Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 12:10 PM

29,445 posts, read 14,631,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am talking about it. The cities which you despise are the greatest capitalist success story in history of mankind. No wonder you want to smear them, and exaggerate their problems. Their success makes your blood boil.

US Cities generate 85% of US economic output, and they put the bail-out & subsidy checks on the farmers tables, and all they do is talk smack about place where they don't even live.

New York City alone generates as much as Canada as whole.
Okay, awesome, great , so a city of hundreds of thousands , up to 8 million people has more economic output than a rural town of 1000 people. Gee....do ya think ? Great argument to draw the line in the sand on...know one will challenge you on it. And me despise the city ? No, I could care less. I know I wouldn't want to live in one, although I do like visiting once in a while. I just love the DIA, and catching a show or two at the Opera House or the Fox Theater.

Looking at the news though, all those protesters across the country seem to be pretty angry. Riots and looting in Seattle , Minneapolis and Atlanta don't happen when policies are good, now do they ? Human feces maps don't pop up out of thin air for no reason. Retail theft charges only if the goods exceed $1,000 or the alleged shoplifter has 10 prior felony convictions ( in Chicago), 10 felony convictions...seriously ?
Places like Seattle enables addicts while ignoring public safety, really ? Great policy. Decriminalizing public drug use. Obviously seeing all the unrest in these cities really proves things are rolling along wonderfully !

Old 06-25-2020, 12:11 PM

25,716 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Which "LIB" cities are failures?
To name a few:

Detroit
San Francisco
Seattle
Chicago
Philadelphia
NYC
Baltimore

Old 06-25-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
StillwaterTownie[/b];58471764]Really. Hardly anybody liberal or conservative wants to move to Republican run Tulsa. It's having a COVID-19 spike for now, besides a high crime rate. Even fewer want to move to the decaying small towns.

One positive about the rural south. A lot of people love to cook and serve good food, including the guys, so the food tends to be good, but helps explain why so many people are fat.
Off topic. The topic is DEMOCRAT run cities. If you want to discuss Republican run cities, start your own thread.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Detroit is a "failure" because it was a one industry (CARS) that Corporate America moved Auto jobs overseas.
Corp America was able to move the car jobs elsewhere because Joe Biden, and other Dems, pushed for offshoring America's jobs elsewhere.

Dems also facilitated unions which drove up the cost of labor beyond what themarket could afford, so corporations moved to states that didnt have strong union laws like Alabama, Tennessee, ect..

NAFTA also helpd them move jobs to Mexico. the Dems led the charge to kill Detroit. I know, I lived it.

So, now its your turn to defend Detroit. Why is Detroit a craphole?

Old 06-25-2020, 12:21 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,775 times
Some of the cities that have been noted, in the many, many pages of this thread, experts would not consider "failing."

But be that as it may, please let folk know.......

What is the OP's standard of a "failing city."

If the OP blames one party, what is the OP's party', or the OP's, solution to solving what is considered a "failing city?"

Old 06-25-2020, 12:28 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Mississippi is poor, its poor in the cities its poor in the country and the state is Republican, so where is all this leadership that sets such a shining example? Baah none of you can point to a GOP lead city that doesn't have the same problems and the states that Republicans run are the poster children for tar paper shack country so don't act like one party only have poor residents under their responsibility.
Are you sure all the cities in Mississippi aren't governed by Dems? Think very carefully about that.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
How is Minneapolis a failure?
Terrible police department, high crime (see link, one of the highest crime rates in America), homelessness.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Grossly underfunded Teachers Pension Fund (46%...danger zone)

https://www.minneapolisfed.org/artic...ficit-disorder

Allowing/encouraging Somalians to settle there and elevating the crime rates signficantly.

So, your turn to defend Minneapolis and the Democrats who ran it into the ground....

We are all ears.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2020 at 05:27 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 12:32 PM

29,445 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not one Republican city cited as being a good example.
I guess one has to be more specific. As one poster has said, all the major cities have the majority of economic output. So, if that is what counts , there won't be a GOP led city. Most of the conservative cities are small, so they can't compete economically.

Here is an interesting read on the best "run " cities.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-run-cities/22869/

Old 06-25-2020, 12:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
The progressives always complain that policies are not progressive enough. If you look at some of the cities with homeless problems. Unless you chain those people up in hotels, they do not want to stay indoors even in a mansion. Because they just want to be free to do whatever they want and that's part of a free society. Much of our societal problems stem from having this free society mentality and people who simply makes poor decisions at odds with the rest of law abiding population.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:37 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Why has your president CHOSEN to live in a failed "lib" city his entire life, then? And why hasn't he moved the Trump Organization to a conservative city?

He must be kinda stupid, I guess.
"Your" president? Unless you aren't a US citizen, he is your president, too --- like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies