Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 09:48 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWL1_5lL-U

Here are some metro areas people are moving to from California, a mix of red and blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 09:51 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yes, but of those, the only one not impacted by politics is the weather. Politics impacts job growth (or more accurately, bad policies hurt job growth).
At a certain point politics is starting to morph into freedom of political choice. In certain states right now republican's are locked out of having a say.... (and lets me frank the liberals are probably cheating) so it is a much bigger issue than "politics" where you have taxation without representation.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Seems to me, those 50 and over are more likely to relocate to states with overall lower taxes and/ or better weather, if they relocate. Many are snow birds who park for 6 months and a day. Many rent, seasonly.

The massive Over 55 communities are flourishing in the south and west. Some trend ghost towns over the summer. Access to top notch healthcare is important.

Many older people follow their adult children, to wherever. While anecdotal, I know many 50-60 somethings who have relocated to California and the greater Denver and Austin areas. It has nothing to do with politics.

Regardless of where, 80% of the population live in metro areas.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:53 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,668,708 times
The amount of people -still- moving from blue NY/NJ to my red state of NC speaks for itself.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:53 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
At a certain point politics is starting to morph into freedom of political choice. In certain states right now republican's are locked out of having a say.... (and lets me frank the liberals are probably cheating) so it is a much bigger issue than "politics" where you have taxation without representation.
But that goes both ways, because Democrat are locked out as well in some states.

Last edited by ipaper; 10-11-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-11-2020, 09:56 AM

25,778 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
The amount of people -still- moving from blue NY/NJ to my red state of NC speaks for itself.
Thanks for taking some of them off our hands say us Floridians!

Old 10-11-2020, 09:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Cheating?

Could not possibly be that there are more Independents than Republicans or Democrats and voting straight ticket is increasingly at risk.

Could not possibly be more people don’t vote than vote Democrat or Republican.

Nah, has to be cheating.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:17 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
Red areas generally lack public transportation. I could bike and walk in a small town, but I would occasionally need some type of ride to other towns.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:49 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
I'd considered retiring to a cheap to live in red state, but this year has been a real eye opener into just how backward some of them are.
Do tell.

Old 10-11-2020, 11:26 AM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
U.S. Population Growth Rate State Rank

The top states for growth are:

Nevada
Utah
Arizona
Texas
Idaho
Florida
North Carolina
Georgia
Colorado
South Carolina

Looks like the facts don't really agree with you.

The lowest growth states are:
Illinois
New York
Louisiana
Vermont
West Virginia
Ohio
Rhode Island
Michigan

Seems like actual data indicates that people are rather desperately trying to escape liberal states for more "red" ones.
Of the fastest growing states, Nevada, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, and Colorado are swing states.
Of the slowest growing states, West Virginia is one of the reddest states in the country. Louisiana is a red state. Ohio is a swing State, and Michigan has become a swing state.

So the correlation between growth and political affiliation don't match as strongly as you're suggesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies