Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 08:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In the last six months we have had our local police post social media 'reminders' not to leave guns in unlocked cars.

Our neighboring city police department did the same thing.

I didn't think it was a thing either -- but clearly it is enough for our police forces to be issuing regular reminders.

It makes me so angry.

The only gun control I want is to slow criminals from getting them.

I've come a long way. I grew up in Canada where we see USA gun ownership as some kind of 'viral' issue.

Lots of discussions 20 years ago and I understand the concerns with suggested gun controls, etc......

I know nothing about the mechanics so I will not advocate for any one kind to be banned or for some technical adjustment. That would be crazy for me to speak to something like that.

BUT when I keep getting reminders from our local PD to not leave guns in unlocked cars....it makes me freak'n crazy.

Gun violence is a problem in the USA -- now and always. We can pretend it is a new problem but that's just being silly.

I don't know what the answer is -- but I would start with making it harder for criminals to get guns.
Oh, here I thought you were saying that this is a widespread nationwide problem. So it's an issue in your specific community. So just because you're getting reminders from your local pd not to leave guns in the car, you assume that this is a huge issue?

I agree, I want to slow criminals from getting them. I don't know many people who would leave a gun in their car thereby risking it getting stolen. Guns aren't cheap. You said you live in an upper middle class neighborhood, so maybe they aren't too concerned with the cost of replacing their gun. It is definitely very irresponsible to do that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 08:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Democrat mantra... Country Over Party

Cities they control where they want to remove the police - over the weekend

76 shot, 14 dead in NYC

46 shot, 4 killed in Chicago

32 shot, 7 killed in Philadelphia

18 shot, 4 killed in Cincinnati

Democrats say defund the police. Marxist Black Lives Matter Inc says defund the police.

People on the ground of all races say they want the police.

Country over party? Not so much...
The US has a gun problem. I saw that coming especially under trump.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:07 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That or we have a problem with a racist BLM org.

BLM started under Obama, did you also blame Obama? NO

Old 08-17-2020, 08:07 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Over the weekend... 4 cities... 172 shot... 29 killed

Business as usual for the far-left extremists and the armies they are training to attack normal people.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:22 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's why we need gun control.

Thanks for stressing that point for us.
All this virus and these protests have done is add hundreds of thousands of new guns in the hands of citizens. Who would agree to giving up their guns with roving bands of “peaceful protesters” pulling people out of cars and beating them?

Old 08-17-2020, 08:27 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So - the Democrat solution is no guns and no police? How do you suggest people get protection from criminals?

Zimbabwe sounds pretty good about now...

Old 08-17-2020, 08:30 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So - the Democrat solution is no guns and no police? How do you suggest people get protection from criminals?

Zimbabwe sounds pretty good about now...
I can’t take any of them seriously anymore. Clueless.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:35 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,528 times
Quote:

You can't call for the defunding of police while simultaneously calling for increased gun control. This isn't even a politically viable or popular position right now. We have seen spikes in crime across many areas of the country lately, calling for increased gun control on top of calls for defunding the police (not to mention decreased morale among police) isn't going to go anywhere at this point.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:48 PM

1,927 posts, read 558,633 times
Quote:

Gun control would be about as effective as controlling drugs. You can have all the laws in the land, won't stop people from doing what they want, especially when its encouraged. ie: drugs being legalized, crimes not being prosecuted. What could possible go wrong.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:16 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
It's hilariously that you mention Mexico without doing one second of research on where Mexico get their guns....

let me give you a hint:

Mexico get their guns from us.

Yes, Mexico bring us drugs in exchange for guns and money.

Which essentially highlights one important point - it doesn't matter how strict your gun law is if you neighbor is a reckless arms dealer.

You didn't even answer the question because you can't. If guns were banned in the USA, criminals will continue buying them. They will be smuggled in just like all the drugs that are regularly smuggled into this country. Criminals will have all the guns and ordinary law abiding citizens will be designated prey. That's a recipe for disaster, but that's what dims are best at cooking up. Just look at NYC, Portland, Seattle, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies