Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 05:57 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think good roads has more to do with how affluent an area is than how people vote. (And, also, how competent a state's Department of Transportation is.)
Re the bolded....California, for example, over the past 10 years, spent 3-5 times as much to build repair a mile of road than the national average. The reasons are many: unions/mismanagement/theft of $$, whack-job environmentalists being a few, but it seems typical of blue states....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 06:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Pure delusion. Anyone who has traveled this country can clearly see the wide difference between blue states such as Mass and California vs impoverished red states such as those all over the south.

The data is clear as well. Red states, particularly those in the south, which pursue so-called 'pro-growth' policies continue to lack in all areas, including poverty, health outcomes, mortality and morbidity, social and economic mobility, and so on.

The blue states pay the bill for red states and rural areas all over this country, yet you wish to bite the hand that feeds you.

http://measureofamerica.org/maps/?county^age_pyramid_total^all_all^Demographics^dem ographics
I think life is how you make it, not the state where you live. The points raised above have to do with the culture of Red States. The people there tend to look down upon poor and lazy people, due to their failure to fully carry their own weight, and don't think they are worthy of help from the government. People shouldn't end up being dependent on the government for anything, such as for health care. It explains why expanded Medicaid was rejected in many Red States. As a result, such unfortunate people get left behind in the dust, and drag down every red state's quality of life statistics. It also helps explain what is behind the Republican takeover in Red States. The Democrats stand for government welfare and more of it.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:15 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
The video speaker is the chief economist of the Heritage Foundation and a co-founder of the Club for Growth so not exactly unbiased. He makes the obvious mistake by assuming that a state is all one thing or all another. Most people are smart enough to know otherwise. He picks and spins his own facts. Labeling a state simply by the political party in control is silly. I left what he considers a red state and now happily live in what he thinks is a blue state. Once away, you can look at your former state a little clearer. Looking back, my former state is the poster child for hair brained legislative proposals and racial bigotry. It seems to have lost the capacity for self government. It is attracting right-wing extremists from other states when it clearly has enough of its own.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:21 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Depends upon the state and the community. I wouldn't live in a Blue State City on a bet, but many blue state rural areas are just fine.

I love Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and South Dakota. I have never been to North Dakota. I wouldn't live in Illinois on a bet. I liked Florida but that was back in the 80's. I liked North Carolina and the people. Maryland isn't bad if you are in the western half.

It all depends on the state or the community. I can't think of any city I would live in by choice. Certainly none that are sanctuary cities or that support racist orgs like BLM or Antifa.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:26 PM

524 posts, read 247,252 times
It’s a tough call because whilst I’ve only ever lived in the “blue“ states of NY and CT, anyone who labels them
as inherently blue is unfamiliar with the pockets of very vocal “red“ in both states. From example, Staten Island and the eastern half of Long Island encompass over 2 million lately conservative votes in the metro area. Moving to the New Haven suburbs, whilst it is simple majority blue, the 42-ish % of red leaning folks are not a bit shy about flying Trump flags on pickup trucks. Whatevs, it’s all good, so long as mutual respect is the order of business.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:26 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Re the bolded....California, for example, over the past 10 years, spent 3-5 times as much to build repair a mile of road than the national average. The reasons are many: unions/mismanagement/theft of $$, whack-job environmentalists being a few, but it seems typical of blue states....
The Blue state I lived in was notorious for bad roads and forever projects that never seemed to get finished.

When I lived in Florida I watched them do 25 miles of 8 lane highway in 45 days. Start to finish only working at night.

In PA I have seen 25 miles of highway take over a year to complete and it looked as cratered as the moon within months. New Jersey has some nice roads. New York's are about like PA's. You need a humvee to drive on the interstate.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:34 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think life is how you make it, not the state where you live. The points raised above have to do with the culture of Red States. The people there tend to look down upon poor and lazy people, due to their failure to fully carry their own weight, and don't think they are worthy of help from the government. People shouldn't end up being dependent on the government for anything, such as for health care. It explains why expanded Medicaid was rejected in many Red States. As a result, such unfortunate people get left behind in the dust, and drag down every red state's quality of life statistics. It also helps explain what is behind the Republican takeover in Red States. The Democrats stand for government welfare and more of it.
Lots of Democrats and Liberals live in red states, and lots of Republicans and conservatives live in blue states. And in some cases, the margin between red and blue is pretty small. I'm a life long Democrat from a traditional red state in the deep south, but we have lots of blue areas and counties, I'm not moving. Due to my military service, I've had the opportunity to live in red and blue states, it's all America, one America.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:37 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Lots of Democrats and Liberals live in red states, and lots of Republicans and conservatives live in blue states.
True. California is solid dark blue. Yet, approx 30% of the state is conservative. Not enough to ever have a say again, but think about it....30% x 40 million = 12 million......

12 million.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:49 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
True. California is solid dark blue. Yet, approx 30% of the state is conservative. Not enough to ever have a say again, but think about it....30% x 40 million = 12 million......

12 million.
That's a lot of people.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:01 PM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

That isn't really true.I am a democrat nowadays and it doesn't mean that I support deadbeats who don't pay taxes and mooch off of the Government and the rest of us who do pay taxes for everything they have.
I don't care if he is the President!( But by the way, he is a Conservative(even if in name only).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies