Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2020, 01:04 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,991,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
It is simple. The New York Times lies. Many Democrats are stupid enough to believe it even after they have done it many times before.
Really? Prove that a paper that won 130 Pulitzer prizes lies. I'll wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 01:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,253,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I applaud the few right-wingers who are still here defending their cult leader when most cultists have already given up.

It must be exhausting having to constantly fight facts.

I posted the "facts" (as it were) from the NYT article:

Quote:
Each time, he requested an extension to file his 1040; and each time, he made the required payment to the I.R.S. for income taxes he might owe — $1 million for 2016 and $4.2 million for 2017. But virtually all of that liability was washed away when he eventually filed, and most of the payments were rolled forward to cover potential taxes in future years.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,567,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Trump could release the tax returns, that would remove all speculation & that's exactly what I would do if I was falsely accused...
Well that’s not going to happen and we all know it he’s hiding something like always.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Going after a mid-level civil servant is very different from going after a supposed wealthy individual. The IRS spend 7 years on the German magnate Georg Schaeffler and got pennies on the dollar. Trump was untouchable after 2016 because he is protected by the Republican swamp, so the IRS can't even think of going after him.

Once again, why is it always the liberals who have to right the ship?
as has already been noted, then the issue is the tax code.

They never found the guy guilty, in fact it sounds like they didn't even KNOW it was illegal. And so, if we don't need to dedicate resources to complex and questionable prosecution, and equally questionable tax strategies the rich dare the IRS to find fault with.

So why keep loopholes and arcane deductions that only apply to maybe 2% of taxpayers?

btw, it's interesting your article pointing out the issues describe them as essentially "test cases and vague interpretations", but you're so sure about this abandonment issue.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:31 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,940,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Really? Prove that a paper that won 130 Pulitzer prizes lies. I'll wait.
You haven't been paying attention the last 4 years. They won a Pulitzer prize for their lies on the Russia collusion hoax too you know.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:39 PM

13,239 posts, read 21,865,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the wiki quote snippet carefully chosen also didn't mention the production or distribution of the steaks. The very next paragraph ...

That "snippet" was the first two paragraphs of the Wikipedia article. I supplied the link to make it easy to read the rest, so obviously I wasn't trying to hide anything.

Of course Trump didn't produce the meat. It's absolutely laughable that's your big "GOTCHA" moment.

Here's a newsflash: Safeway is a real business and doesn't make their groceries either.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

That "snippet" was the first two paragraphs of the Wikipedia article. I supplied the link to make it easy to read the rest, so obviously I wasn't trying to hide anything.

Of course Trump didn't produce the meat. It's absolutely laughable that's your big "GOTCHA" moment.

Here's a newsflash: Safeway is a real business and doesn't make their groceries either.
you're the one that used that wiki to "gotcha" the other poster about Trump Steak, and how active his role was, whether it was just a licensed product, etc.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,027,473 times
Why are people dumb enough to focus on Trump's income tax? Don't people care about world policy? Economy? Jobs? Education? Our freedoms?

Seriously, stop focusing on stupid stuff and look at REAL ISSUES. I don't care how much taxes he paid. If it was illegal, he would be in jail as I type this! He isn't above the law believe it or not and he has the media wanting to fry him every single second of ever single day! It makes me sick and I can't stand Trump!

Old 09-29-2020, 01:45 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,459,741 times
Quote:
Going after a mid-level civil servant is very different from going after a supposed wealthy individual. The IRS spend 7 years on the German magnate Georg Schaeffler and got pennies on the dollar. Trump was untouchable after 2016 because he is protected by the Republican swamp, so the IRS can't even think of going after him.

Once again, why is it always the liberals who have to right the ship?

The principle is the same whether or not the IRS goes after the "hair-braiders" claiming EITC or multi-millionaires. When they are successful and especially when that success receives a lot of publicity, it fosters voluntary compliance in the arena it applies to.

All your article proves is what I have said. The fact they were unsuccessful with the team they set up to go after tax abuse by the wealthy is irrelevant.

That's an operational issue. But oh gee, who would've thunk you set up a seal team to combat tax abuse by the wealthy, announce it to them and their high powered attorney's rather than just surprise them all at once, and then run into a few problems lol.

They should have learned from how they successfully handled the swiss bank cases.

But, that is an entirely different issue.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:48 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,365,908 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies