Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Start Focusing on Non-Compliance in these Police Involved Incidents?
Yes 143 89.38%
No 17 10.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 04:33 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is not unlawful to resist an unlawful arrest.
Texas law states otherwise.

https://texas.public.law/statutes/te..._section_38.03
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 04:40 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Profanity and force is the language the underclasses understand. Otherwise you are seen as weak and neutered. Police using that language probably saved some people from being shot because it got them to comply.

We can't have Andy Griffith when dealing in a war zone. And war zones are expanding. It might not seem so in some areas, but I notice things happening slowly like the frog boiling in the pot. The left also want to socially engineer low crime suburban and rural areas to spread chaos all over. Things are already bad, people will soon be evicted from their homes and economy could collapse. The upcoming election is volatile. I don't blame the police for arming up, it was prescient for them to be doing so for some time. Certain groups tried to stop our local police from getting an armored vehicle about ten years ago. Thank goodness we got it. We may well need it soon enough.

Let's not blame the police for what we have become, they just react and reflect society.
Like I said, in high stress high adrenaline situations where its obviously violent and dangerous suspects being dealt with and the fight is on I get it. I've been there. I know what that's like.

As for "that's what the underclass understands" ....gotta say WHOA there. My current situation has me in a lifestyle that many would consider 'underclass'. A nasty divorce a vindictive money grubbing ex and medical issues forced me to a place I'd rather not be.

So because of where I live right now and a less than savory element that lives in close proximity the only language I'll understand is shouting and dropping F bombs every other word? Guilt by association I reckon.

Thankfully the deputies here have a bit more ...discretion..than to use expletive laced language in every dealing with the public. And if they have any opinions as to class that's not something that comes out in doing their job in interaction with the public in non life threatening situations.

OK, I'll grant that there are fleabags that do both need and deserve being sworn at especially in certain situations. But as a prerequisite to all police work I'm not buying it. I suppose you're kinda going with the passage from Tsun Tzu's Art of War..."to defeat your enemy...become your enemy "

Theres a lot more to the meaning than just acting the same way your enemy does. Personally, someone screaming profanity at me wanting me to do what they tell me to is not going to inspire me to comply.

Quite the opposite my instinct will be quite the opposite. This shouldn't be construed as saying cops need to be polite with criminals. Theres a time and place to take the gloves off. But that's not every situation. Not even with us 'underclass' folks.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:18 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Problem is, addressing the issue of non compliance/resisting arrest does not fit the acceptable narrative of oppressor vs oppressed. Their has to be a victim. Victims are the bread and butter of the left, unless the victim was a person dragged out of their car and beating nearly to death by peaceful protesters. If one addresses the issue directly, especially if a politician attempts to do, the left and a complicit media plays the racists card.
I will probably plagiarize this at some point.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:35 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times
Here is the thing, it seems like a lot of people don't understand the social contract that we have with police in our society. Now if some people want to do away with this social contract, then they will need to do it through democratic means. Since we put police in charge to keep order in society, we give them a certain power over all of us to help keep that order in society. With this social contract, we agree as a society to obey their commands when we are in their custody. If people want to throw away this social contract, fine, do it through democratic means, but this doesn't mean that this social contract doesn't exist.

If people of a community want protection, they have to be willing to deal with the authority that comes with that protection. Also, when you have this burden placed upon the people who are out there to protect the community, the level of force in the situation shouldn't be equal. How ridiculous does it sound that a cop must use a knife to subdue a perp, just because the perp also has a knife. This is not how it should work given the social contract that we have with police.

Having said all of this, because the police ultimately answer to the politicians and the people, in acts of unmitigated threats where disproportionate force is used, the police must be held accountable. The police will be imperfect because humans are imperfect, so the greatest way to mitigate any disproportionate use of force would be to comply with the police whenever dealing with them. If the police do act in an unjustified manner, then take it up with them in court, not on the streets.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
We can start out small and work up -how about not jumping on armed cops

Old 08-25-2020, 05:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I know my rights and I will exercise my rights. That's not provoking cops just bc they'd would rather I didn't do it. It's my right to exercise.

I'm not answering your question bc it's a pointless question. How I choose to exercise or NOT exercise my rights has no bearing on anyone else's decision to exercise theirs. He chose to exercise his right how he saw fit bc that's his right to do it.

His actions look "unreasonable" when your position is people should exercise your rights when it's convenient, not when they're allowed to, which is not what the Founding Fathers intended when they outlined them.

And yes, I would still be bothered of they tazed, tackled, or detained him. Those are all still violations of his rights.
In short, you pull over for the police regardless of if you feel you did anything illegal. You would comply with the police in the same exact situation. You are a talker. Talk is cheap. Don't be embarrassed the world is filled talkers.

Me I would comply and let the lawyers fight it out. I see no purpose in intentionally escalating a situation and turning it into a no win situation.

I have taken martial arts since I was a boy. I can absolutely hold my own against most. That doesn't mean that I go around challenging idiots or accepting challenges from idiots who feel they need to prove something. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that it is right or the smart move.

My son is black and I taught him to do what I do in regard to the police. Comply, let the lawyers work it out. I prefer that my son bury me someday and not the other way around. Especially just because he wanted to make a point. There is no dumber reason to risk your life than that. That's right there with eating tide pods.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:06 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,167,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Once again we have a police involved shooting in Kenosha, WI where the suspect was ignoring police instructions and being combative. Regardless of the final outcome, if it was justified or not, it would have been 100% avoided if the suspect had followed police instructions.

Why is it that people are not taking any responsibility for what they can do to do their part in making sure these things don't happen. Why aren't people taking responsibility and teaching their kids to respect authority and follow police instructions?

We can't just ignore this problem anymore, if you fight the police there is a huge chance of it ending badly for you, justified or not. But that can be completely avoided if you do the right thing
The radical left has made this the new normal........blacks can resist however they want and white cops can do nothing to stop them. If the cops get shot the incident is ignored. This can't be allowed to stand.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Things will get interesting when police start summarily executing white people for walking away when they're ordered to put a mask on.
That is absolutely a false equivalency and you know. If a white did what the individual in question did, they would have seen the same fate, and you know it.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Here is the thing, it seems like a lot of people don't understand the social contract that we have with police in our society. Now if some people want to do away with this social contract, then they will need to do it through democratic means. Since we put police in charge to keep order in society, we give them a certain power over all of us to help keep that order in society. With this social contract, we agree as a society to obey their commands when we are in their custody. If people want to throw away this social contract, fine, do it through democratic means, but this doesn't mean that this social contract doesn't exist.

If people of a community want protection, they have to be willing to deal with the authority that comes with that protection. Also, when you have this burden placed upon the people who are out there to protect the community, the level of force in the situation shouldn't be equal. How ridiculous does it sound that a cop must use a knife to subdue a perp, just because the perp also has a knife. This is not how it should work given the social contract that we have with police.

Having said all of this, because the police ultimately answer to the politicians and the people, in acts of unmitigated threats where disproportionate force is used, the police must be held accountable. The police will be imperfect because humans are imperfect, so the greatest way to mitigate any disproportionate use of force would be to comply with the police whenever dealing with them. If the police do act in an unjustified manner, then take it up with them in court, not on the streets.
Exactly right. This is just about the best post I have ever read on the topic.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:46 PM

495 posts, read 193,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll tell you my point of view,
I lived for many years in Mid-Missouri where most people where white

I lost count of how many times, I saw white kids, between 15-30 years old
standing up to cops, cursing them out, walking away from them, etc, etc, etc.
But now people tell me that when young black man get shot while doing the same thing
that "it is their fault for not complying"

Do you see why I would never agree with that?
I guarantee you no white age 15-30 ever stood up to cops, cursed them out, and walked away from them while said cops were arresting them on an outstanding warrant. Guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies