Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 08:04 PM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Lots of Democrats and Liberals live in red states, and lots of Republicans and conservatives live in blue states. And in some cases, the margin between red and blue is pretty small. I'm a life long Democrat from a traditional red state in the deep south, but we have lots of blue areas and counties, I'm not moving. Due to my military service, I've had the opportunity to live in red and blue states, it's all America, one America.

Yes. The United States of America.
Whether some people like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 09:27 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
U.S. Population Growth Rate State Rank

The top states for growth are:

Nevada
Utah
Arizona
Texas
Idaho
Florida
North Carolina
Georgia
Colorado
South Carolina

Looks like the facts don't really agree with you.

The lowest growth states are:
Illinois
New York
Louisiana
Vermont
West Virginia
Ohio
Rhode Island
Michigan

Seems like actual data indicates that people are rather desperately trying to escape liberal states for more "red" ones.
This is population growth; not economic growth.

Old 10-11-2020, 10:51 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Simple.

Very

Simple

Old 10-12-2020, 05:49 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Yes where those on the coast can force their values on those in the middle and south. Or if you prefer; those in the cities can force their values on those in country.
Not anymore, but It used to be about individualism and freedom. Now we're told who associate with, what's acceptable to say, who to trade with...
The US needs a peaceable breakup or very dark times are ahead.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:52 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I moved from Colorado which is turning more and more blue to a rural community in a swing state, and I am SO happy I left.
When I am able I will leave CO for WY or SD. The Front Range is killing this state.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:58 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Economist Stephen Moore makes some interesting observations. The proof is in the pudding... or rather the facts. Red states are flourishing, Blue states are falling into despair. California's homeless population gets worse year by year.

The state I live in is blue, in leadership. The cities are blue, but outside of them it's all red. I am lucky because the state is doing well, and for the most part, the Democratic leadership is fairly centered, our governor get's much hate, but she really isn't that bad.
As far as where I live, we recently moved 40 miles away from the Detroit metro area into a semi rural red zone and couldn't be happier.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Economist Stephen Moore makes some interesting observations. The proof is in the pudding... or rather the facts. Red states are flourishing, Blue states are falling into despair. California's homeless population gets worse year by year.
Blue metro areas generate 85% of US economic output, so how exactly are blue areas falling into despair?

People live in cities, which are blue, because that is where the jobs are. It is as simple as that.

Its funny how the commentator uses Florida as an example of a red State, when its purple. Also, the people moving to Texas are moving to the blue areas in Texas where the jobs are: Dallas, Houston and Austin

Old 10-12-2020, 06:14 AM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think good roads has more to do with how affluent an area is than how people vote. (And, also, how competent a state's Department of Transportation is.)
When I visited Tennessee, I was so impressed with the condition of the roads! Nicely paved, marked, no trash or graffiti, even on the back roads. It was wonderful compared to VT although this COVID summer I have seen lots of road improvement projects here. I was told that the state gov't there made it a law that gas tax $$ is earmarked solely for roads and transportation related projects. I think a lot of states grab that $$ for other things when they need it.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The Blue state I lived in was notorious for bad roads and forever projects that never seemed to get finished.

When I lived in Florida I watched them do 25 miles of 8 lane highway in 45 days. Start to finish only working at night.
I watched then spend 5 years on 13 mile I-595 project, which cost $1.8 billion. It all depends on where its being built and what it includes.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:30 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Aside from Texas, hardly anybody wants to move to a bright Red State. For starters, who wants to move to North or South Dakota? The cost of living will always remain low in those states from lack of people moving in to jack up the prices, due to the law of supply and demand.
seems a lot of folks do. (I know we are)

https://kikn.com/south-dakota-ranks-...tate-for-2020/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies