Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:24 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Doesn't matter -- if anybody thinks it is a good, wise thing for a young boy who is untrained to be used as a vigilante to try and keep law and order.....they need their freak'n head examined.

He should never have put himself in that position.
His mother should never have allowed him to put himself in that situation.

It is beyond sad.
it's indeed a sad state of affairs that our country is in, but someone has to step up to protect our communities from being turned into war zones and lit afire.

i'm all for peaceful protesting, but once you start looting and setting trash bins, cars and buildings ablaze, members of the community need to protect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 10:31 AM

23,644 posts, read 12,569,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that specific reporting, just the early reporting of the "sex with a minor" when he was 18 or 19 at the time.

He was, evidently, a piece of garbage.

That still doesn't make Rittenhouse's actions OK by default.
No it doesn't. But, it does show us the mindset of at least Rosenbaum and Huber, and both of them seem to be repeat offenders. Rosenbaum physically abused and raped young boys. Huber tried to kill his brother and grandmother, then after being released from prison he tried to kill his sister. Apparently there was another domestic assault just recently, too. Whether those things come up in court or not, I don't know. I would think the defense would at least try to get it in there.

Quote:
As I said in the post you quoted, the 2nd two shootings were pretty obviously self-defense, IMO, based on the videos I've seen. The first shooting is much less clear, IMO, that Rittenhouse was in reasonable fear for his life or great bodily harm. A jury will decide that.
Yes, the Rosenbaum shooting was less clear. The video does help and so does the witness testimony. Kyle's testimony should fill in the gaps. We don't know yet if Rosenbaum was killed by Kyle or by someone else. All of that will come out in the trial.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:48 AM

628 posts, read 209,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I like it when people don't even attempt to make a valid argument based on another person's argument, instead opting to go immediately to ad hominem attacks.

It let's you know the character of the people you are dealing with.
Passing judgment on a source's credibility is not an ad hominem attack.

It is entirely reasonable to consider the source before reading the article.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post

This appears to be a perspective too nuanced for some posters here.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:53 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,562,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post

Yes it is, in fact it is a specific type of ad hominem attack that was being attempted called "poisoning the well".

The arguments could be 100% valid, but the fallacious sophist was attempting to undercut the validity of the arguments with personal attacks without ever addressing any argument....only made worse by the fact that the sophist in this example was admittedly completely ignorant of what was actually being argued.

A fair minded person would have done one of two things.

1. Heard out the arguments and decided their merit, then either praised or attacked them on those merits.

2. Said nothing at all about it since they were choosing to remain ignorant.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:55 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why is it every time a person places themselves in a situation they shouldn't be in and could easily avoid with a weapon they shouldn't have or need they are suddenly claiming self defense?
I agree. Rosenbaum, Anthony Huber, and Gaige Krauskrutz should not claim self defense after they chased down and attacked Kyle

Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You have the right to kill an unarmed person who threatens to damage your property, that's your reasoning.

Rittenhouse was protecting his property?
Yes, he was protecting his life which is his property.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:17 AM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
As I said in the post you quoted, the 2nd two shootings were pretty obviously self-defense, IMO, based on the videos I've seen. The first shooting is much less clear, IMO, that Rittenhouse was in reasonable fear for his life or great bodily harm. A jury will decide that.
There is a witness to the first shooting who apparently supports the self defense claim.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:22 AM

11,804 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Quote:
I'm not wasting my time looking for unbiased information from Rittenhouse's defense team. Sorry, not sorry.

If that offends your delicate sensibilities, you'll just have to manage to make it through.
See that's the problem - none of you go and look before spouting your dribble and in the end it's looks like you failed debate class. It takes all of 2 minutes to research something so you don't look like a complete fool.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:37 AM

13,620 posts, read 4,940,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
Kyle was trying to avoid the situation but was attacked and chased by a violent leftist mob, and was thus forced to defend himself.

I should also add that no one has the right to trash a neighborhood and riot in the streets.
This is something Biden supporters need to grasp.
Early in the video, Kyle says "Our job is to protect this business, and part of my job is to help people..."

Who appointed Kyle to this duty? How did he get the idea that this was his "job"? He was not "trying to avoid the situation". He went there intentionally. He brought his rifle, as he says on the video, "in case I have to defend myself". So he was knowingly going into a violent situation, and anticipating using his gun even before it started.

I agree: no one has the right to trash a neighborhood. But that is a problem for the police. If we have armed vigilantes taking the law into their own hands, the result is predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies