Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2020, 01:54 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times

Advertisements

The only people who should care are the voters there. The voters there want this, who are we (unless one of us lives there), to complain, support, or say really anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 02:04 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
There are tons of them moving to FL, especially once they learn there is no state income tax and mild winters. They are also moving to TX.
Lets just hope they do not bring their liberal voting record with them, which screwed up NY in the first place.
How on earth could DeBlasio ever get elected?

`
‘Carlos Danger’ .

Old 08-19-2020, 02:12 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Of course it is, that is just so typical of hysterical right wingers, especially the self-appointed 3 star crew. They'll post whatever fits their narrative without even trying to figure out whether there is any truth to it.

It's clear from how the people are dressed that this was NOT recorded in August, or the summer at all. Looks like March to me. When NYC was in full lockdown.
I was in NYC 3 weeks ago, going again today. Its a very inactive city NOW. Business orgs estimate, at most, 20% of those who routinely worked in NYC Q1 will be in NYC for work Q4 for even ONE day, and just 40% in all of 2021 will be there vs the Q1 2020 workforce in NYC.

Our office is a ghost town, with people like me just going in, rarely, under special circumstances. We have a few hundred staff working remote, since March, and today, in the office, there will be, grand total all departments, under fifteen there. 4 of us are at a special meeting, so the routine daily NYC office headcount is 10 or 11.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:36 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Of course it is, that is just so typical of hysterical right wingers, especially the self-appointed 3 star crew. They'll post whatever fits their narrative without even trying to figure out whether there is any truth to it.

It's clear from how the people are dressed that this was NOT recorded in August, or the summer at all. Looks like March to me. When NYC was in full lockdown.
Austin, Tx (your profile location) is 1,742 miles from NYC.

Many posting here, such as I, although from Ct or NJ, happen to work in NYC, and see it firsthand.

Its still largely a ghost town. That includes Grand Central Station, which I was in 3 weeks ago. Very few people. Very few businesses open..almost no customers.

Metro North trains which used to be overloaded, run on closer to a holiday schedule now, with seldom above 25% occupancy.

Subways same story. We have one exec who must stay at NY office for us, lives near Columbus Circle, who often has subway car to himself at 5 p.m.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:29 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:

I have been driving through the city all summer. It is not as desolate as in the video, but it is still a shell of what it was before COVID. There are always some people walking on the sidewalks, but not anywhere in the same ballpark as what it used to be. And driving around the city is a dream compare to the usual traffic.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:26 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Tourists are all gone, what do you guys expect from not being to travel during a pandemic...of course marquee touristy areas such as Times Square and midtown Fifth Avenue will be empty. The pedestrian traffic that you would see normally would be composed of mostly tourists.

People who worked in offices before Covid, would be, well in their offices working. Hardly anybody working in Midtown would be caught dead going outside for lunch because the streets are so crowded, it will actually cut into your lunch hour trying to get around.

Meanwhile in my neighborhood far away from Manhattan, people are in the streets like normal, and DFDs come for the weekend to hit the beach. On a nice hot Saturday, on-street parking is barely existent.

I work in lower Manhattan and people are definitely on the streets, albeit not as much as before. Every day I see people utilizing the outdoor restaurants by my office. It's mostly the people who live around here and the people that work around here. No tourists.

At .49 of the video you can clearly see somebody walking by in a heavy-looking jacket. This video is definitely not recent.

Fifth Avenue Midtown LiveCam, Saks Fifth Avenue took down their wooden barricades:
Fifth Avenue Cam

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-19-2020, 11:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
For the prices people pay in NYC I'd be leaving too. It is absolutely not worth what they are going through. Wether it's traffic or dollars it was too much and the virus burst a very over inlfated or hyped bubble.
People stay and pay off their $2M condo, and eventually retire and move to Florida with $2-3M in the pocket. Is is expensive? Yes, very, but it might be worth the time and investment. Some people are not wired for life in big city, while some others don't mind.

As for Manhattan home prices, they are down about 5%, so they'll have to come down a lot more to make it an attractive investment.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-19-2020 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-19-2020, 11:59 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I have been driving through the city all summer. It is not as desolate as in the video, but it is still a shell of what it was before COVID. There are always some people walking on the sidewalks, but not anywhere in the same ballpark as what it used to be. And driving around the city is a dream compare to the usual traffic.
Yeah, same here in Austin. Traffic is great compared to before, things are mostly reopened, but nothing like pre COVID yet.

The video is obviously blatant misinformation.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:02 PM

25,771 posts, read 12,840,301 times
HOLY COW! That is an amazing video. I'm in shock. All those lost jobs, and tax revenues. The anarchists are winning there. DeBlasio should be jailed. How does this end? Can NYC survive 5th ave shutting down? There were very few people & cars around...Sunday morning 7 am?

My preveailing thought is Democrat violence against other Democrats. Its like black on black crime in the inner cities, but now its expanded to Dem on Dem...not just blacks.

How does anyone vote for that? That is Biden's America.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I was in NYC 3 weeks ago, going again today. Its a very inactive city NOW. Business orgs estimate, at most, 20% of those who routinely worked in NYC Q1 will be in NYC for work Q4 for even ONE day, and just 40% in all of 2021 will be there vs the Q1 2020 workforce in NYC.

Our office is a ghost town, with people like me just going in, rarely, under special circumstances. We have a few hundred staff working remote, since March, and today, in the office, there will be, grand total all departments, under fifteen there. 4 of us are at a special meeting, so the routine daily NYC office headcount is 10 or 11.
Our Plano, TX office headcount has been zero since March. Not that I go there that often anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
How does anyone vote for that? That is Biden's America.
If he wins, it will be his America, but as of today its still Trumps America and his home city no less. The video was shot months ago, as has been pointed out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies