Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 08:42 AM

376 posts, read 103,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Here's the thing; Trump's proposal--for the moment, that is --is to eliminate the tax for those making $100K or lower. But the ceiling is $134,000 or thereabout. Above that nobody pays a cent toward SS/M. So how many people make between $100K and $134,000? Not enough to fund SS/M that's for sure. But remove the ceiling or at least raise it substantially maybe to $500K and put it on a sliding scale and we would have enough money to fund SS/M for the next 100 years. But that's too commonsense an approach so naturally it won't go anywhere.

The Federal government has a quarter quadrillion dollars in assets. They could pay off the debt tomorrow if they wanted but for various reasons it wouldn't be a sound move. Just know that when push comes to shove the Fed has a way to bail everyone out, which is why the nation will likely never declare bankruptcy.
I have no problem completely eliminating the ceiling. Until then, just debt it like we debt everything now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 08:46 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Unfortunately unforeseen circumstances or illness can happen to anyone at any time no matter how prepared they are.
I'm totally fine with a social safety net for people with infirmities, whether born with or acquired (to some extent). I'm also all for families and community charities helping- I'd rather have my church run a food pantry than the government.

The purpose of government is to govern- not to provide anyone's essential needs.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:48 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
People who say the American public can easily provide for their own retirement are laughable. Try that with the average hourly worker or middle class family person.

Republican's "every man for himself"philosophy (by hook or by crook as Trump has done for himself) will only intensify a super rich vs serf/peon class structure.

Here is what is actually happening. Let's hope he has committed political suicide for sure this time.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/opini...ala/index.html
I stopped reading when the author said "two beloved programs." People have measly social security because they were forced to pay into it. That people would not choose to put THAT SAME AMOUNT into something which would earn them more $ is their CHOICE. Choice is good or so I've heard ad nauseam.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:53 AM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Trump can’t do that. It’s going to get tossed out in court immediately. Congress controls taxation and appropriations. No employer is going to stop deducting payroll taxes from their employees because they know that it’s going to get tossed out in court. Same for the $400 unemployment kicker where the states are required to pay 25%. This is political grandstanding instead of actually leading.

Trump actually thinks he controls these things. If he didnt have a WH full of yes men he hired on. They would advise him on these things.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:12 AM

376 posts, read 103,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
At the end of his term, look for Pardon me, pardon me, pardon me, pardon me!
Every POTUS pardons criminals at the end of their time in office. I will assume Trump will do the same, just as Obama, Bush and Clinton all did. Nothing I can do about that.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
If you haven't heard it already, Trump just signed an executive order to suspend the payroll tax.

THIS FUNDS YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE.

Trump said the employer portion of the payroll tax would be deferred from Aug. 1 through the end of the year, though the move would not directly aid unemployed workers, who do not pay the tax when they are jobless, and faces bipartisan opposition on Capitol Hill.

“If I win, I may extend and terminate,†Trump said, repeating a longtime goal but remaining silent on how he’d fund the Medicare and Social Security benefits that the 7% tax on employee income covers. Employers also pay 7.65% of their payrolls into the funds.

If you value your life and wellbeing- dump him in NOV.!!
I fail to see the problem. You can voluntarily pay for it.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:22 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You can voluntarily pay for it.
Trump would rather the program be protected as is.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Trump would rather the program be protected as is.
You can still voluntarily pay more taxes than required.

How much would you like to pay?

Old 08-10-2020, 09:37 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,216,976 times
Trump is not attacking SS or Medicare. He has done more for working Americans than most. Where do people think money comes from anyway? Might want to look in the mirror at who pays for all of the promises made by either party.

Dems want to raise taxes - Trump wants to keep them down. Dems want to support rioters and lawbreakers - Trump wants to enforce the laws on the books. Dem led states and cities are in dire straights because of political malfeasance - Trump wants them to reap what they sewed. Tough love and common sense vs. the parent that gives you everything you want - which is why most woke people can't deal with the reality.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Term limits and balanced budgets are our only hope.
I'd be ok with term limits on Senators if we repealed the direct election provisions of the 17th Amendment.

I'm not ok with term limits on the house.

I used to be for term limits, and there are very valid arguments for them. Then I was presented with an argument against them that gave me a fresh perspective.

Our elected representatives are precisely that - the people that We the People have chosen to represent us in government.

If I think that Louie Gohmert has been doing a good job for TX-1, and I want him to be able to continue representing me, why should he be excluded from that opportunity simply because he's done it before? That's not hurting Gohmert; that's hurting me, the person who believes he's the best choice to represent me in government.

Term limits disenfranchise the voters, not the politicians. Corruption is a big problem, but we're going to have to tackle it in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies