Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Biden/Harris’s refusal to answer the court packing question influence your willingness to vote
It doesn’t matter, my mind is made up to vote Biden. 32 24.62%
It doesn’t matter, my mind is made up to vote Trump. 70 53.85%
It doesn’t matter, my mind is made up to vote 3rd Party. 4 3.08%
I am not firm in who I want to vote for but I absolutely can not vote Biden if he won’t answer. 15 11.54%
It could sway me to vote for Trump or a 3rd Party candidate, even though I’d prefer to vote Biden 1 0.77%
I don’t like it, but I’m not sure if ultimately it will influence my vote. 1 0.77%
I want them to pack the court so it doesn’t matter 7 5.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 05:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times

Advertisements

I think that by not answering they may make the Republicans not be as willing to do this travesty of putting someone in place last minute after having done the opposite to Obama.

If they say no, then the Republicans will put the new SC in. If they say yes, then the Republicans will simply do it as its going to happen either way. By refusing to answer they allow Biden to talk to McConnel if he wins, but before he takes office, and Biden simply says "If you treat this one like you did Garland I take my finger off the nuclear button". And biden then announces that they wont pack the courts. If McConnell refuses then they pack the court and the Republican majority they wanted is GONE. All for nothing. If McConell does another Garland, then guess what? Republicans maintain a majority in the court. And Biden gets to put someone there.

This is a pretty basic political calculation here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 05:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You do both realize that historically when the opposition party controls the Senate last year nominations tend to be blocked and when the same party controls the Senate nominations tend to be pushed through, right? It isn’t as if this is the first time this situation has arisen, nor is there any precedent being either broken or created here.

Thank you much.

Quick, whats the longest that a SC seat has had someone nominated, and then not voted on?
garlands. It was record breaking.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You do both realize that historically when the opposition party controls the Senate last year nominations tend to be blocked and when the same party controls the Senate nominations tend to be pushed through, right? It isn’t as if this is the first time this situation has arisen, nor is there any precedent being either broken or created here.

Thank you much.
Ginsburg just died.

It's a "Richard" move, and making it calls for a consequences on the back end which will also be a "Richard" move, but you are asking for it.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:06 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,728,554 times
I think Americans are more concerned about Mitch jamming a SC nominee one month before the election. What it could mean for healthcare and reproductive rights.

Or the horrid response to Covid19 210k Americans dead. Court packing is the last line item on the list.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Quick, whats the longest that a SC seat has had someone nominated, and then not voted on?
I agree they should have voted. It may have been no, but at least they should have done it.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:07 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Biden actually said “you’ll get my answer after the election.”

OMG.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:08 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
"You'll know my opinion on court packing after the election."

"The moment I answer that question, it will be the headline in all of your papers!"

What kind of answer is this? I won't answer the question because people will talk about it??? WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYs_DqLN9-s

Old 10-08-2020, 06:09 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And? That doesn’t change the fact that it’s happened before. There have been many record breakers in the last four years. The longest tantrum thrown by adults over an election that they lost, the most ridiculous “impeachment” in history, the most Democrat sanctioned violence since the Republicans freed the slaves...

What was it Obama said? Elections have consequences, wasn’t it? I was among those at the time who was trying to warn the chortling Democrats that such a mindset would come back and bite them in the *** when Republicans controlled the government again. Who could have possibly predicted that such a day would come, other than just about anybody with basic critical thinking skills?

Old 10-08-2020, 06:17 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Ginsburg just died.

It's a "Richard" move, and making it calls for a consequences on the back end which will also be a "Richard" move, but you are asking for it.
That ship sailed when Obama and the Democrats pulled their “Richard” moves - multiple times - over 8 years. Our Federal Government has devolved into the equivalent of an elementary school playground fight over the last couple of decades, and I don’t expect it to get better any time soon. There is a reason that I consistently vote third party, and that reason is because the two party system is gradually but steadily destroying any semblance of the America we are supposed to be.

Perhaps if both parties would go back to nominating decent human beings for high office we could recover, but when the two major parties are fighting over which candidate is a smarmier SOB and counting on partisans to vote against the other candidate rather than coming up with valid reasons to vote for their own we may as well just close our eyes and wait for the prison rape to end.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:18 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How much does Biden and Harris’s refusal to answer whether or not they will pack the court influence your willingness to vote for them? To me their refusal means they know it would be very unpopular but do indeed plan on doing it anyway.

Even my cousin, a die heart anti-Trumper, says if they refuse to answer he will not vote for Biden.
It doesn’t matter, I have already cast my vote for President Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies