Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 07:29 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It is not, historically, used as a racial slur, even though there is a link to being ape-like, yes.

I'm aware of the racial connotations when comparing people to apes or monkeys and I'm more than well aware that words can have multiple meanings. Google image search the word. It's a reference to large, unintelligent people - usually male - and is a reference to Neanderthals or "cave men".

Sorry, you're reaching.
It's all perspective and past experience isn't it? I'm supposed to take someone at their word but I am not entitled to my interpretation?

Using terminology related to apes or gorillas when talking about protestors seeking relief from police brutality and racial injustice is problematic. I get that many of you consider the protestors stupid, brainwashed, godless, taking money from Soros, lawless, sheeple, etc. Really, I get it, and I certainly dont expect to change anyone's mind on here. But the racism on this board gets uglier by the day, and nothing is being done about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 07:36 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
A simple test: Go to any area with a number of mixed races including blacks along with your typical white anglo-saxon males and holler "knuckle dragger", then watch which races first approach you for some specific clarification.

Can I come watch?

Old 06-23-2020, 07:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
It's all perspective and past experience isn't it? I'm supposed to take someone at their word but I am not entitled to my interpretation?

Using terminology related to apes or gorillas when talking about protestors seeking relief from police brutality and racial injustice is problematic. I get that many of you consider the protestors stupid, brainwashed, godless, taking money from Soros, lawless, sheeple, etc. Really, I get it, and I certainly dont expect to change anyone's mind on here. But the racism on this board gets uglier by the day, and nothing is being done about it.
#1 - I support the idea behind Black Lives Matter and I fully support any and all protesting, whatever the cause. Rioting/looting is a different discussion.

I lean more progressive than conservative, so you're barking up the wrong tree there. You should really try to avoid jumping to conclusions about someone's ideology based on such a narrow discussion.

You are certainly entitled to your own interpretation, I never claimed otherwise. I was simply pointing out that the common usage of the word is, while definitely insulting, not racist or racially motivated. Look at the definition of that phrase and compare it to "spade" or something similar for further evidence. Have racists called black folks "knuckle-draggers" at some point? Probably. It is certainly not a widespread use of the word, even within that small and despicable community, to my knowledge.

Have a great day.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:48 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
It's also a slur because it can refer to an ape, which racists like to use to refer to Black people. Words can have multiple meanings.
Are you saying only black people are stupid enough to be out rioting, looting, burning their neighborhoods and assaulting innocent people? Racist much? I have seen far too many pigmentation deficient morons out there doing those same thing. Ignorance and violence isn't limited to any one race, in spite of what you seem to think. Savages are out there looting and rioting-but savages of every race.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,813 times
It’s Tuesday, the day of the week that has the highest death count due to piling up all the uncounted ones over the weekend. I predict that today will have even fewer deaths than the last Tuesday. My guess is today’s death toll will be around 800 and Wednesday through Friday will average around 650 a day bringing the 7 day average down to late March levels.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
It’s Tuesday, the day of the week that has the highest death count due to piling up all the uncounted ones over the weekend. I predict that today will have even fewer deaths than the last Tuesday. My guess is today’s death toll will be around 800 and Wednesday through Friday will average around 650 a day bringing the 7 day average down to late March levels.
You can predict but don't bet the farm on your prediction as "common sense" says otherwise and is now being used by some of the smarter ones.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...9Ue?li=AAggNb9

Old 06-23-2020, 01:31 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A simple test: Go to any area with a number of mixed races including blacks along with your typical white anglo-saxon males and holler "knuckle dragger", then watch which races first approach you for some specific clarification.

Can I come watch?
Which race are you implying thinks of themselves as "knuckle draggers"?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Per capita fatalities due to CV-19 are 75% lower in open states. Stats from The Sentinel, Kansas nonprofit. States that didn’t lock down kept the virus under control and had fewer deaths. Why is the media focusing on cases and not deaths? 99% recovery rate.

Is this about the virus or about the election?

Old 06-25-2020, 05:03 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Just making sure his "simple statement of fact" was set in the proper context.

What, you don't like facts when they derail your agenda? Again, I'm pretty calm here, just having a discussion and a debate? Why is what I typed so upsetting to you? You keep ignoring that. Do you disagree with what I typed? If yes, I'm open to hear why, and if you give a good explanation, maybe I'll change my point of view.

Actually, that's why I come here, to challenge my current beliefs, and sometimes*, someone will give me an explanation I hadn't considered, and I'll change. It's happened before. And FWIW, I'm actually a lot more skeptical of politicians on left and right, as a result. What about you, have you grown any? Have you learned anything, or are you too busy shouting insults and responses to hear what others are saying?
Yes, of course. If I write two sentences to argue with you, I am "upset." But if you write 10,000 words arguing with someone else (and with me), you are not "upset."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5VT-ofxdh4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies