Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 05:06 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Again, not claiming anything about the average soldier.

South Carolina was the first State to secede. They seceded because the federal government would not overturn abolitionist policies in Northern states. They seceded because the federal government would not violate a state’s right to abstain from slavery.

The Slaver States would not be appeased period full stop.

Even after the War, they still would not be appeased.

Even today, they still will not be appeased. It's ridiculous.
You are spot on. One only has to look at Virginia Governor Letcher's conditions for Virginia staying in the Union which were published in the Richmond Examiner in January 1861. They were all about the right of slave owners to keep slaves in their home states and the rest of the union and to have slave owners be able to bring slaves even into free territories.

The average solider fought with bravery, but that doesn't ennoble their cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 05:24 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The British Colonies belonged to Great Britain until July 4th, 1776.

I would argue that after our assertion of independence there was in fact a British invasion of what had become the former British colonies.

The only consistent argument you can make for invading the southern states after their independence had been declared is the people do not have a right to chart their own destiny.
Except in VA where the process was rigged. In 1861 Virginia voters were given the choice to elect delegates for a secession convention. The vote in the special convention on April 4, 1861 was 2 to 1 against secession. Knowing they were losing, secessionist held a People's Spontaneous Convention threatening the elected government with mob violence. The threat of mob violence, the state militia being called out by a pro-secession governor, the Confederate Army being invited in, the attempted relief at Fort Sumpter turned the legislators to secession, but they still needed the results of the referendum.

The the votes from the pro-Union counties were "lost" and Virginia left the Union. That the voters of Virginia really wanted to leave is up to debate. What is now WV left Virginia, there was a pro-Union state government which was located in Alexandria and the only way the Confederate government held onto power in VA was through martial law - even in those areas not invaded by the Union.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:50 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Except in VA where the process was rigged. In 1861 Virginia voters were given the choice to elect delegates for a secession convention. The vote in the special convention on April 4, 1861 was 2 to 1 against secession. Knowing they were losing, secessionist held a People's Spontaneous Convention threatening the elected government with mob violence. The threat of mob violence, the state militia being called out by a pro-secession governor, the Confederate Army being invited in, the attempted relief at Fort Sumpter turned the legislators to secession, but they still needed the results of the referendum.

The the votes from the pro-Union counties were "lost" and Virginia left the Union. That the voters of Virginia really wanted to leave is up to debate. What is now WV left Virginia, there was a pro-Union state government which was located in Alexandria and the only way the Confederate government held onto power in VA was through martial law - even in those areas not invaded by the Union.
Which is why I hold the politicians accountable for the war on both sides. In hindsight, there were better ways they could have gone about this without resorting to war but corrupt politicians, wealthy businessmen, and pig headed stubborn idealist would not budge from the course that ultimately led to war.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:06 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,906,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Again, not claiming anything about the average soldier.

South Carolina was the first State to secede. They seceded because the federal government would not overturn abolitionist policies in Northern states. They seceded because the federal government would not violate a state’s right to abstain from slavery.

The Slaver States would not be appeased period full stop.

Even after the War, they still would not be appeased.

Even today, they still will not be appeased. It's ridiculous.
Glad to know you will not be moving South to escape high taxes and your crime. I'm sure if you did, you would be working hard to make your new home just like the old one you just escaped from!

Old 08-22-2020, 06:17 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
A thread on why Confederates should be honored, and people are taking 11 pages to defend a treasonous institution......

Welcome to City Data!

Old 08-22-2020, 06:18 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to defend the confederacy so much.

These are people who broke away and actively rebelled against the union. The tried to break apart the United States and yet Trump and a large chunk of the GOP want to preserve their legacy as some kind of heroism.
they are TRAITORS to the USA plain and simple.

Why do we need a statue in a traitors name, schools and streets named after them?

People say tearing down the status erases history but does it? We don't need a monument to Osama Bin Laden to remember 9/11 do we? Do we need a statue of Benedict Arnold? Lets have a statue honoring the legacy of King George. Ya know they one we rebelled against for independence.

So someone explain, why should the confederacy be honor like AMERICAN heroes
"I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to defend the confederacy so much."

"I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to ATTACK the confederacy so much.

Maybe, you need a refresher course on the war between the states and the hypocrisy from the left on the issue.

England OWNED us, we wanted, "independence" and England was against it so we FOUGHT to gain it.

Some states wanted "independence" from the United States, a country they FREELY joined and we NOT allowed to secede from. Why not? Can't you withdraw from ANY group or organization, etc, that you FREELY join and decide to withdraw from?

You can JOIN the United States but, CANNOT withdraw. Why?

The United States was based on the theory of FREEDOMS. Freedom of Speech, freedom to "keep and bear arms, etc.

It was NOT treason to withdraw, which a charge falsely claimed many times.

The south did NOT attempt to overthrow the U.S., just want to LEAVE the U.S.

I give them credit for standing up for their beliefs and the valiant attempt to defend themselves from a tyrannical government who wanted to "control" them.

A perspective I bet bet you never considered.

"Why do we need a statue in a traitors name, schools and streets named after them?" They are in the south, so why do you care? Don't like it DON'T visit and do NOT move there.

Besides we have a thing here called "Freedom of speech"

"You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others....."

Maybe because of people like you that want EVERYONE to be FORCED to follow YOUR beliefs and attack others that do NOT, is 1 reason the south wanted to leave the union. Think about THAT for awhile.

"I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to defend the confederacy so much".

I suggest you get in touch with the DEM Speaker of the HOUSE, nancy pelosi, and DEMAND the statues of Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson that her FATHER dedicated in Baltimore, be removed.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 08-22-2020 at 06:42 AM..

Old 08-22-2020, 06:26 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
It was a different country back then. They truly believed they had the right to separate off from the republic. Kind of like how the Indians thought they had the right to live free, the crazy people that they were.

The Union didn’t have much moral high ground IMO. I do believe the slaves would have been freed by the south and their lives probably would have ended up much better had the south prevailed without northern interference. Who knows?
"I do believe the slaves would have been freed by the south". The invention of the cotton gin negated the need for slaves to pick the cotton so in time they would have been freed anyway.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:39 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Was it America that first had a star on its flag?

I just don't see the union jack as a star.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:41 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Glad to know you will not be moving South to escape high taxes and your crime. I'm sure if you did, you would be working hard to make your new home just like the old one you just escaped from!
Bless your heart.

Still railing at Northerners, & behind their backs of course.

There's that Southern hospitality. & distorted culture of honor.

Southern Hospitality Is As Fake As The People Who Practice It

Cause everywhere else in the country, it's called being a two-faced little....

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/sou...eople-practice

Old 08-22-2020, 06:50 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I do believe the slaves would have been freed by the south". The invention of the cotton gin negated the need for slaves to pick the cotton so in time they would have been freed anyway.
Weren't the Jews the first homeless people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies