Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Since she is being punished by a government entity for her private speech, it certainly is a 1A issue.
Good luck selling that argument in court.

Many, MANY teachers and employees of public schools have been fired or disciplined for things they've said. Here's an example local to me - in fact one of my very best friends is a teacher at GLHS. Doesn't sound like any of the teachers were surprised by his firing and it hasn't been challenged in any way, that I'm aware of.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...rge-floyd.html

Can you list a few that were successfully challenged on 1A grounds?

Old 06-19-2020, 07:23 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Well, your opinion doesn't "hurt me" a bit.

What makes your interpretation "less true" is accepted definition and common usage:

ter·ror·ism
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
(emphasis mine)

Why don't you head on over to your local VFW and tell some of the Afghanistan vets about these "terrorists" and see what they have to say about terrorism.

thank you for hammering my point home. did you mean to prove me right, or were you trying to act smart? I think I have just a wee more experience on the topic, junior. apparently baby didn't get his juice, because I hurt him right in the griefbone when I started spittin facts.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:25 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Well, your opinion doesn't "hurt me" a bit.

What makes your interpretation "less true" is accepted definition and common usage:

ter·ror·ism
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
(emphasis mine)

Why don't you head on over to your local VFW and tell some of the Afghanistan vets about these "terrorists" and see what they have to say about terrorism.

Own goal.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:26 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Vermont is the state that keeps electing Bernie Sanders. It is inevitable that they would immediately swat down anyone that didn't immediately kowtow to the party line.

Physically, Vermont is very beautiful. But there are 49 other states that I'd choose to live in before I moved to that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Marxist Purge continues. Comply or else you lose your job and get blackballed. People are afraid to speak their minds and for good reason.
I agree this principal did nothing wrong and should not have been fired. But most of us on the left are not Marxists....not even close. That sort if rhetoric doesn't help. People can disagree with one another without throwing labels like that around. I am not a Marxist and I am just as patriotic as anyone. That doesn't mean that I don't think our society has deep issue s, and that many of those issues don't still revolve around racism.
I mean....think about it....the Dems have won the popular vote in every US presidential election since 1988 with the lone exception of 2004...and the vote that year was close.. ..half or a little over half of the total US voting population is not Marxist or anything resembling that!
And I have been treated badly by some of those on the right for voicing my opinions even though I did so politely. A few months back I was even physically confronted by two Trump supporters whom I had never met before in my life... after I jokingly replied that I could not be blamed for Bush or Trump to a store clerk who had looked at my name on my debit card and noticed that I share the same last name as former President Bush and joked that I couldn't blame anyone if oil prices went up. That was the whole conversation up to that point. But one of the Trump supporter instantly got in my face... his facial expression was one of complete anger...his chest about six inches from mine...fist balled up...and began yelling at me and poking me in my chest asking what my problem was with our president. His buddy didn't say anything but was standing right behind him. I literally thought there was going to be a fight, that I was about to be attacked, but the store clerk and me were able to deescalate the situation.
There is plenty if crazy on both sides.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 06-19-2020 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-19-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
thank you for hammering my point home. did you mean to prove me right, or were you trying to act smart? I think I have just a wee more experience on the topic, junior. apparently baby didn't get his juice, because I hurt him right in the griefbone when I started spittin facts.
What was unlawful about this? Where was the violence?

You're spittin' something, but it ain't facts, old-timer.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:32 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:

where is the violence with BLM? do you own a TV? I can't remember if michigan has electricity or not yet. if you're seriously asking where's the violence and criminal activity among BLM, you are to be dismissed and no longer taken seriously. cancel culture just got canceled and invalidated.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:32 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:
Good luck selling that argument in court.
I wouldn't need luck because previous lawyers long ago sold the courts on that argument.

Quote:
Many, MANY teachers and employees of public schools have been fired or disciplined for things they've said.
And many of them have successfully sued their former employers for denying them their free speech rights.

Quote:
Can you list a few that were successfully challenged on 1A grounds?
Are you serious? There's scads of case law on the subject. You can start with Pickering v Board of Education, Mt. Healthy v Doyle, Connick v. Meyers, Branti v. Finkel, or Rutan v Republican Party of Illinois.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
where is the violence with BLM? do you own a TV? I can't remember if michigan has electricity or not yet. if you're seriously asking where's the violence and criminal activity among BLM, you are to be dismissed and no longer taken seriously. cancel culture just got canceled and invalidated.
No, this thread isn't about "BLM". It's about a principal that got fired for saying dumb sh*t.

Do try to keep up.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
This months Burning and looting of my town is not a exercise of your first amendment nor a fight against racism nor justification because of american slavery history
60% of my towns businesses are minority

Old 06-19-2020, 07:36 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:

It will be found to be unlawful. And you misunderstood the use of the "and" in the sentence. By your rationale it isn't terrorism if only violence is involved without intimidation. Were the dead people in Oklahoma City bombing intimidated? Nope, they didn't even know what happened. Not terrorism according to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.