Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 07:51 AM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times

Advertisements

I prefer to live in Red areas where like-minded people live. I don't care what race they are.

I used to live in, & visit, Blue places, but many have been ruined by liberal politics, so no more.

I don't judge by state, I judge by city, county, area. For instance...

I won't live in NYC again, but I was once happy living in the Hamptons

I won't live in LA, Oakland, or SanFran, but I'd live in Carmel, or Mendocino

I won't live in Boca Raton Florida again, but I live in Southern Sarasota County now

I can't see myself living anywhere it snows ever again...Red, or Blue.

Selecting a place to live, Red or Blue, by State, is painting with too broad a brush IMHO.

Overall, the migration is away from the North & into the South, and away from California...when you take immigrants out of the counts.

Overall, the migration is out of big cities, (when you take immigrants out of the picture) & into the suburbs.

There are many factors....cost of living, quality of life, weather, political climate, crime, education, jobs, ect..

Very few people choose to live where they do, based solely upon Red or Blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 07:53 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Aside from Texas, hardly anybody wants to move to a bright Red State. For starters, who wants to move to North or South Dakota? The cost of living will always remain low in those states from lack of people moving in to jack up the prices, due to the law of supply and demand.
It’s pretty telling where many people choose to retire. I hear far more frequently people choosing to retire to red states than to blue states.

That aside, there are things that I like about both. But really, I just want to live somewhere warm and with a lot of people and an extensive culinary scene. This has often correlated to blue cities (I’m currently trying to get back to Honolulu, for instance) but if I could have all of that and a red city I would in a heartbeat.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:55 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,200,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Two thirds of the nation's economic activity takes place in blue areas. Or at least that was the case in 2016.

Two thirds.

Naturally, areas with the most economic activity tend to attract people looking for decent jobs. This tends to increase traffic and drive up the price of housing.

These areas also tend to have soup kitchens, homeless shelters, mental health services, minimum wage jobs, ... Hence the attraction for the less fortunate.
Then why are the getting the hell out of these blue cities..let me think because they over taxed, just basic rights to go to church are being stopped because of covid, crime is way up in blue cities, homelessness , so yeah I wouldn’t live in a blue city for anything

Old 10-11-2020, 07:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Really it's blue cities and red rural areas. I prefer living in cities.

Enjoy watching them all getting trashed.

I'll enjoy my acreage, thanks.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:03 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Young people go were there are jobs and night life
Middle-aged- where thee are jobs and good schools and affordable homes.
Old people go where there are no taxes and warmth.
I never for the life of me understand why old snow tops come to Florida knowing its full of Latinos and all types of folks from all over the world if they are going to be unhappy. stupid - but I have witnessed it over and over.
However, I have several FB expat groups in Mexico- and they do the same crap there... try to change the environment to some north cold-hearted state. Guess that is what is bred there. I was raised my school years in PA/NJ and will never - ever return. BRRR its not about about politics, but mind sets.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:06 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Pure delusion. Anyone who has traveled this country can clearly see the wide difference between blue states such as Mass and California vs impoverished red states such as those all over the south.

The data is clear as well. Red states, particularly those in the south, which pursue so-called 'pro-growth' policies continue to lack in all areas, including poverty, health outcomes, mortality and morbidity, social and economic mobility, and so on.

The blue states pay the bill for red states and rural areas all over this country, yet you wish to bite the hand that feeds you.

http://measureofamerica.org/maps/?county^age_pyramid_total^all_all^Demographics^dem ographics
The issues you state have more to do with long-entrenched culture more than they do current politics.
I'm from the south and I can assure the pro-growth mentality is working but it's a long uphill road.

I personally prefer purple. Gridlock. Where no one side gets their way too often.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:10 AM

25,780 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Then why are the getting the hell out of these blue cities..let me think because they over taxed, just basic rights to go to church are being stopped because of covid, crime is way up in blue cities, homelessness , so yeah I wouldn’t live in a blue city for anything
Not ALL Blue cities are crapholes (yet), and not all Red cities are wonderful (yet).

However, general speaking, the largest Blue cities are being destroyed by Liberal politics, and the largest Red cities are holding their own...generally speaking. There are no absolutes however, and the Libs will jump all over the outliers in a weak attempt to deflect from the overwhelming trends.

Seeing the following cities that were destroyed, & are actively being destroyed today by Liberals, is so disppointing:

Detroit
Cleveland
Seattle
Baltimore
NYC
Portland
LA
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Minneapolis
Chicago
St. Louis
DC

This article says wealthy liberals are to blame for it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/o...ing-nimby.html

Last edited by beach43ofus; 10-11-2020 at 08:36 AM..

Old 10-11-2020, 08:15 AM

9,519 posts, read 4,350,741 times
Red. Can't wait to get out my Blue state in a few years when I retire. To be fair, and has already been posted, most of the left wing craziness does seem to be concentrated in big cities.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:17 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
I prefer to live where I can be left alone and decide for myself what to buy and/or who to buy it from. Neither red or blue team respects that concept.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:23 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Blue cities that are in red states do better than blue cities in blue states because they are kept in check by the state assembly. That’s how many of the blue cities in the past were able to be successful but as usual the Left got greedy and many wanted the entire state to go blue as well and this had very bad consequences for them.

Perfect example is NYC and NYS. For the longest time, while NYC was Democrat, Upstate New York was moderate or conservative enough legislative wise that many of the hare brain liberal schemes coming from NYC were kept from taking place. NYS saved NYC from itself for many years.

In 2018, the Democrats won the New York State Assembly and that was when things started to slide downwards for NYC. They decriminalized the criminal and justice systems. Passed the no bail reform, let out career criminals and basically turn the justice system into a joke where even if you commit a serious crime, you would be let out right away and even be given taxpayer subsidized freebies like Mets tickets, cellphones, Metrocards, etc. to get you to appear on your court date.

Everything unravel from there, from the police not even bothering to arrest people because they know it would be pointless to criminals knowing this and become brazen and emboldened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies