Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 05:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
How much freedom does someone really have when the consequences can be severe?

Freedom of speech, but if you say the wrong thing, your entire life will be stripped from you; how is that going to promote thoughts and debates? It will essentially shut everyone down out of fear, and create a powder keg of some sorts.
Life ain't fair. Acceptable behavior evolves within a society. That you don't like your options doesn't mean you don't have options.

Better build a bridge and get over it....

Old 06-19-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
The consequences being an army of self-righteous crusaders doing whatever they can to destroy lives because of not adhering to every point of an ideology.
Best put on your big-boy pants, I suppose.

If this is someone's biggest challenge to deal with, they've got it pretty damned good, honestly.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:57 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,756,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Best put on your big-boy pants, I suppose.

If this is someone's biggest challenge to deal with, they've got it pretty damned good, honestly.
dealing with terrorists is easy? I disagree.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it absolutely is.

should the consequences for saying that you’re not racist just because you don’t virtue-signal like a blithering idiot be getting fired?

No, it's not.

I don't know what the reaction "should" be. What do you suggest? Do we introduce even more protected classes? I'm not much of a fan of that. Do we get rid of "at will" employment? Don't like that much, either.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
dealing with terrorists is easy? I disagree.
Terrorists?

Old 06-19-2020, 06:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Here's what this boils down to.

A principal is supposed to be on the side of those who are trying to get through this and heal, as a community and a country. Building positive bridges, being a voice for calm. And instead, she used her voice to further fluff up descension. Basically, "I'm not with BLM because y'all aren't more valuable than we are". That was the message.

If she wanted to support the police, there are countless lovely links showing cops going above and beyond the call of duty, risking themselves, being heroic and exceptionally kind. Posting a link like that, and saying something along the lines of "look for the good - it's all around us" is what she is expected to do, if she comments on this movement at all.

That would have been a very welcome voice, and would have been a positive shout out to law enforcement.

Throwing further fuel into the fire, which is what her post did, and what she intended it to do, is NOT the demeanor she was expected to display.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

A principal is supposed to be on the side of those who are trying to get through this and heal, as a community and a country. Building positive bridges, being a voice for calm. And instead, she used her voice to further fluff up descension. Basically, "I'm not with BLM because y'all aren't more valuable than we are". That was the message.

If she wanted to support the police, there are countless lovely links showing cops going above and beyond the call of duty, risking themselves, being heroic and exceptionally kind. Posting a link like that, and saying something along the lines of "look for the good - it's all around us" is what she is expected to do, if she comments on this movement at all.

Throwing further fuel into the fire, which is what her post did, and what she intended it to do, is NOT the demeanor she was expected to display.
It's obvious to anyone with the eyes to see it.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Terrorists?
people who use fear to advance a political agenda? in this case the fear of losing one's job. yes, this is the textbook definition of terrorism. BLM is a terrorist organization. just because the words hurt you, doesn't make them less true.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

That would have been a very welcome voice, and would have been a positive shout out to law enforcement.

by this I assume you mean the less than 1% of the population that's black? I've heard of mob rule before. what's this?

Old 06-19-2020, 06:48 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Intolerance is the new black. Hey, catchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies