Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 10:38 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times

Advertisements

I would never live anywhere but New England. The history, heritage, it's all around you. Beautiful beaches, winter is okay especially if you partake in outdoor activities like skiing. It's peaceful here and we don't support riots and looting. We have small towns and vast suburban areas and a few big cities like Boston.

Boston is flourishing and the only problem is that it's such a wonderful place that home prices are skyrocketing. But the entire area in that part of the state is very desirable, lots of interesting jobs, things to do, museums in Boston are amazing and their suburbs are beautiful and clean.

I'd like to visit the PNW just to experience the climate which sounds pretty good. But New England has the history and charm and character. I like the way our governors have treated this pandemic because they've gone along with what people wanted--we want to be free of this virus and we're more than willing to wear masks and to social distance. The states are opening up slowly and we are aware of the plan and how it works. We don't feel left out or confused. Our Republican and Democratic governors are doing well for us. It will always be New England for me--now people are fleeing NYC and coming to the part of CT that is near NYC. Good. They are rich and can pay taxes. CT is the third most state that people want to come to, to live near forests and rivers and ocean, and yet to be close enough to NYC that they can work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 11:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
I want to live in Arizona where I’ve been most of my life. That’s it. Nowhere else. And I don’t care how it leans politically.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:19 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
I'm very very happy in Utah... You libs stay the fug out of our conservative haven!

The mormons will bite you so stay far far far away.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:28 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
For the record, the video in this thread is made by a Prager University. It's a non profit organization that makes videos from a conservative right wing perspective, you can google it. So, there are some built in bias already against blue states.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:38 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Aside from Texas, hardly anybody wants to move to a bright Red State. For starters, who wants to move to North or South Dakota? The cost of living will always remain low in those states from lack of people moving in to jack up the prices, due to the law of supply and demand.
There is more to life that real estate values. The Dakotas are beautiful and what is great the populations are low. They give very little welfare benefits so the dregs of society choose other habitats.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:40 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times
Retired from the state that elected Reagan as governor to bright red Idaho. I'll never leave.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:43 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,358,943 times
Fact: Tens of thousands of Californians have moved to Arizona since the 2016 election.

If Democratic policies were so amazing in California, why would all these people feel the need to move to Arizona which has extreme heat compared to where they came from?

Old 10-11-2020, 12:34 AM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Quote:
Where do you want to live:Red vs Blue
Honestly though that would not be my main criteria in deciding about moving to a place.
I can co-exist with Liberals or Conservatives. I would consider things like Air Quality, Cost of Living, weather,
Amenities, Crime stats, etc much more important.
Until recently, we haven't even been that divided...no one cared if someone was a Democrat or a Republican.
We are all Americans, for heaven's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Really it's blue cities and red rural areas. I prefer living in cities.
It does sort of seem to slant that way, in my opinion.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:48 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,485,476 times
I'd considered retiring to a cheap to live in red state, but this year has been a real eye opener into just how backward some of them are.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:33 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
The video was disengenuous.
People in 2020 scare moving to flee the virus. Since so many jobs can be done remotely now, they're taking their job with them when the leave. Some will go back to their blue cities after the virus lifts, some won't.

Corporations move to red states that give them walloping big tax breaks because job increases are promised. Works out great for the corporation, but not always for the state, as when one goes bankrupt or gets a even better deal from another state, they leave, and the state is stuck with high unemployment and a big mess that never paid for itself as promised.

Big corporations always start a big job rush to a state. The city suddenly has to build new schools, pave new streets, lay new sewer and power lines, build lots of new homes, hire more cops, firemen and EMTs, and all of that costs money.
So the taxes always have to go up , but the big company never pays them.

Not all of the red states are gaining population at the expense of the blue states, and not all the cities in either red or blue states are having big financial or social problems.

The video totally ignores all the states red or blue that are growing slowly and steadily or are losing population slowly.
the video is mixing the virus and the other singular events of 2020 into other conditions that have been happening for a very long time.

Mr. Professor was over-generalizing, adding 2 and 2 to come up with 5, and ignoring any facts that didn't fit.

Here's a big one he ignored: Unrestricted capitalism becomes rapacious. Regulated capitalism makes for more steady growth. Slow but steady growth is the best way a state can grow.

Right now, there are 5 Americans who possess more wealth between them than 125 million of our poorest Americans. That's the end result of unregulated capitalism.

I'm still living in the red state that's always been my home, and right now it's one of the hottest targets as a place to move to. The jobs simply aren't here for them all, but it seems to make no difference, as they're coming anyway.

I've owned my present home for 16 years. It's doubled in taxes, but increased twice as much in value. But if I was to sell it to buy a newly built home, the new one would cost 3 times as much as I paid for it.

There's a home across the street from mine that's the same size as mine. It was for sale when I bought this one, but it never sold, so the owner converted it to 2 apartments, and then had a lot of problems with the sewer and water lines, renters moving in and out constantly, a roof replacement, etc.
So he fixed all the worst stuff and put it up for sale again this fall. It was up for sale for about 3 weeks and is sold now.

Whoever bought it has to know all that rental separation inside will cost money to reverse, but since so few houses are available here, I guess someone needed it so badly they took it. A house down the block in better shape sold in 7 days flat a month ago.

16 years ago, my county had about 60,000 people in it. It's now around 110,000, and expected to go to 200,000 in about 5 years if the growth rate remains as it is now. Newcomers marvel at how un-congested we are. We old natives remember when that was actually true. Back then, everyone in town had a job, too.

Last edited by banjomike; 10-11-2020 at 01:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies