Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 08:41 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Thanks to those who posted the videos.

A poster suggested that it might be a good time to buy in Manhattan for those who always wanted to do so.

I've been keeping an eye at specific properties for sale (studio apartments and 1-bedrooms on the lower Upper West Side of Manhattan). More out of curiosity than out of a strong desire to buy. Before Covid-BLM, there was hardly anything offered for less than $400,000. Now, I see quite a few listings in the $300k - $350k and $350k - $400k ranges. Some listings have had significant price cuts, too.

Now, do I believe it's a good idea to buy there now ? No. Even at the lower range, $300,000 is no chump change. And you have to factor in the HOA fees, which are not cheap because the neighborhood is nice and many buildings have a doorman.
There is a lot of uncertainty right now. The mayor is not exactly a law-and-order type. There are PLENTY of people in the Bronx and eastern Brooklyn that behaved ok when the city was tough-on-crime, but could potentially return to their old ways of crime and violence - if they have not done so already.

I believe property prices will continue to go down. A lot.
Eventually prices will reach a level that represents good value. Maybe middle-class folks will be able to live in the city again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 09:30 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Eventually prices will reach a level that represents good value. Maybe middle-class folks will be able to live in the city again.
No, because they have nowhere to send their kids. De Blasio insists on bringing everyone down to the poor kids level instead of bringing up the poor kids. Standards are being lowered to placate the mob

We're going to have to move because I can't afford 50K per kid per year to go to private school in NYC

Old 08-18-2020, 09:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
A friend of mine in NY told me things were much worse than what the MSM is showing the public, even in places like Manhattan.
While I believed him, I had no way of knowing to what extent things have gotten to.

He sent me this link of someone who did a video;

https://twitter.com/FortuneUSNews/st...08800013979648

It is hard to believe virtually every major store/shop is bordered up on his 4 minute drive, with some never to return.

`
Dated video.

Similar images were on the news following the horrific civil unrest 2+ months ago.

Most of those stores have reopened.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:03 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

You know they are going to blame every ounce of suffering and misfortune that follows on Trump... You just know it's coming...
That already came since 2016. I remember the first time I watched the news about the San Jose protest outside the Trump rally. You know, the one where they beat up supporters coming out of the rally while the police just stood there watching? While that’s a regular occurrence now it was a new thing then. I remember reading an article blaming the whole thing on Trump. Like the wife beater who blames her for him giving her a black eye.

It was the thing that actually got me to change my mind and vote for Trump because until then I assumed Hillary Clinton had it in the bag and would be alright as President. I was as surprised as anyone when he won and have spent the next four years looking on in disgust as Democrats do this over and over again.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:08 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Video is from early June right after the initial riots.
Those could start up again at any moment. They keep popping back up again. Just ask Chicago.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:12 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I guess you haven’t heard the news: we are in the middle of a pandemic.
Guess the Pandemic most have looted all those stores

Old 08-19-2020, 12:06 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engines3 View Post
Thats horrible looking at the vid....... What a crowded city and now look at it

It is sickening what has happened to NYC.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:09 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I saw this posted on other forums and some New Yorkers piped in and said it is old footage just after Covid started.

There are videos I just checked on youtube made in the last few days with lots of traffic and people walking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9W5SoSZEQ
That is about, at most, 2% of the usual Times Square quantity of cars and people coming through. It's usually a time consuming area to walk through with overflowing sidewalk traffic and street traffic. I've endured cab rides around it where the sitting still charges exceeded 15 minutes, barely making it quicker to ride vs walk.

Very depressing sight.

It would barely be lots for my Ct town of 50k to have that quantity.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:17 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I saw this posted on other forums and some New Yorkers piped in and said it is old footage just after Covid started.
Of course it is, that is just so typical of hysterical right wingers, especially the self-appointed 3 star crew. They'll post whatever fits their narrative without even trying to figure out whether there is any truth to it.

It's clear from how the people are dressed that this was NOT recorded in August, or the summer at all. Looks like March to me. When NYC was in full lockdown.

Old 08-19-2020, 01:51 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Meanwhile in Brooklyn, Antifa trashes Whole Foods and Apple Store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0WpRqA5xIOM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies