Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 08:13 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
In context of current event, yep.

So the timing of it was stupid, not the content?

Old 06-19-2020, 08:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
So the timing of it was stupid, not the content?
The content is still dismissive, but said at a different point in time, it might well have flown under the radar.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:18 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Read the cartoon - or have someone read it to you.

If you still don't understand, there's really nothing to talk about.
I read the cartoon, and I understand the point it's trying to make. But here's my take. The BLM "house" is ALWAYS "on fire." There is never a time when the white, Asian, or Hispanic "house" has an issue that BLM feels is more important than their house being on fire. When has anyone been able to say "All Lives Matter" without being excoriated by the BLM activists?

Black lives matter. But they don't matter MORE than white or Asian or Hispanic lives. And I've long since gotten tired of always having to have the spotlight shine on them, as if no one else ever has any concerns or needs that might need addressing as well.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:30 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times
Quote:
The content is still dismissive, but said at a different point in time, it might well have flown under the radar.
Dismissive(of a political slogan/movement), but not stupid. We are getting somewhere.

So she said something non stupid (nor illegal, nor against school policy). Something that is not controversial at another time because there was nothing stupid or illegal or against policy in it, and she lost her job.

This will be an expensive mistake by the school board. And a terrible example and lesson for the children of the racist parents who had the feelings hurt because someone didn't bow down to their bullying. What chance do those kids have with role models like that?

Old 06-19-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Dismissive(of a political slogan/movement), but not stupid. We are getting somewhere.

So she said something non stupid (nor illegal, nor against school policy). Something that is not controversial at another time because there was nothing stupid or illegal or against policy in it, and she lost her job.

This will be an expensive mistake by the school board. And a terrible example and lesson for the children of the racist parents who had the feelings hurt because someone didn't bow down to their bullying. What chance do those kids have with role models like that?
Well, "stupid" is a matter of opinion. I think it's "stupid" to be dismissive of a movement that is striving (even imperfectly) for racial equality.

I didn't say it would have been non-controversial at another time. Please don't put words in my mouth. I said it likely would have garnered less attention. That's not the same thing. It obviously wasn't "illegal" to say. We apparently disagree that it was "stupid". Do you have any evidence to indicate it wasn't "against policy?

Not my job to raise other people's kids. If only the folks involved in this kerfuffle, on both sides, were the worst examples of parenting out there.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well, "stupid" is a matter of opinion. I think it's "stupid" to be dismissive of a movement that is striving (even imperfectly) for racial equality.
Which movement would that be? Certainly not Black Lives Matter. They're striving for black superiority, and they're using violence and the threat of violence to do so.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I read the cartoon, and I understand the point it's trying to make. But here's my take. The BLM "house" is ALWAYS "on fire." There is never a time when the white, Asian, or Hispanic "house" has an issue that BLM feels is more important than their house being on fire. When has anyone been able to say "All Lives Matter" without being excoriated by the BLM activists?

Black lives matter. But they don't matter MORE than white or Asian or Hispanic lives. And I've long since gotten tired of always having to have the spotlight shine on them, as if no one else ever has any concerns or needs that might need addressing as well.
Agreed.

If you believe that whites, Asians and Hispanics are dealing with the same exact issues that black folks are, especially when it comes to interactions with LEOs, you're only fooling yourself, IMO.

The cartoon literally addresses the fact that other things need addressing, too (the house having dry rot bit).

It's a pretty efficient, and easy to understand, illustration of the scenario all the way around, again IMO.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Which movement would that be? Certainly not Black Lives Matter. They're striving for black superiority, and they're using violence and the threat of violence to do so.
I disagree.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
It's a pretty efficient, and easy to understand, illustration of the scenario all the way around, again IMO.
And I agree, it illustrates the point that, sometimes, black concerns need to be front and center. But again I ask, when has BLM ever conceded that someone else might have concerns too? And are willing to allow someone to say "all lives matter" without getting up in arms about it?

Old 06-19-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
And I agree, it illustrates the point that, sometimes, black concerns need to be front and center. But again I ask, when has BLM ever conceded that someone else might have concerns too? And are willing to allow someone to say "all lives matter" without getting up in arms about it?
I have no idea.

When was the last time the Susan G Komen Foundation released a statement that said "Yeah, colon cancer is pretty bad, too."? I don't think I've ever seen it.

When has the American Cancer Society said "You know, epilepsy is also an issue."?

Organizations formed around one specific thing usually only attempt to address that one specific thing. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies