Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Start Focusing on Non-Compliance in these Police Involved Incidents?
Yes 143 89.38%
No 17 10.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 08:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Nobody is ignoring the possible impropriety of the police officer, it will be looked at with a fine tooth comb.

This is a separate issue.

These incidents, even where a police office was criminally liable, are almost always completely avoidable with compliance to police instructions. It is a concrete, real, and effective action that people can do to avoid police involved injury or death.

Why is BLM not putting out public service campaigns to comply with police instructions and then represent them in court if something wrong happened?
Because criminals are good and police are bad in our new world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 08:46 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It’s a black thing, according to the Smithsonian. “Respecting authority” is part of the culture of whiteness. Apparently.

Ahh, so it's racist the expect you urban blacks to actually listen to and follow lawful orders from the police instead of acting the fool or violently resisting arrest?

Old 08-26-2020, 08:54 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjjoclv View Post
Actually from some reports at least it appears the Police were responding to a phantom knife. That actually explains why a lot of this garbage went down. So is the individual required to respond to Police phantoms?
There is a picture of the knife in his hand.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I've read (from former cops) about some cops keeping vendettas (if that's the right word) against certain men they've encountered or arrested before. The cop will have a bad experience arresting someone & then see this same person down the road & carry out revenge. Basically what the cop will do is set the person up to fail while arresting them. Like make it look like the person is becoming violent on video or reaching for a weapon or give the person a command they know they won't follow. Such as purposely get the person all riled up and then give them a command they're too emotional to follow. Then say hey, they're not following orders & are resisting arrest, lets instigate this further so they'll reach for a weapon.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened here since Jacob Blake was arrested before & he was tackled on the ground at one point.
There's zero chance of that. Blake did some unbelievably crazy stuff that could not be set up. You need to learn to get the facts before you start throwing out opinions.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjjoclv View Post
You are still blowing past the meat of the discussion.

In the Kenosha case it does not appear the Police had any basis for an arrest.
It's an established FACT that they had a basis for an arrest. There was a warrant for his arrest for third-degree sexual assault.

Do you know anything about the case other than "white cop shot black criminal"?

Old 08-26-2020, 09:07 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
That's just BS. Those countries don't compare to the US. Take our black population and send them to Country A and watch those stats change.
Face it. Civil asset forfeiture, mass domestic surveillance, trigger happy police summarily executing unarmed citizens, the highest incarceration rate on the planet. You dumba$$es are living in a police state and don’t even know it.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:08 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Herein lies the problem, as I see it:

This is like me telling my kid "Ok, if you don't put that sock away, I"m going to bludgeon you to death with this bat!" Now, we live in a country where if I wanted to institute corporal punishment on my kids, I could. Hitting them with a bat is never acceptable though. And any parent would probably tell you that if my child was in non-compliance because they failed to put a sock away, it should not result in being hit with a bat.

That's part of the problem. Police are meting out punishment not in line with the severity of the non-compliance. Is it a perfect analogy? Of course not. But, if we remove the stigma of police from the conversation - punishment should fit the crime. Police officers are essentially meting out justice on the fly. I don't really blame them at times. They have to take some action. But, the "go-to" for some of these officers is lethal force.

Just because my kid might have been a bad actor at another time, but not necessarily at THIS time, doesn't mean he gets bludgeoned with a bat for something minor.

With Jacob Blake, they couldn't have tackled him? Grab him earlier? He was unarmed. To people that are willing to look at this from not just a BLM vs Blue Lives Matter perspective - this was the police allowing Blake to put himself in a position to get shot. "Go ahead, make my day!" Go ahead, go into your car to get your gun (or cell phone or a stick of gum). The moment you do, we will shoot you. That's what this is.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:12 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

This is like me telling my kid "Ok, if you don't put that sock away, I"m going to bludgeon you to death with this bat!" Now, we live in a country where if I wanted to institute corporal punishment on my kids, I could. Hitting them with a bat is never acceptable though. And any parent would probably tell you that if my child was in non-compliance because they failed to put a sock away, it should not result in being hit with a bat.

That's part of the problem. Police are meting out punishment not in line with the severity of the non-compliance. Is it a perfect analogy? Of course not. But, if we remove the stigma of police from the conversation - punishment should fit the crime. Police officers are essentially meting out justice on the fly. I don't really blame them at times. They have to take some action. But, the "go-to" for some of these officers is lethal force.

Just because my kid might have been a bad actor at another time, but not necessarily at THIS time, doesn't mean he gets bludgeoned with a bat for something minor.

With Jacob Blake, they couldn't have tackled him? Grab him earlier? He was unarmed. To people that are willing to look at this from not just a BLM vs Blue Lives Matter perspective - this was the police allowing Blake to put himself in a position to get shot. "Go ahead, make my day!" Go ahead, go into your car to get your gun (or cell phone or a stick of gum). The moment you do, we will shoot you. That's what this is.
Your kid isn't a criminal with the potential to whip out a deadly weapon at any moment. In the US guns are everywhere, police have to be on their toes and expect the worse.

If only there was a way to completely avoid these situations...

Oh wait there is, comply with police instructions!!

Old 08-26-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

That's part of the problem. Police are meting out punishment not in line with the severity of the non-compliance.
Going to get a gun to shoot the cops is pretty serious non-compliance, and that's the most reasonable interpretation of his actions.
Quote:
With Jacob Blake, they couldn't have tackled him? Grab him earlier? He was unarmed.
He had a knife in his left hand.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:20 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Compliance with police needs to be taught in schools. There are serious consequences for not complying with police officers, it should be common sense but apparently isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies