem.

As far as me personally taking some responsibility or actions to fix the lives of black people who hate me because of my skin color...are you on drugs? Why would I waste my time? Damn right I never owned slaves, my ancestors came over in the early 1900's to the north. And I'm not Portuguese or English.

You might make better progress fixing the black community if you thought along the lines of class instead of race. Maybe.

The same bad welfare laws that kept father's out of the home actually did it in mine too. Except that it would have happened anyway.

I support these things...legalize weed, reboot the war on drugs, reform prisons and sentencing guidelines, close the border to keep cheap labor out, **** China and bring our jobs back home.

^^^^ which of those thoughts is keeping the black man down?

Old 06-09-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Maybe you should be Joe Biden's running mate as you are clearly racist.
Ok....but can I blame that on white racism too? Maybe I would not feel this way if it was not a reaction to 300 years of whites denigrating blacks. What did we do to you all?

Old 06-09-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
You're blinded by racism.

Plenty of black inner city hoods where I would be murdered for being white. Maybe even in broad daylight.

I would like very much if you could fix that. Except I wonder if you even see it as a problem.

As far as me personally taking some responsibility or actions to fix the lives of black people who hate me because of my skin color...are you on drugs? Why would I waste my time? Damn right I never owned slaves, my ancestors came over in the early 1900's to the north. And I'm not Portuguese or English.

You might make better progress fixing the black community if you thought along the lines of class instead of race. Maybe.

The same bad welfare laws that kept father's out of the home actually did it in mine too. Except that it would have happened anyway.

I support these things...legalize weed, reboot the war on drugs, reform prisons and sentencing guidelines, close the border to keep cheap labor out, **** China and bring our jobs back home.

^^^^ which of those thoughts is keeping the black man down?
Yeah....sticks and stones.....sticks and stones....lol. The only thing that you can call me that will give me pause is "liar".

Old 06-09-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
For those of y’all that aren’t parents of children asking. What can you do about this information. Use this to understand why people call for Black people and their “Allies” to only give to black businesses. They do this because unlike my people (Black African Immigrants) in general from clothes, to food to any cultural materials we support our local black African businesses without even trying. Black Americans do not have that cultural distance from White Americans Black American food/diet for the large part is shred with the White Americans for their region, same with clothes. So Black Americans if they really want to uplift their community have to go out of their way to go to Black businesses.

MY mother has zero preference in racial background of were she shops but when she’s whipping up a pot up Jollof Rice or Egusi Soup she can get a few Herbs from H-E-B but 90% of the materials she need she can find visiting the local African stores and about the only exception is the best fried fish (Closest to her preference of fish/spices/taste) is sold by a Vietnamese owned store. Without even trying we support our African small business owners. Nearly every black business except the black barbershop is in direct competition with their white counterparts due to cultural similarity. This isn’t anyone’s fault but the way it is.

So the best you can do with this info is not knocking black people for choosing to mostly shop at black-owned stores purposefully, because you can’t say empower your community then get angry when people attempt to do so. Do that at the least, no if you want to do more you can of course buy things from black businesses as well but make sure it’s actual quality and not just sourcing materials from there because it’s black owned. I don’t claim to be woke so outside of black barbershops for obvious reasons I don’t ever choose a black business over a white business or vice versa. But if you really want to do your part that’s probably the best way to empower the black community. It would certainly do more than idiots wanting to defund completely police departments.
Many of my closest friends, as an adult, are native Africans. There is a natural unity among them that is not spoken and its based upon shared culture. Africans kind of remind me of my parents generation. I envy what you all have in terms of knowing who you are and where you come from. That is a foundation on which to build something great. Nigerians....man. You guys are high achievers. I am glad you are in America, but with all that talent it could help lift up Nigeria. That is the problem for blacks the world over. Once we get educated and skilled....we move to white areas and black areas can't rise. There is nothing that would be as powerful to the hopes of many blacks than would a strong successful black nation.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No....I went right back to noting white behavior. For anyone that has not already figured it out.....victim mentality is code for pointing out white behavior and the ramifications of that behavior. Every action creates a reaction. Black people taking action to solve the problems in the black community will create a reaction from whites because the only way for blacks to solve black problems is for blacks to discriminate in favor of blacks. I am an advocate of this approach regardless of the reaction from whites. I am just noting that every action creates a reaction and the reaction of blacks discriminating to favor blacks is whites wanting to discriminate to favor whites and if not allowed to, they will seek to shut down the ability of blacks to do so, as well as increase their discrimination against blacks on the down low.

You call that knowledge "playing the victim". I call that knowledge "Pattern recognition".
first, you assume what the white reaction will be.

Second, you assume it will be to intentionally harm the blacks.

Third, you frankly ignore what the obvious "reaction" would be - that whites would just keep on utlizing the white businesses they're used to, even if they don't identify them as "white businesses".

Are you suggesting that whites quit patronizing black businesses at the height of Jim Crow, or once the Civil Rights Act was passed?

Now, if you're saying blacks would no longer do business with whites - that is, that black businesses wouldn't allow whites as customers - then any market that restricts itself to 15% of the population at the exclusion of the other 85%, they're likely to struggle.

The "reaction" to this is that white businesses would have to expand to serve more whites, since ~15% of their customers disappeared.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:20 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Yeah....sticks and stones.....sticks and stones....lol. The only thing that you can call me that will give me pause is "liar".
None of those words are meant to hurt you, so the fact that sticks and stones is all you can muster for a response says a lot.

What is your actual plan? You seem pathologically dishonest with yourself.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:22 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
I am 55. When I was a teenager in Michigan white youth all rode in the front seat of the cars. When I would be out in the suburbs...you would see all these white kids pilled into the front seat of the cars and the back seat totally empty. I always thought this to be strange behavior, never understanding the reasoning behind it. Then I got a job working at a suburban restaurant (there were no white kids or people in my neighborhood or school). Me and some of the other co-workers, all white, were going to ride down the street to the mall. They all go to pile into the front seat of the car. I asked why no one is getting in the back and then one of my co-workers shamefully, with guilt, said "It's called riding N". Nobody wants to ride in the back. I was stunned...but not surprised because Michigan was a very racist place.

I could tell you a TON of stories of my experience with white racism and their attitudes as a youth. However, what is the point? It shaped who I am today. I do not need the media or "liberals" to shape by feelings about race. I have enough personal experience for that. To be fair, however, I have met some GREAT white people as well...but they did not offset the behavior of the other whites. I could have very easily ended up one of those people doing time for a crime that I never committed...based upon the number of times whites accused me of slit I never did...from robbery to petty theft. Never did any of that stuff. However, around whites as a youth...it seems like I was a perennial suspect and don't get me started on the police.

I generally do not talk about my personal experience because my life does not prove or disprove what I am usually attempting to argue about the big picture. My personal experience will just invoke some story from a white person about how they got beat up by some black guy....lol. Black people mostly resented white people for the why whites looked down upon and treated blacks. White peoples dislike and mistreatment of blacks was based upon seeing blacks as INFERIOR. Actions always create reactions. When you act negatively against a people that HAS DONE NOTHING TO YOU...you are creating the negative energy that will be redirected back at you. Actions produce equal and opposite reactions.
You and I are very similar in age. I’m a year older than you and grew up in the South in an upper middle class area and black and white children were completely integrated, even when I was in elementary school, both private and public.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:25 PM

860 posts, read 322,135 times
Quote:
America needs to address racism from the psychological point of view, as well as the economic and physical point of view. The profession you rarely hear quoted in regards to racism, black people, etc, are psychologist. The profession that studies human behavior and the motives behind them is never asked to look into the racial mindset and the cause and effects upon American society. Why? It makes sense that such needs to be done.

The black doll white doll test is by no means scientific and is not without flaws in the way it was conducted. However, it would be a travesty to throw out the TRUTH being told because of the flaws in the way it was conducted or presented. The findings are VALID...even if the methodology is flawed. Many of us, who are black, KNOW this to be true. Its not always true for everyone. I need to say that because many whites like to debunk a claim by showing that its not an ABSOLUTE.

I believe that these youths thoughts exist in the adult subconscious of America. Those youth are vocalizing thoughts that adults have suppressed into their subconscious.
STOP WALLOWING IN THE VICTIM MENTALITY. My God, you seem to see EVERYTHING through racist glasses. No wonder you cannot get out of your own way. The only one holding you down is YOU.

Signed,

A black man who does not make excuses or call all whites naturally racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies