Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 06:58 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,638,101 times

Advertisements

Its just a flag right, a piece of cloth. Could somebody here please explain what is so damned offensive about a piece of cloth? Describe in detail if you can.

I see nothing wrong with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 07:03 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,296,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Its just a flag right, a piece of cloth. Could somebody here please explain what is so damned offensive about a piece of cloth? Describe in detail if you can.

Then there should be no ruckus over NASCAR making this decision. It’s just cloth. It’s NASCAR’s right to prohibit it.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,251,449 times
Quote:
What exactly is your problem with the Confederate Flag? It's shape? Colors? What does it represent that so doth offend thee?
The Southern Swastika was the rag of traitors who attacked and tried to destroy America so that they could continue to own other humans.

Other than that...

Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 AM

1,049 posts, read 655,254 times
Quote:

There are several reasons why someone may be offended by that flag.

1) It represented the states that at that time heavily supported states. The northern states were not saints in any way as far as race goes either but one of the reasons for the war was slavery along with state and property rights.

2) These symbols were revived in the 1950s and 60s just in time for the Civil Rights Movement which was seen as intimidation.

3) Some people are offended by it because it represents a dark time in US History that resulted in our deadliest war in US History and resulted in family and friends fighting against eachother. Others see it as a sign of treason and a way to separate the Union.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:09 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,251,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Another country that was born out of oppression and hatred for another race (or races) was Nazi Germany. Do we commonly see Nazi flags flying at soccer games there? No. And it is immediately associated with a symbol of hate - because it is and has been since its inception.

No one "let the flag become of symbol of evil." It was born as a symbol of evil; oppression of other races.

The Confederates committed treason in the name of maintaining slavery. Why should that non-existent country be celebrated in any way?
You don't see Nazi flags in Germany, either. If you run a swastika up a flagpole in Germany, you go to jail for a couple of years, mandatory.

The Germans learned from their mistakes. The rednecks, not so much...

Old 06-11-2020, 07:13 AM

860 posts, read 322,613 times
The flag can represent two completely different things. To many, it recognizes history, ancestry, memories. To others, it can represent hate, oppression and slavery. None of us can claim what it means to everyone or to any one individual. Only each person knows what is in their heart.

In my opinion this move was made for two reasons. First - Every corporation is in fear of being called out for not doing something, so this is them doing something. Second - They have a diversity program. They have been trying to bring up POC through the ranks. More diversity equals more viewers. They do not want to have something that will put off potential drivers & fans. This was the perfect opportunity to make that final change.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:17 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
Quote:

Probably because you can unify people with a flag. Its why we are encouraged to; stand, put our hand over our heart, turn and face a piece of cloth, and pledge to adhere to certain ideals. Long after the Civil War the Confederate flag was used to unified some people whose ideals were in opposition to American and Christian values.

IMO it's a little like what happened to Rap music. At one time it was dominated by artist like Blowfly, who was a comedian, the Last Poets ,who were social activists and Run DMC and the Sugar Hill Gang who were party guys. Today Rap is almost exclusively associated with black gangs and thug life. One it crossed that line there was no going back.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:32 AM

57,378 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:

So do you feel the same way about the American flag or Nazi flags, just a piece of cloth.

It is symbolic of slavery same as the statues celebrating confederate leaders.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:39 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,122,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The confederate flag is a seditious flag. Not that it bothers me when I see people flying it, but I'm confused that most of the people who do fly it consider themselves loyal, patriotic Americans. Because the flag is a symbol of sedition, the confederate fought against the concept of a 'United States of America.' So people who fly the confederate flag should be treated no different from people who fly the al-Qaeda flag.
I have also thought the same when I saw it.... Grew up in the south and oddly enough no one can adequately answer when posed with such a question.

Most just say it is a show of "Southern Pride". Okay... fine.. I've met people that say the Nazi flag wasn't about genocide but about Aryan pride.

It doesn't matter what it means to you individually. People are more than welcome to hang the flag in your home. It does matter what it means to other people when displayed publicly... just like what you say in public has consequences.

While I agree with a previous post that the real reason for the Civil war was one based in succession and economics, both the North and South sold it to the wider public as a fight over slavery. So the perceptions are based on that... North being anti-slavery and South being pro-slavery. Both the Northern AND Southern politicians of that time take responsibility for associating that flag as a symbol of racism.... not those that take offense to it today.

Go out to a straight man in public and say "He looks gay.", he most likely would take it in the wrong manner. Prior to the 1960s it would be a compliment. Perceptions are everything and what you say (display) in public is important with consequences. Society of the 1960s take responsibility with the redefining of the word "gay".... those that take offense to it today are not the ones to be blamed.

You don't get to define the context... perceptions do.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:41 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,296,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So do you feel the same way about the American flag or Nazi flags, just a piece of cloth.

It is symbolic of slavery same as the statues celebrating confederate leaders.
Good point.

Many people have their panties in a bunch when they pretend NFL kneelers are protesting that American... cloth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies