Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 06:51 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This is not a 1A issue.
Since she is being punished by a government entity for her private speech, it certainly is a 1A issue.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:54 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Keep your politics off FB.

Family and hobbies. That is it.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:55 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Posting BLACK LIVES MATTER and DEFUND THE POLICE would have been just as bad.
But would they have lost her the job?

You know the answer is no. And thats the problem.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

I don't know.

I'm not sure it would have come to the attention of the administration; the recent graduates from her school were the ones who were upset enough to report her post to the district.

In this era (say, the last 30 years or so) when people think it's a good idea to publicly announce every thought that crosses their minds, and not consider filtering negative thoughts for the purposes of diplomacy and professionalism, nuances are being lost.

I would venture most school principals would know, instinctively, not to fluff up anger in a time when the nation seems on fire with it. Instinctively.

And those who don't have that instinct and social intelligence, are going to end up afoul of the school administration.

You can post opinions in favor of the police all you want, you just have to do it in a positive and community uplifting way.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:04 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Posting BLACK LIVES MATTER and DEFUND THE POLICE would have been just as bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

exactly.

that would have gotten her a raise and a profile in the school news paper.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:09 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:
On a personal level, I absolutely agree with her viewpoint.

She should just know that as a principal, she should keep her mouth shut on a social forum where she's not anonymous, taking sides on this issue.

Principals, preachers, school superintendents, mayors, police chiefs, etc. have to be more circumspect than, say, a checker at the grocery store when publicly expressing opinions.
Public-facing public employees should indeed be circumspect in their professional and even personal conduct. But that doesn't mean they surrender their free speech rights altogether; they are entitled to have and share opinions on the major issues of the day just like the ret of us.

We cannot continue to let the outrage mob control what we are allowed to say or where and when we're allowed to say it. People with the courage to fight back shouldn't be told by the rest of us "just lay low and go along with whatever craziness is taking over the current zeitgeist." Enough is enough -- it's time to take a stand against the cultural bullies, and if you won't, then at least provide moral support for those who do.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:11 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
A principal is supposed to be on the side of those who are trying to get through this and heal, as a community and a country. Building positive bridges, being a voice for calm.
The other side is rioting; burning buildings; physically assaulting people; taking over parts of major cities; trying to overturn the election of the President; calling people racist based on nothing but the color of their skin; demanding one concession after another; bombarding us with constant messages about how woke they are, and how un-woke we are; calling us names -- and yet, WE are the ones who are supposed to heal and build bridges? I'd like to see some sort of indication that the other side desires the same thing, because so far, all I've seen is the exact opposite.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:11 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
I don't know.
Oh come on........you do so.

She lost her job for wrongthink.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:12 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
I fully support the aims of the Black Lives Movement...and would have no issue with participating in one of their protests. But I see absolutely nothing wrong with this principal's post. She should have not been fired.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
people who use fear to advance a political agenda? in this case the fear of losing one's job. yes, this is the textbook definition of terrorism. BLM is a terrorist organization. just because the words hurt you, doesn't make them less true.
Well, your opinion doesn't "hurt me" a bit.

What makes your interpretation "less true" is accepted definition and common usage:

ter·ror·ism
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
(emphasis mine)

Why don't you head on over to your local VFW and tell some of the Afghanistan vets about these "terrorists" and see what they have to say about terrorism.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.