Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 06:48 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Murder Rate by State 2020

Looking at your claim...

Louisiana... it averages 14 murders per 100,000. New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Monroe... Who runs those cities?

Alabama... 12.9 murders per 100,000. Most populous city is Birmingham - see in list below. Who runs Birmingham?

Missouri... 11.3 murders per 100,000. 90% of the murders were in St. Louis and Kansas City. Who runs those cities? KC had 150 murders in all of 2017. NYC made half of that over the weekend. See those cities below.

I know you wanted to flip the narrative to the states... but I'm talking cities. You asked about what they have in common?

With regards to cities - all Democrat leadership.

Here's your top twenty.

1. Detroit
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 20.0
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 50
Mayor: Michael Edward Duggan, Democrat

2. Memphis, Tennessee
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.5
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 51
Mayor: Jim Strickland, Democrat

3. Birmingham, Alabama
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.3
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 52
Mayor: Randall Woodfin, Democrat

4. Baltimore
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.5
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 54
Mayor: Jack Young, Democrat

5. Flint, Michigan
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.3
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 55
Mayor: Sheldon Neely, Democrat

6. St. Louis
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.2
Mayor: Lyda Krewson, Democrat

7. Danville, Illinois
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 18.0
Mayor: Ricky Williams Jr. (nonpartisan election)

8. Saginaw, Michigan
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 16.7
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 60
Mayor: Floyd Kloc (nonpartisan election)

9. Wilmington, Delaware
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 16.3
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 61
Mayor: Mike Purzycki, Democrat

10. Camden, New Jersey
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 16.2
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 62
Mayor: Francisco Moran, Democrat

11. Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 16.0
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 62
Mayor: Shirley Washington, Democrat

12. Kansas City, Missouri
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 15.9
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 63
Mayor: Quinton Lucas, Democrat

13. San Bernardino, California
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 15.3
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 65
Mayor: John Valdivia, Democrat

14. Alexandria, Louisiana
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.6
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 68
Mayor: Jeffrey Hall, Democrat

15. Little Rock, Arkansas
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.6
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 68
Mayor: Frank Scott Jr., Democrat

16. Cleveland
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.5
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 69
Mayor: Frank Jackson, Democrat

17. Milwaukee
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.3
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 70
Mayor: Tom Barrett, Democrat

18. Stockton, California
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.2
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 70
Mayor: Michael Tubbs, Democrat

19. Monroe, Louisiana
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.1
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 71
Mayor: James Earl Mayo, Democrat

20. Chester, Pennsylvania
Violent crime rate (per 1,000 residents): 14.0
Odds of being a victim: 1 in 71
Mayor: Thaddeus Kirkland, Democrat
Cant wait for stone28's reply to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 06:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeGee7 View Post
If your point is that the gang-bangers shoot other gang-bangers (and innocent bystanders) with stolen weapons, how would more gun control laws make a difference?
You assume I am advocating for some kind of gun control.

I'm advocating for recognition that gun violence is a problem in the USA and that it is a complex, multi-facted issue that needs to be addressed.

I would suggest the idiots who get a lawfully gun stolen from their unlocked car should never own a gun again because it is clear they are not a RESPONSIBLE gun owner ...........I know radical.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:50 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
It's hilariously that you mention Mexico without doing one second of research on where Mexico get their guns....

let me give you a hint:

Mexico get their guns from us.

Yes, Mexico bring us drugs in exchange for guns and money.

Which essentially highlights one important point - it doesn't matter how strict your gun law is if you neighbor is a reckless arms dealer.

It doesn't matter how strict your gun law is if you are willing to break laws to get them. When will you figure that out ?

Old 08-17-2020, 06:52 PM

495 posts, read 192,933 times
I disagree. I don’t think gun violence in the big Democrat-controlled cities is complex or multi-faceted.

Criminal gang members are stealing guns and shooting people. The solution is very simple. Enforce the laws as written and put away the shooters for a very long time.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:54 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeGee7 View Post
I disagree. I don’t think gun violence in the big Democrat-controlled cities is complex or multi-faceted.

Criminal gang members are stealing guns and shooting people. The solution is very simple. Enforce the laws as written and put away the shooters for a very long time.
The underlined flies in contrast to EVERY Soros funded State District Attorney and State Attorney General.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:56 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The underlined flies in contrast to EVERY Soros funded State District Attorney and State Attorney General.

Yes...it's these DA's with their 'criminal justice reform' platform. Criminal justice 'reform' means that there are simply too many people in prison, so don't put so many there. It's that simple. And that stupid. Yet city after city is doing it...and now even the suburbs. The DA in my county ran on that platform.

I'm all for programs preventing crime, or rehabilitating people after prison. But after a crime has been committed, people need to do time. Otherwise we have lawlessness.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Actually you can thank Trump for the murders. His budget proposed cutting COPS Hire by 58% all the while supporting the NRA's agenda of unlimited access to weapons whose only purpose is to kill humans. Heck, a few years back, they at least hid behind the fig leaf of needing guns to hunt animals.
Cutting COPS Hire? Wait, did Trump cut the hiring of cops?

Trump supported and called on states to implement red flag laws and supported bump stock bans.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:12 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You assume I am advocating for some kind of gun control.

I'm advocating for recognition that gun violence is a problem in the USA and that it is a complex, multi-facted issue that needs to be addressed.

I would suggest the idiots who get a lawfully gun stolen from their unlocked car should never own a gun again because it is clear they are not a RESPONSIBLE gun owner ...........I know radical.
How often does this actually happen? I understand what you're saying, but is this really a wide spread problem?

Old 08-17-2020, 07:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
How often does this actually happen? I understand what you're saying, but is this really a wide spread problem?
In the last six months we have had our local police post social media 'reminders' not to leave guns in unlocked cars.

Our neighboring city police department did the same thing.

I didn't think it was a thing either -- but clearly it is enough for our police forces to be issuing regular reminders.

It makes me so angry.

The only gun control I want is to slow criminals from getting them.

I've come a long way. I grew up in Canada where we see USA gun ownership as some kind of 'viral' issue.

Lots of discussions 20 years ago and I understand the concerns with suggested gun controls, etc......

I know nothing about the mechanics so I will not advocate for any one kind to be banned or for some technical adjustment. That would be crazy for me to speak to something like that.

BUT when I keep getting reminders from our local PD to not leave guns in unlocked cars....it makes me freak'n crazy.

Gun violence is a problem in the USA -- now and always. We can pretend it is a new problem but that's just being silly.

I don't know what the answer is -- but I would start with making it harder for criminals to get guns.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
If posters don't believe the cities with a lot of problems are the ones that want to defund the police - maybe they'll believe this woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoEuCOfjTYQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies