Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Start Focusing on Non-Compliance in these Police Involved Incidents?
Yes 143 89.38%
No 17 10.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 11:57 AM

464 posts, read 202,848 times

Advertisements

Bottom Line, Dude would LIKELY still be alive if he would have stayed put, not walked around to his driver's side vehicle and reached inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 12:00 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You hit the nail sticking up squarely when you bring up the LEVEL of force. Cops have the tools for any level appropriate to a situation. Someone isnt complying with lawful orders...OK...are they armed and a threat? If so lethal force is appropriate. Also if they are going for a weapon.

Are they just some drunk or tweaker being stupid but aren't armed? Taser time. Or PR 24 spring billy etc. The rules of appropriate level of force are already there. Have been for a long time.

Cops can use whatever force is necessary in a given situation. The level of force must fit that situation.
Exactly right.

Reps to you!

Old 08-24-2020, 12:17 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
You are arguing a completely separate point. All the guy had to do was comply and he never would have been reaching for anything.
No, I'm not "arguing" anything. I'm just saying we dont have all the facts. Should he have stopped and done what they were telling him to do? Yeah. But he didn't.

And now hes in ICU with multiple GSWs. And now the real fun begins with the shooting review. Which I have to say is a LOT easier for cops than it is for citizens who have to shoot in self defense. Less expensive too.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:30 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No, I'm not "arguing" anything. I'm just saying we dont have all the facts. Should he have stopped and done what they were telling him to do? Yeah. But he didn't.

And now hes in ICU with multiple GSWs. And now the real fun begins with the shooting review. Which I have to say is a LOT easier for cops than it is for citizens who have to shoot in self defense. Less expensive too.
It's a mess, a total disgusting mess. Now that guy has to deal with the surgeries and recovery, that cop's life is going to be turned upside down, and Kenosha burned and broke

ALL of this could have been avoided if the suspect followed police orders as every citizen is required to

This is such an obvious thing BLM should be promoting, comply with the police! Everyone has the power to do this, it's one of the few things people can do that will have an immediate and impactful result. People need to understand their civil responsibilities

Old 08-24-2020, 12:33 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
My dad and school talked to me about complying with and respecting police officers.

Do these conversations not happen in certain neighborhoods?

There's a mindset, driven by increasing lack of respect for authority, that makes resisting arrest almost a prerequisite for certain cultures.

Many growing up with no fathers, no discipline.

There's an attitude that they're being "dissed" by the police and therefore they don't have to comply with lawful orders.

This often elevates into situations where they end up putting their lives and the officers lives at risk, in order to look tough.

And the current movement is only adding fuel to that fire.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:42 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Bc we don't live a police state where unquestioning obedience is mandatory to continue living.

Anyone who thinks that is also signing up to be shot for believing the tree of liberty quote.

Being legally in the right is cold comfort to a corpse.

I had more than my share of run ins with police when I was young and stupid.

But I was never stupid enough to resist arrest.

And I never had an issue with them getting physical with me because no matter my personal feelings, I was always respectful and very careful to come across as non threatening.

Fights with the law belong in a courtroom, not in the streets.

There are some things that people just need to learn to accept.....death, taxes .....

And resisting arrest is never going to end well for you.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:47 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
There's a mindset, driven by increasing lack of respect for authority, that makes resisting arrest almost a prerequisite for certain cultures.

There's an attitude that they're being "dissed" by the police and therefore they don't have to comply with lawful orders.

This often elevates into situations where they end up putting their lives and the officers lives at risk, in order to look tough.

Well they know what might likely happen, so if they want to take that risk by fighting the police over some ego thing, that is their unfortunate choice.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:49 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Being legally in the right is cold comfort to a corpse.

I had more than my share of run ins with police when I was young and stupid.

But I was never stupid enough to resist arrest.

And I never had an issue with them getting physical with me because no matter my personal feelings, I was always respectful and very careful to come across as non threatening.

Fights with the law belong in a courtroom, not in the streets.

There are some things that people just need to learn to accept.....death, taxes .....

And resisting arrest is never going to end well for you.
Do you believe Americans have the right to revolt and overthrow an oppressive govt?

Old 08-24-2020, 12:57 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
There's a mindset, driven by increasing lack of [/b]respect for authority,[/b] that makes resisting arrest almost a prerequisite for certain cultures.

Didn’t the Museum of African American History say that “respect for authority” is a white thing? That right there is the problem: they are promoting the idea that defying authority is a black thing. We even have (black) posters right here in C-D proudly declaring how they will not comply with police instructions.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:59 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,483 times
B-b--b-but I thought compliance was bad! When businesses want me to comply with their mask rule, I thought I was supposed to resist because AMURRICAH! MAH FREEDUMS!

Are you saying compliance is good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies