Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 11:43 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Because HCQ has been around for decades big pharma can't get rich off it. It would be their nightmare if HCQ were the go-to drug to treat a pandemic, which is why the campaign to tras HCQ has been going on for months. Well, that and because Trump said he was hoping the drug would save lives.
Hogwash. The people that are "Big Pharma" get sick, too. Everybody wants better ways to treat COVID-19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 12:16 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
How many of those countries had comorbidity rates at the same level as the US does?
OMG, a live flip-flopping Red Herring.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
NO ONE (at least, it should be no one, at this point) is saying that HCQ is not a useful drug in many cases, or that it doesn't have a long track record of being helpful (IN OTHER CASES) or that by and large it is MOSTLY safe (but not always). I hope we can all agree on those things.
A useful drug in many cases...none of which are covid-19

Quote:
But COVID already leaves 99.9% of folks alive. It simply doesn't kill very many. So - of that population that die - it's going to be difficult to demonstrate that HCQ has a significant beneficial effect against the backdrop of the rare - but not zero - fatal or harmful side effects of the drug. It's that simple.
REALLY? 99.9% huh? Meanwhile in reality its higher then that. And additionally many folks are left with long term issues from surviving it.

Quote:
YES - it may help SOME people. NO ONE should be denying that. BUT - does it "help" enough - people who would otherwise have NOT RECOVERED - while not giving its known side-effects to a number of other folks who otherwise would have been fine? That is a teeny - tiny - number, and it's not easy to tease out. I don't know it. You don't know it.
Actually LOTS of people are denying it, along with almost every single developed country in the world. Yeah it got hyped up-Trump really is grasping at straws for miracles. This isnt it.

Quote:
Whoever said most of the 67 reports were supportive didn't read them. Many of the reports marked "supportive" are simply "not dismissive." That's not helpful.
Its the gateway pundit. What did you expect? Quality work? Thats not their thing.

Quote:
There is certainly enough circumstantial/anecdotal evidence that HQL may be effective that it warrants further testing.
Its been tested. A LOT. Theres a reason folks arent using it.

Quote:
Agree. That is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT from suggesting we treat people with it as a matter of policy.
Yeah I dont agree. We've wasted enough time on this nonsense.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:56 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Both HCQ and azithromycin can cause a potentially lethal arrhythmia, so it is not as safe as you think.

How many of those studies are prospective randomized trials? The format of the list makes it hard to know.
would you care to point to studies that say that?

Because HQC had very few side effects until COVID19 came along. 65 year history, thousands of studies, very well understood medication used by hundreds of millions of people with latterly more than a billion doses given.

It was NEVER considered "dangerous". In large swaths of the world it is Over The Counter.

Doctors have patients on this drug as a maintenance medication who have taken it for years with no side effects. NOW all the sudden. poof! it kills people. That is a freaking lie. If that were the case, it would not be one of the most prevalent drug on the planet. period.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
would you care to point to studies that say that?

Because HQC had very few side effects until COVID19 came along. 65 year history, thousands of studies, very well understood medication used by hundreds of millions of people with latterly more than a billion doses given.

It was NEVER considered "dangerous". In large swaths of the world it is Over The Counter.

Doctors have patients on this drug as a maintenance medication who have taken it for years with no side effects. NOW all the sudden. poof! it kills people. That is a freaking lie. If that were the case, it would not be one of the most prevalent drug on the planet. period.

Danger is a relative thing. I went through Chemotherapy. Sometimes the Chemotherapy kills folks. Occasionally via a massive reaction when first given. Sometimes through side effects. It literally comes in a bio hazard bag with folks wearing protective gear. It had to be pumped into my hear since trying to do it through my veins would cause them to possibly collapse. Thats a dangerous drug. Worth taking because what its treating is worse.

So HCQ DOES have side effects. Some of them are lethal. But on average the benefit you get from it for one of the things its known to treat far outweighs those.

But if it does nothing to help? And thats what most of the data shows. Then yeah, encouraging people to take it is like lining them up on 5th avenue and shooting them in the head. Because people will die that would not have for no benefit other then your political ambitions.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:52 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Danger is a relative thing. I went through Chemotherapy. Sometimes the Chemotherapy kills folks. Occasionally via a massive reaction when first given. Sometimes through side effects. It literally comes in a bio hazard bag with folks wearing protective gear. It had to be pumped into my hear since trying to do it through my veins would cause them to possibly collapse. Thats a dangerous drug. Worth taking because what its treating is worse.

So HCQ DOES have side effects. Some of them are lethal. But on average the benefit you get from it for one of the things its known to treat far outweighs those.

But if it does nothing to help? And thats what most of the data shows. Then yeah, encouraging people to take it is like lining them up on 5th avenue and shooting them in the head. Because people will die that would not have for no benefit other then your political ambitions.
comparing HCQ to Chemo is like comparing a BB gun to a nuclear weapon. These are not similar things.

HCQ is a known quantity that has been used for 65 years. the book on HCQ was written decades ago and the side effects are minimal....or at least were until about March of 2020. in fact in much of the world it is OTC.

THIS is the thing and i don't understand your lack of curiosity. How does a drug with minimal side effects for 65 years all the sudden become this super dangerous drug that the folks on MSNB say is "killing people"?

Doctors who use this medication as a maintenance drug for their patients are bewildered. I listened to a doctor who has 3000 patients on HCQ that have been taking the drug for more than a decade say he has no clue where the notion that HCQ was a dangerous drug. period.

it either is, or it isn't. 65 years of daily reality of a medication that is one of the MOST PERSCRIBED DRUGS IN THE WORLD does not change its nature over night.

PS never in history has a drug that is FDA approved been taken out of medical professionals hands as an off label drug, until HCQ 3 months ago.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:19 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,269 times
If I do get COVID19, I will be asking for HCQ and taking Zinc with it. I have had HCQ before and tolerated it well. I am allergic to azithromycin, so I'll be skipping that one.

HCQ is an ionophore. It allows zinc into the cell to interrupt the ribosome from producing the virus RNA. If given within a few days of symptoms, HCQ can be effective in stopping the progression of the virus.

As stated before, a lot of these studies center on HCQ alone. Once hospitalized, you are already too far along in disease progression for HCQ to be effective. There was one study done in the UK that bordered on torture. The patients were already near death and they dosed the patients with massive doses of HCQ. I hope that those patients were comatose when they dosed them. Otherwise, it was cruel what they did to them.

I wish Trump would have never spoken about HCQ because now we have politically motivated individuals trying to reduce the availability of treatments that have been known as safe for longer than I have been alive. Imagine if this was penicillin that we were talking about. Think of all the people who would suffer because penicillin was suddenly villainized because Trump said something about it.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:55 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
OMG, a live flip-flopping Red Herring.
How is discussing comorbidities in a thread specifically about mortality rate a red herring, exactly? You think comorbidities like heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure have no impact on COVID mortality?

Old 08-10-2020, 07:59 AM

1,781 posts, read 956,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
If I do get COVID19, I will be asking for HCQ and taking Zinc with it. I have had HCQ before and tolerated it well. I am allergic to azithromycin, so I'll be skipping that one.

HCQ is an ionophore. It allows zinc into the cell to interrupt the ribosome from producing the virus RNA. If given within a few days of symptoms, HCQ can be effective in stopping the progression of the virus.

As stated before, a lot of these studies center on HCQ alone. Once hospitalized, you are already too far along in disease progression for HCQ to be effective. There was one study done in the UK that bordered on torture. The patients were already near death and they dosed the patients with massive doses of HCQ. I hope that those patients were comatose when they dosed them. Otherwise, it was cruel what they did to them.

I wish Trump would have never spoken about HCQ because now we have politically motivated individuals trying to reduce the availability of treatments that have been known as safe for longer than I have been alive. Imagine if this was penicillin that we were talking about. Think of all the people who would suffer because penicillin was suddenly villainized because Trump said something about it.
I agree with all of this. Well said!

Old 08-10-2020, 10:20 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
REALLY? 99.9% huh? Meanwhile in reality its higher then that...

Oh, maybe it's 99.8 or 99.7...so,yep, maybe higher - but pretty much, it's very low. No one anywhere thinks it's as high as 1%, so, we're already past "99% survive."

Yeah I dont agree. We've wasted enough time on this nonsense.

I'm not following. I can't tell if you're for it or against it...but I think...you're against it...I'm not sure why you're bashing my post, I agree with you. Unless you're for it.

I support whoever wants to study it, go study it in your free time, but so far, no studies have been able to make the case that it helps more than it doesn't. Fine line. Not just that it helps. But that it helps more than it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies