Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 02:28 PM

174 posts, read 61,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Baltimore - despite being close to DC is a pretty good business hub. A fantastic and striving real estate market is there. And it has a pretty impressive and diverse upper middle class population. Many good government jobs and contracts are there and they're very lucrative.

Chicago - Probably the 2nd business financial markets in the country. Top 20 in the world. Ever heard of CBOE, CMS, etc?

St. Louis - it's a small city, but still has an impressive economy.

Like are you living under a rock? These cities are far from failures
What do you call 18 homicides in 24 hours that Chicago recently had?

Old 06-25-2020, 02:30 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterplease909 View Post
Well it's not surprising that there are 20 pages of answers and no liberal here can offer anything other than deflection, changing the subject or denial that there are any problems at all.

So! Let's try this...

- Do you agree that the elected leaders of a given city are responsible for both it's successes AND it's failures?
- Would you agree that homeless encampments, human feces, urine and drug needles in the streets, blight, food deserts, boarded up sections of cities, vandalism, crime, shootings, assault, rape, autonomous zones are a problem in your cities?
- What do you expect will be done to address it?

*Do not change the subject and start talking about Republican cities, make another post if you like. I am aware that there are some repub run cities with the same sort of problems but I don't think they were Republican run for most of their history. For example San Fran, Seattle, Atlanta and others have been democrat run for decades. I'm not sure the republican run cities have has such a monopoly of one-party leadership but I could be wrong. I also seriously doubt that any autonomous zones would be cropping up in repub cities. Either way, it's a different subject.

I expect crickets but I guess we will see.
I don’t buy your statement that these cities are failed so it’s hard to get past that original assumption.
A mayor is responsible for running a city the way his constituents want it run. The budget shows the priorities. If hey want more money for a preschool program and less money police that is not failed it’s just a different priority. Not everyone is against homeless encampments if the alternative is spending billions on homeless shelters in their neighborhood- that is a reality. There is not endless funds for every social ill.
The problems you listed to do not occur in every democratic city in every neighborhood. You have greatly exaggerated the problems from my first hand, on the ground, experience in some of these cities. You sound like chicken little.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:31 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Because bad things happen in cities they're failures? So we should ignore the good things in these cities and only focus on the bad things? So for Chicago to be a good city it must somehow produce 0 murders every year. Is this the curve we're grading cities on?

Old 06-25-2020, 02:35 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
No box, just want to know. If what is happening in places like Seattle, Minneapolis, Atlanta , Detroit and many others across the nation has nothing to do with Democrats and or progressive policies , what is it then ? Why aren't they like the utopia's you've compared them to ? My mind is open, please explain it to me ?
I've never said that any of those international cities are "utopias," nor would I, but if you've been to any of them (all ranked highly), you know what I'm talking about.

Again, I don't think Chicago, Minneapolis, NYC, or Boston are any closer to being "crapholes" than Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, or Overland Park, Kansas. But, if anything, the "problem" is that they're not (selectively, intentionally, carefully) liberal enough. And/or that they have to try to maintain more liberal policy within the framework of conservative federal policy.

Right off the top of my head: they're big cities with lots of people, but few of them have decent public transit. And there's the poor infrastructure. Both problems make it difficult for people, especially the working poor, to get to their jobs.

With lots of people comes lots of (public) health/mental health issues, but there's no universal healthcare, so a LOT of people have no access to medical attention.

Poor public schools, due in part to slashed budgets and communities that don't value education, means there's generational poverty. Yet big cities are expensive places to live. Poverty is a major factor in crime, and people with few skills and resources can't get ahead.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Stay on topic. This thread is about U.S. cities.

Can you defend any dem-controlled U.S. cities instead of trying to deflect?
Don't tell me how to post. This thread is ultimately a complaint of liberal policies. So, I bring up lots of other cities where liberal policies work just fine. I'm not "deflecting" in the least.

In any case, see my post above. I'll say it again: liberalism isn't the problem.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 06-25-2020 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 02:39 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You don't get it, even though I explained it very clearly.

Your article talks about people leaving, and nothing about people coming in.

What happens when 90 people leave and 100 comes in? Think about it. Take your time.
Your comment oversimplifies reality. What is occurring in America's largest cities, where only 20% live, is long time successful high income earners are leaving in droves, and they are being replaced with mostly immigrants who are poor and uneducated. This is decimating the big cities tax base, and causing strain on budgets, and cash flows.

This trend began years ago, and explains why these cities keep robbing from their own pension plans to pay the other bills. Most large city pension plans are grossly under-funded, and will not be able to payout as promised unless something changes....something big.

The immigrants are takers, and those who left (and who are leaving) are/were makers.

The New York to Florida corridor alone has cost New York Billions in annual tax revenues.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/tax-...ax-states.html

New York is auditing 100% of rich people who said they've left New York for places like Florida because New York is losing tax revenues so fast due to these moves.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:41 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Stay on topic. This thread is about U.S. cities.

Can you defend any dem-controlled U.S. cities instead of trying to deflect?
What do you mean "defend"? The city of NY alone generates as much economic output as Canada, a nation of 38 million. ONE CITY!

Its like asking people of Boston to apologize in behalf of the Patriots as if winning the Super Bowl is something to be ashamed of.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:44 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
I live in a super safe, super exclusive part of Bergen county N.J. Kelly Anne Conway is a neighbor for example. The biggest warning promoted by the police dept is not leaving a fob in your unlocked car. There were 3 murders within 5 miles last week. Does that mean my neighborhood is failing? Come on.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:46 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I've never said that any of those international cities are "utopias," nor would I, but if you've been to any of them (all ranked highly), you know what I'm talking about.

Again, I don't think Chicago, Minneapolis, NYC, or Boston are any closer to being "crapholes" than Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, or Overland Park, Kansas. But, if anything, the "problem" is that they're not (selectively, intentionally, carefully) liberal enough. And/or that they have to try to maintain more liberal policy within the framework of conservative federal policy.

Right off the top of my head: they're big cities with lots of people, but few of them have decent public transit. And there's the poor infrastructure. Both problems make it difficult for people, especially the working poor, to get to their jobs.

With lots of people comes lots of (public) health/mental health issues, but there's no universal healthcare, so a LOT of people have no access to medical attention.

Poor public schools, due in part to slashed budgets and communities that don't value education, means there's generational poverty. Yet big cities are expensive places to live. Poverty is a major factor in crime, and people with few skills and resources can't get ahead.
Kudos, you are actually the first one with a well thought out reply. I don't have time to address everything, but want to touch on the school thing briefly. Detroit public schools spends more per student (something like $12k ) than Birmingham ( a wealthy neighborhood ) does , yet has the worst scores in the country. I normally support unions, but DPS unions have to be the most corrupt and inept ones out there. Yet they fight against charter schools, which have proven successful, and was promoted by Devoss.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:48 PM

1,705 posts, read 537,691 times
Democratic cities, the economic engine that drives the US.. and subsidies the poor rural Republican areas.

ALL cities has problems.. ALL cities have problems..
Rich large cities that Democrats control, where most of the US GDP is created... have more, because they have money... Republican areas dont. So, people in need would be worse off in poor republican areas. And better off in Rich Democratic cities.
Strange huh..

Its like when Nevada shipped mentally ill people to California, instead of treating them in state. So California got a "surplus" of ill people they where not expecting. Because Republicans where cutting their own safety nets. Which probably still goes on.

And when there is ALOT of influx of people in need, from poor Republican areas into Rich Democratic cities.. those Rich Democratic cities are put under more stress, because "their" home state are not giving money to Rich Democratic cities (Remember Rich Democratic areas subsidize most poor Republican states, not the other way around), to help their citizens.

So... Large influx of people from Poor Republican areas, are putting stress on the "public safety nets" the Rich Democratic cites have, which creates problem for the excess immigrant from Republican areas. And ultimately the cities citizens.

The best thing that could happen, is if Poor Republican areas, could increase its taxes, to help its citizens instead of waiting for them to move on to Richer Democratic cities. Mental illness, drug addicts, unemployed etc etc etc...

So.. Rich Democratic Cities are subsidizing poor Republican states with money transfers... AND subsidizing poor Republican areas when they "deal" with the excess influx of people from said areas.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies