Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 06:34 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

I will never support the Democratic party, nor gun control, but I will give both credit for NYC. NYC was a shinning example that stood above every city in this country, regardless of party. I have my opinions one how it got to be so safe but I'm sure I'd get lambasted for it. Either way, it's a shame to see it's decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 06:38 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Who would've thought in January of 2020 that the money makers this year would've been: plywood, plexiglass and toilet paper.
Dont forget green lasers and crowbars.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:44 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
A friend of mine in NY told me things were much worse than what the MSM is showing the public, even in places like Manhattan.
While I believed him, I had no way of knowing to what extent things have gotten to.

He sent me this link of someone who did a video;

https://twitter.com/FortuneUSNews/st...08800013979648

It is hard to believe virtually every major store/shop is bordered up on his 4 minute drive, with some never to return.

`
A city under siege from an invading army.

Liberalism is the greatest threat the US has faced since its inception.

Dems, of course, turn a blind eye to this, which deep down, they know is wrong.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:49 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
DiBlasio and the city council have made it their duty to push more costs and regulations onto businesses and landlords in NYC. Closed off roads for pedestrian traffic makes it difficult and more expensive for businesses to receive their inventory. Closed off all tourism, people would go to nyc for the restaurants, broadway shows, shopping. So you aren't even bringing in that. The city is going to be in a severe financial crisis even more so than they are already. Combine that with absurdly high property taxes (which drive the high rent) and then they shut everything down making it even harder to survive, many businesses are like "I'm out" - [mic drop] and they won't come back. Why would anyone? NYC was a very special place, but now the shutdown proved that you don't need to live or work in NYC. Listen to how the city council and the mayor speak. They just parrot off the same talking points, talk in circles without really answering any questions. People lap it up and think they are wonderful. So, I just don't see how anything can ever improve. The moderate people in NYC have been leaving and what will be left are the "working poor" who are addicted to all of the programs available for them which will keep them voting for the same politicians. Meanwhile, crime will continue to go up. So in conclusion, I predict at least 20 years of downward slide for NYC.
RE taxes are cheap in nyc compared to its suburbs in LI and NJ.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:53 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
I keep hearing about how all cities are being ruined by rioters and looters. I'm just not seeing it, at least not in my area. I went downtown a week or two ago. Other than a few African Americans saying hello (the nerve of those people!), nothing dangerous happened. I didn't even have to draw my gun a single time. In fact, I think the only people that had weapons of any sort were those scared of things that weren't happening.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Debt is how many things are paid for. Schools, infrastructures, etc. are built with debt. People buy cars and houses with debt. Japan has the highest debt to gdp in the world for many decades. They have been doing fine. The world has even followed their model.

People need stop following Dave Ramsey.
LOL. People are ruined by debt. One downturn or a couple of layoffs and you are out on the street with nothing. The best thing you can do is live within your means and save. That is how you build wealth. The average American does not build wealth by going into debt for the new boat.

Nations can be ruined by debt too (e.g. Greece) but it is more complex matter. I have never heard Ramsey say much about the national debt. His focus is personal and business debt.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:58 AM

37,200 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
A friend of mine in NY told me things were much worse than what the MSM is showing the public, even in places like Manhattan.
While I believed him, I had no way of knowing to what extent things have gotten to.

He sent me this link of someone who did a video;

https://twitter.com/FortuneUSNews/st...08800013979648

It is hard to believe virtually every major store/shop is bordered up on his 4 minute drive, with some never to return.

`
That video was posted on YT on June 3. It's two and one-half months old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdCt5fcvJt8

Old 08-18-2020, 07:01 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I keep hearing about how all cities are being ruined by rioters and looters. I'm just not seeing it, at least not in my area. I went downtown a week or two ago. Other than a few African Americans saying hello (the nerve of those people!), nothing dangerous happened. I didn't even have to draw my gun a single time. In fact, I think the only people that had weapons of any sort were those scared of things that weren't happening.
My town and next door DC are bidness as usual. Just avoid the White House which is always a good idea anyway since there's often something going on there.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:05 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
For the last 20 summers, I have driven from NJ, around Manhattan to be with my family on weekends at our beach house, even though driving through Manhattan is the most direct route. Going through Manhattan always took a lot longer because of traffic and pedestrians.

This summer, I drive right through the middle of Manhattan because it is a ghost town, and the drive from the Lincoln Tunnel on the West side, to the Queens Midtown Tunnel on the East side, takes 10 minutes, where in normal times it can take up to an hour.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:09 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Traffic is way down in Houston, too.

So are toll road receipts.

Makes me wonder what will the powers that be do when the bond payments are due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies