Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 06:15 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...lectually.html

Former Republican strategist Steve Schmidt on Democratic Vice Presidential pick Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA): "I think Mike Pence is going to have a very, very difficult time in the vice presidential debate. Frankly, intellectually, from an eloquence and articulation perspective, they’re not in the same league with each other."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 06:24 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Pence need to take some classes with Trump on how to deflect and not answer questions. Most politicians know this, but Trump has taken it to a new level. Pence might be forced to actually debate Harris on policy. That should be good times. I'd love to see a moderator ask "Was there any decision made by Mr. Trump that you did not wholeheartedly agree with?"

Old 08-12-2020, 06:27 AM

2,005 posts, read 762,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...lectually.html

Former Republican strategist Steve Schmidt on Democratic Vice Presidential pick Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA): "I think Mike Pence is going to have a very, very difficult time in the vice presidential debate. Frankly, intellectually, from an eloquence and articulation perspective, they’re not in the same league with each other."
I don’t get this narrative your trying to push.

Her eloquence and articulation didn’t get her any traction in the primaries.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:32 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
I don’t get this narrative your trying to push.

Her eloquence and articulation didn’t get her any traction in the primaries.
Exactly. It's not only HOW you say something, it's WHAT you're saying. Most of her statements and positions are indefensible.

Most voters aren't political junkies. They like simple, clean, easily understood statements not double talk, spin and obfuscation which is the lawyer's stock in trade.

I think Vice President Pence will do fine. He just needs to amp up the presentation as he's a little stiff and understated.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:40 AM

271 posts, read 294,788 times
I'm a liberal, and I don't think it's a good idea to suggest that Harris will wipe the floor with Pence. She's a good debater, but Pence should not be underestimated. He's certainly far more articulate than Trump is. Setting the bar too high for Harris is dangerous if Pence performs well.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Les all get real: a VP debate is not going to swing any voters one way or the other. Maybe I should say, very few voters.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Les all get real: a VP debate is not going to swing any voters one way or the other. Maybe I should say, very few voters.
Given the ages of both of the presidential candidates, I think that the VP debate will be closely watched.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:58 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Trump was the oldest to take office. And if he wins reelection, he'd be the oldest to serve in that capacity if he goes a full second term. Biden falls into that same point, but he is even older than Trump.

The VPs matter. Now, will they swing the vote 10 points? Doubtful. If Americans truly believe that Trump or Biden can't serve until 2024, they'll lose votes. No one is going to the ballot box in November with the intention of voting for Pence or Harris thinking they will assume office on January 20th, 2021. However, I think it matters a bit more than other years. The last time the VP on the ticket mattered was 1960. Presidents aren't dropping dead like they used to.

I purposefully left out 1972. Ford wasn't on the ticket.

I see the VP more as someone that works with the President and offers (hopefully) sound advice. Their constitutional duties are limited to serving as a tie-breaking vote in the Senate.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:02 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Harris is a good debater? I seem to remember a Democrat debate where Harris suffered a severe beat down at the hands of one Tulsi Gabbard. If it was a boxing match the referees would have intervened to stop the carnage.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:02 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
So what? She can be very eloquent in explaining how she is for decriminalizing illegal immigration, Supporting sanctuary cities, giving them health insurance, forgiving student loans, considering reparations, giving blacks $25k for downpayments, making college debt-free, etc., etc.

Am I going to think, “wow....look at how beautifully she explained all that?” Or am I going to think “what a way to destroy America”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies