Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 12:29 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
With no guns there should be zero deaths , right ? Seems like there is quite the rise in violence over there...what is going on ? 222,000 violent assaults last year ...one would think with that strict gun control there would be nothing.

"There were over 222 thousand violent crime offences recorded by the Metropolitan Police in London in 2019/20 an increase of approximately six thousand compared with the previous year. "

Seems to me , the culprit is bad people. Not the instruments they use. People willing to hurt/kill others and break laws.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...revious%20year.
I wouldn't be daft enough to compare murder rates between UK and US cities if I were you!!! Perhaps if UK cities ever come any where close to cities in the US you can adress this without looking stupid but until London gets 60+ people shot in ONE WEEKEND instead of over a year I wouldn't say anything! And the only way that will ever happen would be if the UK was stupid enough to relax its gun laws (and the UK isn't that stupid).

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/18/w...2C000%20people.

Its not like its even close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 12:33 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I almost feel sorry for Trump supporters. They got their guy in charge, and everything is nosediving, so they scream "this is what happens when you put Dems in change. We need 4 more years of Trump". They have no idea how absurd that sounds.
Nose diving ? That is laughable. Even with Covid, this has been one of the best years for my wife and I since we've been married. I can say everyone in our circle of friends and our family are doing well. So what if the person we want re-elected loses, we will make the best of it and life will go on.

Unlike many on the left did not do...
https://youtu.be/wDYNVH0U3cs

Old 08-18-2020, 12:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'd say we need fewer repeat offenders.

How do you go about disarming criminals in the first place.
How does a Violent convicted felon just released on parole Acquire a gun within hours of being released?

It is reasonable to assume nearly everyone is armed, legal and otherwise, is the most dangerous areas of the city. One’s firearm is a useless defense in a drive by shooting.

When you are driving with your kid in the back seat, your gun is useless when people are shooting from a car behind you or parallel in an adjoining lane.

Your firearm is useless when your kiddo is playing on the front steps and you are inside.

Your firearm is useless when you are making din- din in the kitchen and bullets come through your front room where the kids are watching TV.

Your firearm is useless when your back is turned upon entering or exiting your car.

Your firearm is useless when it’s 3:00 AM and you are enjoying an evening in a local park with 50 friends and family and a car sprays the crowd with bullets.

Chicago PD took 10,000 firearms off the streets in 2019.

It recovered more than 8000 firearms by mid year, this year.

Obviously the supply is constantly replenished.

FBI has been working with CPD for years tracing guns.

This year hundreds of federal agents and CPD are focused on gun trafficking.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I wouldn't be daft enough to compare murder rates between UK and US cities if I were you!!! Perhaps if UK cities ever come any where close to cities in the US you can adress this without looking stupid but until London gets 60+ people shot in ONE WEEKEND instead of over a year I wouldn't say anything! And the only way that will ever happen would be if the UK was stupid enough to relax its gun laws (and the UK isn't that stupid).

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/18/w...2C000%20people.

Its not like its even close!
Shouldn't be any incidents , there are no guns, right ? I could care less what goes on over their, your government doesn't even trust you subjects with sharp pointy things.

My reply is to the dolts here, that think if we made guns illegal we would have no violence. The only reason I brought up your country is to show that violence exists everywhere. And the reality is ,if we could control just a few of our Democratically lead cities, our violence statistics would be on par with yours even with 300 million firearms in circulation. It is a violent criminal issue.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How does a Violent convicted felon just released on parole Acquire a gun within hours of being released?

It is reasonable to assume nearly everyone is armed, legal and otherwise, is the most dangerous areas of the city. One’s firearm is a useless defense in a drive by shooting.

When you are driving with your kid in the back seat, your gun is useless when people are shooting from a car behind you or parallel in an adjoining lane.

Your firearm is useless when your kiddo is playing on the front steps and you are inside.

Your firearm is useless when you are making din- din in the kitchen and bullets come through your front room where the kids are watching TV.

Your firearm is useless when your back is turned upon entering or exiting your car.

Your firearm is useless when it’s 3:00 AM and you are enjoying an evening in a local park with 50 friends and family and a car sprays the crowd with bullets.

Want your answer. Google how many smash and grab break in's occur of Firearms shops. Michigan alone has many. Add all those firearms that end up on the streets with people that are willing to break firearms laws by doing straw purchases. Theft out of vehicles, which should not be ignored is but a very small percentage.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:45 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Shouldn't be any incidents , there are no guns, right ? I could care less what goes on over their, your government doesn't even trust you subjects with sharp pointy things.

My reply is to the dolts here, that think if we made guns illegal we would have no violence. The only reason I brought up your country is to show that violence exists everywhere. And the reality is ,if we could control just a few of our Democratically lead cities, our violence statistics would be on par with yours even with 300 million firearms in circulation. It is a violent criminal issue.
There will always be 'incidents' perhaps, unless being 'human' changes, in the UK there are ghetto's, there is crime, there are gangs, there are 'drug wars', there are 'disputes' and drunken arguments but the fact is the amount of people being murdered in UK cities year on year is an awful lot less, I am yet to hear a viable argument as to why - apart from the (pretty obvious) 'gun' thing.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:04 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's why we need gun control.

Thanks for stressing that point for us.
Look at Countries, States, and Cities that have the strictest gun controls, and look at their gun-related crime rates. The bad guys still get their hands on guns, and shoot people.

they also use knives, motor vehicles, acid, razor blades, bats, tire irons, hammers, ect..

Objects don't kill people, people kill people.

Look at the crime rates in Switzerland, and Kennesaw Georgia where gun ownership is required, and compare it to surrounding countries, cities, counties. Require gun ownership areas have LOWER gun crime rates.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There will always be 'incidents' perhaps, unless being 'human' changes, in the UK there are ghetto's, there is crime, there are gangs, there are 'drug wars', there are 'disputes' and drunken arguments but the fact is the amount of people being murdered in UK cities year on year is an awful lot less, I am yet to hear a viable argument as to why - apart from the (pretty obvious) 'gun' thing.
This in a nutshell.
As far as a viable argument, I won't even bother, you aren't from here, you don't know the idiosyncrasies of our population. The reasons why we can have one city or state with virtually no firearms restrictions and plenty of legal firearms owners with extremely low violent crime and another city or state with gun control measures and high amounts of violent crime. And I don't expect you to, yet we have dolts that live here that don't get it.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:23 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Nose diving ? That is laughable.
Feel free to laugh if you think its funny.

Economic Scorecard

Over the weekend... 4 cities... 172 shot...  29 killed-trumps-numbers-july-2020.png

Old 08-18-2020, 01:25 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

You see, that is the problem. They are focusing on getting guns off the streets, because it sounds politically correct. What they NEED to do to make a difference is get the criminals off the streets. But every time they try, the community riots over the very same criminals that prey on them every single day. We have a pathetic, soft-on-crime "justice" system and gutless judges who turn the animals back out on the streets. And worse, we have released thousands of violent savages from prison lately because they might catch a cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies