Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Start Focusing on Non-Compliance in these Police Involved Incidents?
Yes 143 89.38%
No 17 10.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 09:47 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If you didn't do anything, you absolutely have the right to flex your freedom. Your rights exist until there's a reason to infringe on you exercising them. They don't exist at the discretion of police or get paused while police look for reasons to hem you up.

American police have been the biggest source of Constitutional violations. No other entity in American history has violated more Americans for longer than the American police force, and you're still preaching that we need to just go along with what they tell us? Bc they have our best interest in mind? Go somewhere with that.

And you can be quiet about de-escalation when a cornerstone of Conservative politics is killing politicians when you don't like what they're doing in office. Or did you think tree of liberty gets watered in a bloodless revolution? The simple fact is when Conservatives think their rights are being infringed on, non-compliance is your #1 tactic. When anyone else tries it, they need to shut up and deal.
Beautiful deflection.

When or if you interact with the police, do you refuse to comply and do as that individual did or do you comply?
Do you put yourself in that position in the first place?

The man in question was a woman beating thug, not a hero, not a patriot, just your garden variety thug. Let's keep it honest.

I myself choose my heroes a little more carefully. I don't know if he needed to be shot. I do know that no matter what the police did short of just walking away, you likely would find fault with it.

Comply and let the lawyers hash it out. That is part of our legal system. The fact he pulled this stunt with children in the car speaks volumes. Was he attempting to use them as shields or just props?
Our legal system allows you to retain a lawyer and present your case to a jury of your peers. He would be alive and well today had even one braincell been working. Just because we can do something doesn't make it right to do that something. Idiots prove that rule everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 10:02 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about

The Supreme court has consistently reaffirmed the constitutionality of police detaining people at the scene for their safety and the enforcement of law. Citizens are required to follow police instructions, and we saw the reason why when that man was shot in Wisconsin
Detaining witnesses is shaky reasoning for the implicit purpose of compelling them to do something they don't want to do. Cops can detain a witness, but they can't force the witness to say anything, so it's in effect an power flex for police detain a witness who says they don't want to cooperate. It's toes a 4th Amendment violation so closely that police repeatedly also lost cases on those grounds.

So any cop who wants to force someone to stay somewhere just to mess with them is a cancer. Exactly the type of bully that fits the mold of everything people don't like about police. And if that man recognized that, and if cops were drawing on him bc he ignored their power flex, and they shot him bc of that, then that's the exact M.O. of a police state.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Beautiful deflection.

When or if you interact with the police, do you refuse to comply and do as that individual did or do you comply?
Do you put yourself in that position in the first place?

The man in question was a woman beating thug, not a hero, not a patriot, just your garden variety thug. Let's keep it honest.

I myself choose my heroes a little more carefully. I don't know if he needed to be shot. I do know that no matter what the police did short of just walking away, you likely would find fault with it.

Comply and let the lawyers hash it out. That is part of our legal system. The fact he pulled this stunt with children in the car speaks volumes. Was he attempting to use them as shields or just props?
Our legal system allows you to retain a lawyer and present your case to a jury of your peers. He would be alive and well today had even one braincell been working. Just because we can do something doesn't make it right to do that something. Idiots prove that rule everyday.
Don't worry about what I've done. As far as you're concerned, I dress up like Batman on weekdays and Joker on weekends.

Your rights don't depend on you being a good person. I'd rather defend a creep than an upstanding citizen bc at least that sets a floor not a threshold to enjoy your freedoms.

I guarantee you don't have this same blase attitude for police auditors who routinely check cops when they step out of their zone. Entire movement of mostly White Conservatives who purposely antqgonize cops just to shut them down for trying to tell them to do things they legally can't. Never heard s single peep from Conservatives about that. But Black people always need to shut up and comply, right?

Old 08-24-2020, 10:15 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Anyone on this site who has been arrested before can tell you what happens if you don’t comply or you’re slow to comply.

1. You get charged with resisting arrest.
2. You get charged with obstructing justice.
3. You get tased, beaten, tackled, or pepper sprayed.

At no point in time is a police officer going to just let you go, once they decide to make an arrest.

Wether you go to jail willingly or with holes in you, is up to you. But you are getting booked. The common theme in these shootings is the subjects have been to jail before and don’t want to go back.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:22 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
It always comes out at the trial. It's why the cops almost always get found not guilty.
Because the Colin Powell and Ben Carson’s of the Black community who get arrrsted don’t resist, spend their night in jail, and make bail the next day.

Yet the George Floyd’s and Rashad Brooks of the Black Community who get arrested, resist, ignore orders, and put themselves in situations to be shot. And they’re either on parole or have active warrants.

So when it goes to trial, the cop is either no-guilty or gets out after a year of good behavior. No jury is going to side with a criminal over a cop. It’s just not going to happen.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:36 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Don't worry about what I've done. As far as you're concerned, I dress up like Batman on weekdays and Joker on weekends.

Your rights don't depend on you being a good person. I'd rather defend a creep than an upstanding citizen bc at least that sets a floor not a threshold to enjoy your freedoms.

I guarantee you don't have this same blase attitude for police auditors who routinely check cops when they step out of their zone. Entire movement of mostly White Conservatives who purposely antqgonize cops just to shut them down for trying to tell them to do things they legally can't. Never heard s single peep from Conservatives about that. But Black people always need to shut up and comply, right?
Well this conservative leaning Independent would like to see all cop related killings or injuries investigated by a federal department. That eliminates the conflict of interest. I have posted many times in regard to cops covering for cops, about bad cops, etc. What I never defend is when someone tries to provoke an outcome and then they get it.

Read my many posts on both Arbery and on the Floyd killings, also on the Trevon Martin killing. A bad shoot is a bad shoot as is kneeling on someones neck even after they dead. If I had my way all cop related killings would be investigated by the FBI.

You can defend who you like, but there is a reason you are deflecting. What would you do if the police told you to stop?
That includes routine traffic stops. So either you are full of it or you aren't. I am guessing that you would pull over and comply, just like the vast majority do. What you wouldn't do is defy them and reach into a car where they can't see your hands.

Cops can't read minds. We don't pay cops to make targets of themselves or to take stupid risks. Had the man in question been a nobody with no history of violent behavior? Had the man in question even behaved slightly reasonably, I would be questioning the shooting more.

Maybe the man wanted suicide by cop. He certainly did everything it would take to achieve that goal.

Some people reach in polar bear cages just to see what will happen. They ignore all the warnings, then cry foul when the bear helps themself to a snack. They then complain abo=ut the zoo not doing enough to protect them. They never want to look in the mirror and admit that it was their own fault.

In this case the man did everything he could topussh that outcome, but admit it. You would have been outraged if the tased him, or tackled him.

Me? Ill defend the law abiding citizen over a thug anytime. That citizen isn't looking for ways to victimize others.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well this conservative leaning Independent would like to see all cop related killings or injuries investigated by a federal department. That eliminates the conflict of interest. I have posted many times in regard to cops covering for cops, about bad cops, etc. What I never defend is when someone tries to provoke an outcome and then they get it.

You can defend who you like, but there is a reason you are deflecting. What would you do if the police told you to stop?
That includes routine traffic stops. So either you are full of it or you aren't. I am guessing that you would pull over and comply, just like the vast majority do. What you wouldn't do is defy them and reach into a car where they can't see your hands.

Cops can't read minds. We don't pay cops to make targets of themselves or to take stupid risks. Had the man in question been a nobody with no history of violent behavior? Had the man in question even behaved slightly reasonably, I would be questioning the shooting more.

Maybe the man wanted suicide by cop. He certainly did everything it would take to achieve that goal.

Some people reach in polar bear cages just to see what will happen. They ignore all the warnings, then cry foul when the bear helps themself to a snack. They then complain abo=ut the zoo not doing enough to protect them. They never want to look in the mirror and admit that it was their own fault.

In this case the man did everything he could topussh that outcome, but admit it. You would have been outraged if the tased him, or tackled him.

Me? Ill defend the law abiding citizen over a thug anytime. That citizen isn't looking for ways to victimize others.
I know my rights and I will exercise my rights. That's not provoking cops just bc they'd would rather I didn't do it. It's my right to exercise.

I'm not answering your question bc it's a pointless question. How I choose to exercise or NOT exercise my rights has no bearing on anyone else's decision to exercise theirs. He chose to exercise his right how he saw fit bc that's his right to do it.

His actions look "unreasonable" when your position is people should exercise your rights when it's convenient, not when they're allowed to, which is not what the Founding Fathers intended when they outlined them.

And yes, I would still be bothered of they tazed, tackled, or detained him. Those are all still violations of his rights.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:00 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,126 times
Things will get interesting when police start summarily executing white people for walking away when they're ordered to put a mask on.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Things will get interesting when police start summarily executing white people for walking away when they're ordered to put a mask on.
That's different. They aren't... Black.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:10 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
These incidents, even where a police office was criminally liable, are almost always completely avoidable with compliance to police instructions. It is a concrete, real, and effective action that people can do to avoid police involved injury or death.
Of course these incidents are avoidable by compliance. However the police cannot violate your rights arbitrarily, you have every right to not comply if they cannot articulate a specific statute you've violated. The alternative is the whole "Show me your papers" deal, with summary execution for non-compliance.

If cops consider that you knowing and exercising your rights is non-compliance, well, that's a very different discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies