Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 10:51 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've talked about it repeatedly. I even suggested that mental health be part of any reparations package if one ever goes through - and black posters here were saying that was b.s.

The psyche of people who live in war zones is not normal and then it becomes generational because it's learned.

And thug culture just contributes to the whole mess by featuring it in videos. Six year old girls twerking and five year olds flashing gang signs or holding guns is sick stuff.
You have, and I will give you credit for that. You're one of the few here that will. Unfortunately, most people who start threads about shootings and violence in the cities, they won't discuss it. They'll discuss political parties ad nauseam. The culture is discuss somewhat, but there is more than meets the eye. (And as a side note, I'm rather shocked at the idea of a 6 year old girl dancing in an explicitly sexual manner. The sexually explicit dance I've seen out of a child growing up was the macarena. And that was mild compared to twerking. This is stuff I remember as a kid living in the 1990s. I never saw kids act so sexual in my time (I'm 34 years old). To hear about it now, it's a shock. When I was 6 years old, cartoons, Sesame Street, and Pinocchio were on my mind).

Thug culture has been around for ages. Rap music has merely popularized it. Every notice that many kids can name a bunch of rappers (even middle class kids who aren't violent, who have nothing to do with thug culture), but far fewer kids know who Neil Degrasse Tyson is.

Living in a violent environment shapes the mind like nothing else. One learns how to survive in a violent environment through violence. One's mental health is impacted in many ways. And it isn't just in the streets. Many kids grow up in violent homes. This whole "those kids need a beating", well, I have this to say. In the Black American population, there is a higher rather of corporal punishment than any other group. Currently, Black men are the nation's #1 murder perpetrators AND the nation's #1 murder victims.

I've always said that there is likely more mental health issues among the Black American population per capita than being reported, particularly in the poorest part of the Black population. Alot of the trauma manifested itself differently. While having a violent mentality is certainly a trait I'd want to steer clear from, it is also a sign of some severe mental health issues. Issues that have were never dealt with because no one noticed, no one cared, and in many case, there are no resources available. And then there is a mentality of "You have to be tough. Only weak people see the psychologist". This means some people never get the help they need.

Currently, the suicide rate among teenage Black males is rising very fast, and it's not being noticed much. Black children under 13 are more likely to commit suicide than White children of the same age range.

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthie...-floyd-killing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 04:51 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And this is why I brought it up. No one talks about the kind of anger and hatred some people in those environments have. Plenty of people making this about politics. Not one person has talked about mental health. And indeed, the culture in the ghetto is that: If you're weak, you get killed. Living and dying through violence is the norm in the ghetto.

In fact, I watched Dangerous Minds a few times. One of the quotes from the movie was this: "In my neighborhood, if you don't stand up you can't walk down the street, because everyone will attack you".

That is basically the ghetto right there. You survive through violence. It's constant war. And then there are those who don't care if they live or die, so they don't mind killing other people. And this is something neither D or R can fix. Prison doesn't even seem to fix it. Prison itself is a violent place. Threat of the death barely scares some people. And I notice it's specifically a problem in major cities and some of the smaller industrial cities. Rural areas, not nearly as much.
Early 90s is when it started showing up in the music with NWA.

You follow the lyrics of rap music through the decades, it took an angrier turn around that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies