Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2020, 02:07 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,919,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
even people for masks don't think people should have to wear them outside! in most of the united states you don't have to wear them outside.
It depends. Outside hiking, in the middle of nowhere? Not wearing one is fine. On a city street, passing within a few feet of people every block? Absolutely wear one.

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer48 View Post
Or just take yours off. It's still a free country.
No. I'm not going to.

Others are wearing them for me, I'll wear them for someone else.

Only toads don't see that.

If I were protecting MYSELF with a mask, I truly would consider going without.

But I'm not. I'm protecting other people.

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
It depends. Outside hiking, in the middle of nowhere? Not wearing one is fine. On a city street, passing within a few feet of people every block? Absolutely wear one.
How about no.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:08 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
I just read the UCSF piece. That was not a study. It was just the editorial opinion of one doctor. All she said was that if you had a lower viral load you tended to be less sick. And it was her opinion that masks would reduce the viral load.
And the independent is just quoting that same doctor. I imagine all those others quote that same person.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:08 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times
I noticed it depends on how you look. I NEVER see anyone say anything to guys who are very big in stature and who look like they'll give them the works, if you catch my drift. Any dude 6 feet and up range and pushing seemingly 210lbs and over, I never see getting any remarks for not wearing a mask. One of my co-workers is 6'3, 230lbs and a muscular build, Jamaican dude and has an attitude (if you get on his bad side), construction worker. Never ever has anyone said anything other than being in a business, where even then, they come at him correct. So your looks can play a huge role in anyone saying anything to you.

I definitely never see anyone say anything to rowdy Black people in the urban or suburban areas. I've seen many ghetto black people in the NYC subways maskless and not one person dares say anything to them. And in particular its the White Karens and Kens who don't say a damn thing but they'll give a tongue lashing to 50 year old, balding liberal white counterpart. AKA the easy victims. Take it how you feel with the "raycism" but it is what it is.

I'm not by any means the most threatening looking guy but so far only 2 people have said anything to me and I just kept it moving. One cop tried giving me a summons and I just said "Okay" and that threat turned into a warning, whatever. And actually, on a hike one of the rangers was trying to tell me to wear a mask where I replied "I'm outside" and kept on trekking.

Honestly, getting all emotional and getting bent out of shape is a waste of time. Just keep it moving unless they start harassing you and/or it becomes physical. Otherwise, you're giving them way too much power and too much attention that they don't deserve. You have no idea how much more it bothers someone when you show them how insignificant their attention and energy is.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:13 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
This is why idiots shouldn't talk about science. He asked for studies, you produced a paper calling for a test.

The opening sentence:

Quote:
If this hypothesis is borne out,
And concludes:

Quote:
To test our hypothesis that population-wide masking is one of those strategies, we need further studies comparing the rate of asymptomatic infection in areas with and areas without universal masking. To test the variolation hypothesis, we will need more studies comparing the strength and durability of SARS-CoV-2–specific T-cell immunity between people with asymptomatic infection and those with symptomatic infection, as well as a demonstration of the natural slowing of SARS-CoV-2 spread in areas with a high proportion of asymptomatic infections.
You just googled crap, and snapped it up without reading and/or understanding.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:13 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
This thread is for people to get creative on what to say if you are walking outside and you don't have a mask on..

I am getting close to getting arrested because I live in Massachusetts with strict mask laws. I flipped out on a Chinese lady asking me why are you here when I was walking on a bike path. i screamed in her face and said things I can not repeat on this forum.

so I will start with creative responses to say if someone calls you out for not wearing a mask.

I have used the "I am deaf can you please take off your mask so I can read your lips"

I have said "the voices in my head don't want me to put a mask on.. then I say did you ever have sex with jesus christ?"

you could say "what mask what are you talking about?"

I am sure some of you can come up with good stuff to say to respond to the mask nazi's with.

I am getting to the point I want to say I have a health problem and actually go through the trouble of sueing this person.

I want to scare anyone that calls me out for not wearing a mask.

I believe they did study in psychology that if you shame someone that parts of the brain trigger that feels like actual trauma. the last thing you want to do is shame someone for not wearing a mask . Just like never give in to road rage because what might seem harmless can turn ugly real fast if they have a weapon.

some have said I have to leave Massachusetts or I will get arrested for doing something I will regret. it really feels like east Germany here. IT builds up if you are continuously getting shamed for not wearing a mask.
A number of years ago I was in London just after traveling in Italy. Some woman came up to me begging for money.
I said, "No parlo inglese." She just went "huh?" and walked off.

You might scare them by saying (English phonetics) "Ya knee goveryou pa-angliski." They are probably afraid of Russians hiding on every corner.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:15 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I gotta agree with this. It's even worse when I have to wear my reading glasses and they fog up.

But, I'm a good little citizen and wear my mask dutifully (mostly in stores and other enclosed public areas). Luckily, I don't have to wear one when I'm at my desk at work and I don't wear one if I'm in a wide open outdoor area where social distancing is easy enough.
They're a pain with glasses and they do start to smell nasty after a while.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:15 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Am I the only one who thinks masks are cool?

Some of the designs are great.

I got a Jack Skellington one to wear for October.

I'd never go nazi on anyone for not wearing one.,.but I for one don't mind wearing it.
Such a good little subject you are.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
What are you talking about? I'm talking about laughing at someone who is insane enough to give a death stare for being told to wear a mask. Snowflakes who throw a fit over being asked to wear a mask are very entertaining.
For one, someone has to have their panties in a wad, to even think they are going to tell someone else what to do. Then flip 180 and start laughing, when their bluff is called.... Split personalities are that of lunatics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies