Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 10:27 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Yeah because they couldn't have gotten those same things at an HBCU. I hope more blacks start going back to HBCUs. Let you guys have fun with your 4.9 40's runningbacks. Ole Miss and Tulane were powerhouses before they started allowing the black athletes into those white schools. That'll be real entertaining to watch again said no one ever.
The Patriots offense on a number of their Bowl-winning teams was primarily white boys. Some of them undrafted. And they beat the h--- out of any team in front of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 10:56 AM

70 posts, read 76,428 times
Default NFL Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
So Africa has systemic racism?
Yeah that’s what doesn’t make sense about the anti-critical race theory argument(s). Africa can’t have systemic racism because there was never the kind of dichotomy that led people to the belief that there’s systemic racism here.
I’m definitely not saying I’m pro-critical race theory, but as a questioning mind, it seems that the arguments of the anti-critical race theory camp (as far as I’ve gleaned) rest on incomplete and misinterpreted truths.
It’s probably best to take the discussion to another more appropriate thread.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:23 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Some people can't even discuss TV ratings without fits of anger and personal attacks, but such is the mind of certain people.

Those of you who are less emotional over trivia:

As for me, I don't plan to miss any Dolphins games. I tune in at kick-off as I always have, since pre-game is a waste of time.
I don't care that you watch the Dolphins. That is your choice. I listened to parts of the Lions game on the radio.

I care that you repeatedly posted false information. You even posted the lie after being told it wasn't true.

Last year's opening game on Thursday night drew 21.6 million viewers. This years drew 19.3 million. There is only 1 Thursday nigh game.

Last year's 1st Sunday Night Game Drew 22.2 million viewers. This year's drew 14.6 million. There is only 1 Sunday night game.

Tom Brady's game - with arguably the most compelling storyline ever in NFL history - got the highest week 1 rating for a FOX mid Sunday game since 2016. That was still 16.4 million viewers. Which was very good, but as you can see, not great.

But across the board other than Tom Brady games saw a hit. Chicago area NFL viewership of the Bears fell by 32% from 2019's opener.

Last year the NFL had 3 games on opening week break 20 million viewers. As of right now it looks like only 1 game has a chance to be revised upwards to hit it.

Rumors are Monday night's games also saw a 10% decline. We'll see the official numbers soon.

With fewer and fewer fans in the stands due to Covid, the NFL had predicted a surge in TV ratings. Keep in mind there was nearly a million unsold tickets for the NFL this past week due to Covid. More people at home. So that is more NFL fans at home all day instead of tailgating or commuting to a game most of the day.

It is insane to think the NFL isn't concerned about this drop, especially as the biggest drop was in their key demographic 18 to 49 year old men. The NFL will move from concerned to worried if this trend continues as much of their revenue is from TV and Radio, which they make more money off of due to ratings.

Old 09-15-2020, 12:43 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The Patriots offense on a number of their Bowl-winning teams was primarily white boys. Some of them undrafted. And they beat the h--- out of any team in front of them.
So you found maybe 5-6 of them. What did their defense comprise of? What did their entire team comprise of?

Old 09-15-2020, 06:05 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
(A) For the first year ever they are counting out of home viewing in ratings. This should have boosted ratings.

(B) A Million fans weren't able to go to the games in person and instead of commuting and tailgating all day they could have watched all day and contributed to the ratings.

Both of these should have pushed up NFL ratings.

NFL ratings have been adjusted and are out again and they are down.

Percent change from 2019:

Thursday Night Kickoff Game -7.24%
CBS Sunday 1PM EST Games -11.69%
Fox Sunday 1PM EST Games +7.14
Fox Sunday 4:30PM EST Games +7.95 (Tom Brady's compelling story)
NBC Sunday Night Primetime Game -14.86%
ESPN Monday Night Football Game 1 -17.56%
ESPN Monday Night Football Game 2 -27.36%

I think CNBC said down about 7% overall. Would have been down more if it weren't for the two points above that are inflating the ratings.

It isn't because it is an election year, because 2016 didn't see this either. Cord cutting hasn't hurt cable tv ratings for the news networks. Is it possible that the NFL upset some of their fans? Fans just moved on from sports during Covid?

Old 09-16-2020, 05:09 AM

380 posts, read 125,778 times
Quote:
So you found maybe 5-6 of them. What did their defense comprise of? What did their entire team comprise of?
No, at times the Patriots offense had 9 or 10 whites.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I don't care that you watch the Dolphins. That is your choice. I listened to parts of the Lions game on the radio.

I care that you repeatedly posted false information. You even posted the lie after being told it wasn't true.

Last year's opening game on Thursday night drew 21.6 million viewers. This years drew 19.3 million. There is only 1 Thursday nigh game.

Last year's 1st Sunday Night Game Drew 22.2 million viewers. This year's drew 14.6 million. There is only 1 Sunday night game.

Tom Brady's game - with arguably the most compelling storyline ever in NFL history - got the highest week 1 rating for a FOX mid Sunday game since 2016. That was still 16.4 million viewers. Which was very good, but as you can see, not great.

But across the board other than Tom Brady games saw a hit. Chicago area NFL viewership of the Bears fell by 32% from 2019's opener.

Last year the NFL had 3 games on opening week break 20 million viewers. As of right now it looks like only 1 game has a chance to be revised upwards to hit it.

Rumors are Monday night's games also saw a 10% decline. We'll see the official numbers soon.

With fewer and fewer fans in the stands due to Covid, the NFL had predicted a surge in TV ratings. Keep in mind there was nearly a million unsold tickets for the NFL this past week due to Covid. More people at home. So that is more NFL fans at home all day instead of tailgating or commuting to a game most of the day.

It is insane to think the NFL isn't concerned about this drop, especially as the biggest drop was in their key demographic 18 to 49 year old men. The NFL will move from concerned to worried if this trend continues as much of their revenue is from TV and Radio, which they make more money off of due to ratings.
Americans watched 498.2 million hours of sports this weekend. That was the best since the Super Bowl Weekend (499.9 million hours). The biggest difference? All four major sports are playing. Prior to this month, that happened six times in history. Watching one sport means that another sport isn't being watched.

If Republicans were being honest (snort) every television show and network is seeing falling ratings due to cord cutting and all the new platforms there are out there. People who have chosen Disney+ over cable aren't going to be watching football - - but they are not going to be watching Blue Bloods, CSI, etc either. And all of those shows have lower ratings too.

Football is still king - - the numbers completely destroy every other type of televised entertainment out there. That isn't changing. Wall Street knows that too - - every minute of advertising that can be done for football games has been snatched up.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:52 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,415 times
I guess the profits are better from their controllers than they are from ticket/food sales.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:08 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
You imply white players are sub-standard athletes (don't try to say you didn't).

The 2017 Champion Patriots were arguably the funnest offense to ever play. They were teh only team I went out of my way to watch because they played the game the right way.

Hogan: undrafted
Edelman: undrafted
Amendola: 7th rounder
Gronk: best TE in NFL history
Brady: 7th rounder
Burhead: 6th rounder
I believe their entire O-line was white.
Yes there were blacks on the offense but not as integral as many of the above-listed.

Belichick could take a tuna sandwich (or any D2 or undrafted Anglo who's a hard worker) and make a champion out of them. Randy Moss, arguable the most exciting and best wideout in history? He didn't win a title with TB12 throwing to him.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:45 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
You imply white players are sub-standard athletes (don't try to say you didn't).

The 2017 Champion Patriots were arguably the funnest offense to ever play. They were teh only team I went out of my way to watch because they played the game the right way.

Hogan: undrafted
Edelman: undrafted
Amendola: 7th rounder
Gronk: best TE in NFL history
Brady: 7th rounder
Burhead: 6th rounder
I believe their entire O-line was white.
Yes there were blacks on the offense but not as integral as many of the above-listed.

Belichick could take a tuna sandwich (or any D2 or undrafted Anglo who's a hard worker) and make a champion out of them. Randy Moss, arguable the most exciting and best wideout in history? He didn't win a title with TB12 throwing to him.
No, I'm not implying anything. Look at the stats and their physical abilities. I'm straight saying that I wouldn't even play if I were the black athletes. You guys are ok with them as long as they "shut-up and entertain" you guys. However, as soon as they standup for something like racism it's a big deal. And don't bring up bringing in politics to sports. When it's something you agree with it's ok. "I love how they honored vets! Oh, that flyover was beautiful! I'm glad they are wearing pink for cancer awareness!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies