Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 07:05 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

Says the man who gave us John McCain and his running mate, I can see Alaska from here.

Consider the source commenting on intellect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 07:08 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Pence need to take some classes with Trump on how to deflect and not answer questions. Most politicians know this, but Trump has taken it to a new level. Pence might be forced to actually debate Harris on policy. That should be good times. I'd love to see a moderator ask "Was there any decision made by Mr. Trump that you did not wholeheartedly agree with?"
Trump's not good at it. He just lies or repeats things or insults. Very much like a 15 yr old boy. "Puppet? I'm no puppet. I'm no puppet. You're the puppet." (Maybe he should've followed that up with, "And your mama wears army boots! Take that!)

Old 08-12-2020, 07:22 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway111 View Post
I'm a liberal, and I don't think it's a good idea to suggest that Harris will wipe the floor with Pence. She's a good debater, but Pence should not be underestimated. He's certainly far more articulate than Trump is. Setting the bar too high for Harris is dangerous if Pence performs well.
In the end, it doesn't really matter. She and Pence are VP candidates. Trump & Biden are the Presidential candidates.

Either one of the VP candidates slam dunking a debate is meaningless. It's the Presidential candidates that matter.

Does anyone remember VP debates of past years, except for a few famous soundbites? Anyone remember the Dan Quayle-Leonard Bentsen debate where Bentsen utters the famous words, "Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." Bentsen wiped the floor, as they say, with Quayle. But the Presidential candidate on the Dem side was Mike Dukakis, who lost to George H W Bush.

A VP can add to the image of the Pres candidate or fill a weak spot (like Dick Cheney did for GWB), and could possibly do harm, whether generally or at a debate. But in the end, the race is about the Presidential candidates.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
I'm a liberal, and I don't think it's a good idea to suggest that Harris will wipe the floor with Pence. She's a good debater, but Pence should not be underestimated. He's certainly far more articulate than Trump is. Setting the bar too high for Harris is dangerous if Pence performs well.
The bar is so low for Trump and Pence that if all Pence did was drool and make an occasional moaning noise, some media- and his supporters- would declare him the winner. This goes double if all Trump did was fart and reassure us of his penis size again.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Anti-Trump Republican Mike Murphy nailed it in a podcast yesterday. The thing that Kamala has to work on in a debate with Pence is her tone. She can’t go over the top and then let Pence come across as an “aw shucks” good guy. She has to be whip smart, which she is, without being condescending.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:42 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
I don’t get this narrative your trying to push.

Her eloquence and articulation didn’t get her any traction in the primaries.
FWIW- she didn't actually make it to the primaries. I find it odd everyone declares her the greatest ever when she polled and managed funds so poorly she pulled the plug before Iowa. That doesn't mean she won't function perfectly well as VP- and she probably is the exact attack dog Biden would need. But in comparison to Warren or Klobuchar, they were able to move the ball further downfield.

I think the main difference between her and Pence is not eloquence it is that she can be forceful and stand her ground. Pence's original purpose was to play 'run tell that' for the Christian Right who did not initially have a natural connection to Trump. He does not attack particularly well or manage/debate policy.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:48 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Les all get real: a VP debate is not going to swing any voters one way or the other. Maybe I should say, very few voters.
I agree with you on this. In 1988 Lloyd Bentsen had the famous zinger on Dan Quayle ("Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine...you're no Jack Kennedy") but it did little to affect the election.

And frankly, VP picks overall don't have much of an effect on the election, it doesn't outweigh the overall fundamentals.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:20 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Harris is a good debater? I seem to remember a Democrat debate where Harris suffered a severe beat down at the hands of one Tulsi Gabbard. If it was a boxing match the referees would have intervened to stop the carnage.
Lets see..A dope smoking hypocritical liar who got her progressive azz handed to her by Tulsi...versus a dignified embodiment of American values..yeah..a real barn burner (snicker)

Old 08-12-2020, 09:23 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...lectually.html

Former Republican strategist Steve Schmidt on Democratic Vice Presidential pick Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA): "I think Mike Pence is going to have a very, very difficult time in the vice presidential debate. Frankly, intellectually, from an eloquence and articulation perspective, they’re not in the same league with each other."
That was the first thing I thought of when someone mentioned them debating yesterday.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:23 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The bar is so low for Trump and Pence that if all Pence did was drool and make an occasional moaning noise, some media- and his supporters- would declare him the winner. This goes double if all Trump did was fart and reassure us of his penis size again.
Pedo Joe has already filled that slot..C'MON MAN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies