Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Start Focusing on Non-Compliance in these Police Involved Incidents?
Yes 143 89.38%
No 17 10.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 04:44 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That's a good way to eliminate police departments without going through all this defunding hoopla. A use of deadly force ban unless a gun is pointed directly at you. I guess you could have a department of cops who enjoy playing Russian Roulette in their spare time.
Why should it? The cops sign up for a job, in full knowledge of the risk. You don't see fire fighters bitching that they should have special privilege because their job requires them to play with fire and reminding everyone at every opportunity that they do.

I'm a firm believer that the cops should have no more right to deadly force than any other citizen. Take your pick, either the use of deadly force of citizens is relaxed to the levels cops enjoy, or cops need to demonstrate imminent threat of death or serious injury to self or others as everyone else does.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:57 AM

4,857 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You've got the wrong thread. If police acted inappropriately they should be dealt with

This thread is about what every person can do to avoid ever getting into that situation in the first place. If you comply with police instructions there will not be the opportunity for a cop to act appropriately or inappropriately. There is no reason to take that chance, even morons can be taught that simple, correct course of action.
Apparently not. It's not helping when idiots post Facebook/Twitter/YouTube videos of themselves antagonizing police during a simple traffic stop. Asking for a confrontation. Frequently staged, I'd bet... and looking for a payday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 05:16 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So as a society, the USA is saying if someone is concerned for their safety and resists arrest -- it is open season for the cops to kill.

Weigh the punishment vs. sthe benefit.

When I was a teen I snuck out to meet up with friends. Cops 'crashed' our little late night rendezvous -- we all ran. Thank goodness they didn't shoot us.
When we were teens - you didn't have what's going on today with everyone carrying knives and guns. Had he cop caught you - he would have driven you home in the back of a squad car and your dad would have kicked your butt - there was no need for the police to do anything because RESPONSIBILITY was taught.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:26 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I've read (from former cops) about some cops keeping vendettas (if that's the right word) against certain men they've encountered or arrested before. The cop will have a bad experience arresting someone & then see this same person down the road & carry out revenge. Basically what the cop will do is set the person up to fail while arresting them. Like make it look like the person is becoming violent on video or reaching for a weapon or give the person a command they know they won't follow. Such as purposely get the person all riled up and then give them a command they're too emotional to follow. Then say hey, they're not following orders & are resisting arrest, lets instigate this further so they'll reach for a weapon.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened here since Jacob Blake was arrested before & he was tackled on the ground at one point. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the cop just happened to let him back up & let him walk to his van, so he'd have a reason to shoot him. Believe it or not there are some cops like that.

Lt Governor Mandela Barnes even said yesterday
"This felt like some sort of vendetta taken out on a member of our community."

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...arnes/2327451/
And they talk about tin foil hats and Trump supporters!!! LOL

Old 08-26-2020, 06:01 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Why should it? The cops sign up for a job, in full knowledge of the risk. You don't see fire fighters bitching that they should have special privilege because their job requires them to play with fire and reminding everyone at every opportunity that they do.

I'm a firm believer that the cops should have no more right to deadly force than any other citizen. Take your pick, either the use of deadly force of citizens is relaxed to the levels cops enjoy, or cops need to demonstrate imminent threat of death or serious injury to self or others as everyone else does.
I'll assume you didn't read the post I responded to: even if there was a weapon, he has to pick it up and point it at the cop for it to be a good shoot,

If you think a regular citizen can't use deadly force unless a weapon is pointed directly at them, you need to brush-up on self defense laws.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:38 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'll assume you didn't read the post I responded to: even if there was a weapon, he has to pick it up and point it at the cop for it to be a good shoot,

If you think a regular citizen can't use deadly force unless a weapon is pointed directly at them, you need to brush-up on self defense laws.
Sure, but, consider the vast majority of events the police use lethal force, then consider a normal citizen using that same level of force in that situation, and decide, would you as a normal person be able to argue and win a self defense case?

Even in this instance its highly doubtful a regular Joe or Jill could successfully argue self defense, given the footage.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Cops are supposedly trained to deal with people who don’t comply.

Hell, there was the white guy in Vegas doing everything he could to comply with an officer and he was still killed by the cop.. and the cop wasn’t charged.

You guys really need to stop defending cops who are trash. It’s not a good look.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:45 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
When we were teens - you didn't have what's going on today with everyone carrying knives and guns. Had he cop caught you - he would have driven you home in the back of a squad car and your dad would have kicked your butt - there was no need for the police to do anything because RESPONSIBILITY was taught.
Everyone isn’t carrying knives and guns.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:39 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Cops are supposedly trained to deal with people who don’t comply.

Hell, there was the white guy in Vegas doing everything he could to comply with an officer and he was still killed by the cop.. and the cop wasn’t charged.

You guys really need to stop defending cops who are trash. It’s not a good look.
Nobody is defending trash cops, trash cops need to be dealt with

What you need to do is stop defending street thug culture and uncivilized behavior. Everyone has responsibilities in this country, why is it some people think they're special and the rules don't apply to them? BLM should be telling everyone to comply with police and to raise their kids with higher standards, instead they're out trying to get rid of all cops and take apart families.

Up is down, down is up, welcome to the land of the postmodern woke

Old 08-26-2020, 08:16 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Land of the imprisoned, home of the trigger-happy police:

Do what you're told or you're next.
That's just BS. Those countries don't compare to the US. Take our black population and send them to Country A and watch those stats change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies