Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Lowering Medicare Eligibility to Age 60
Biden Voter and I Support It 39 40.21%
Biden Voter and I Don't Support It 11 11.34%
Trump Voter and I Support It 13 13.40%
Trump Voter and I Don't Support It 34 35.05%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 07:21 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No.

I would support lowering it to age 62, but only for those receiving Social Security Retirement benefits.

I would also support changing the age of eligibility to the age at which one begins receiving Social Security Retirement benefits.

That means if you retired and enrolled in Social Security at age 64 your Medicare would start then, and not at age 65.

You started out so well with an issue that could be discussed civilly and then you had to ruin it by throwing in a deceptive non-sequitur.

Deficits have nothing to do with Medicare.

What matters to voters is Truth, for which your claims are false and so are those of the Liberal Urban Institute and the Göbbeling WAPO.

Let us speak Truth to stomp out the lies and deceit.

First, you all are wrong:

All citizens 65years of age or older with credit for at least 40 quarters of employment are fully covered for life under Social Security. They are entitled to Part A at no cost. Senior citizens without sufficient quarters of coverage can purchase Part A for premiums based on the actuarial value of benefits.

That's your government talking.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/210/200562.pdf

That's one lie debunked.

Both Social Security and Medicare operate on the same mathematical revenue principal:

Revenues = # of Workers x Wages x FICA/HI Tax

Each program has operated exactly the same since the first day of its inception.

In the case of Medicare, the HI (Medicare Part A) tax is placed into escrow by the employer during a given month.

CMS uses those revenues to pay benefits in the following month.

When there is a surplus of revenues after payment, the surplus is transferred to the General Fund.

The Treasury Department issues a non-marketable treasury security in lieu of the actual cash which is, and always has been, required by law to be transferred to the General Fund.

That's right. No political party stole it. You cannot steal something that is transferred to you as a matter of law.

Those non-marketable securities in the HI (Medicare Part A) Trust Fund accrue interest at varying rates up to 13.3% per annum.

Now does everyone see where WAPO and the Urban Institute lied?

First, they lied by not admitting that the employer paid $122,000 on their behalf.

That's means they paid $244,000, not $122,000.

$122,000 in life-time HI taxes. Assume they start work at age 25 and both retire and receive Medicare at age 65. That is 40 years.

Their HI taxes would be $3,050 per year for 40 years and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and set the interest of the non-marketable security at 5.0% ends up being $368,439.

Of course, if we add in what their employer contributed on their behalf then it ends up being $736,878.

So, why did WAPO or the Urban Institute tell the Truth?

They both have an agenda.

Also, the HI tax only covers Medicare Part A and that only covers hospitalization.

Medicare Part B is deducted from your Social Security Disability/Retirement check every month.

That cover's doctor care.

Medicare Part C, also paid by the beneficiary, supplements Medicare Part A & B.

Medicare Part D, also paid by the beneficiary, provides prescription drug coverage.

While the HI (Part A) Trust Fund is in danger of collapsing soon, and even sooner if Joe Hiden pushes a $15/hour minimum wage, Parts B, C and D are the SMI Trust Funds and they're quite healthy.
I'm reading through this thread wondering if anyone was going to spot where the OP and their awful sources of information were so grossly off in their "calculations" and #Boom.....Mircea doesn't disappoint.

I'd also question if the 368k in benefits is for couples that made it to retirement age or reflects something else but it's not clearly described as to how they are accounting for the people that paid in for 35 years and then died before ever collecting.

Never trust a hungry dog near your sandwich.
Never trust a politician.
Never trust a journalist using numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 07:23 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,195,804 times
No

Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
Biden might not be for Medicare for All but President Kamala...I mean VP Kamala is....

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/29/74605...ivate-insurers

Old 10-14-2020, 04:17 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,210,275 times
54% agree with the idea. Bipartisan at that.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:14 PM

25,954 posts, read 22,102,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I had to take it at 65 and pay 140$ a month for part b or be fined 10% for life for each year I did not accept medicare.Thanks for nothing and leave the 60 year olds alone.Medicare is not free.69 and still never used it but still pay every month.
Yes, I think some of these people think it is like Medicaid, which it certainly isn't. Part A is hospital only with deductibles and co-pays. Part B is the $140 a month with co-pays and deductibles for things like doctors and tests. Then, you have Part D which is for prescription medications, and that has limitations also. And I don't know how many other parts there are anymore as it seems they keep adding more which adds to the expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I support lowering it to age 55 at least. We could consider other age options.

Part A is paid out of Social Security commencing at 65, anyone who joins before qualifying would have to pay for Part A until their 65th birthday, but that is viable.

Adding younger people to the pool would definitely strengthen the program. Making preventive care more accessible would definitely bring down the overall costs across the country by helping reduce emergency room visits.

I don't see why not.
Cost. And, frankly, once they see the cost and benefits, many of those younger people, unless they have high need would probably not be interested anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'll be 59 next year and that would be a major factor allowing me to retire at age 60, so go for it. It won't bother me that younger workers will see their taxes spike to provide for this, since, as I said, I'll be retired. Bring it on kiddos, put Biden in office to raise your taxes to pay for my health care! Best of all, no Obamacare penalty while I spend my time on the beach.
I don't think the younger workers realize the costs involved. Oh, wait, they are going to tax all the wealthy individuals and corporations to pay for all the promised goodies, but that will only last until those individuals and companies can find a more friendly country to live and do their business in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The fact that entitlement expansion is even under discussion shows how childish and unserious our politics are now.
That, for some reason, is very appealing to the younger voters that they are trying to court at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Stealing other people's money to pay for someone else.

No.

I don't care who proposed it.

I don't like public schools.
I don't like government welfare.
I don't like federal income tax.
I don't like Medicare or Medicaid.
I don't like Social Security.
I don't like "free breakfast and lunch" in schools.
I don't like business bail outs. Let them fail, allow others to rise.

The federal government should not be this large.
State governments shouldn't be stealing from one to give to another, either.

All of those people who claim that they "care" about the poor, can open their wallets, donate to charity organizations, and feel good about themselves.

The left likes to state that the majority of people in this country are "not Republicans".
The left likes to state that only they care about the poor.
The left likes to state that they are far more wealthy and educated than Republicans.
The left likes to state that the right is "the most poor".

Then the left can shut the hell up, open up their wallets, and donate to charity organizations. Less talk about what they "care" about, and more actions to prove that they care by using their own money!
The above post was just too good not to repeat again in the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If they lower it, lot of people will retire at 60, but will probably not consume much of the benefits because 60 yr olds are still at a healthy age. So, money-wise the impact would be minimal.

For many people the Medicare benefits are the only reason to not retire early. I say let them retire, and open up those job positions for the younger people.
Yeah, 60 yrs olds are more healthy than 65 year olds? Where do you even get that idea? It really depends on their genes and their lifestyle. Many 65 year olds are healthier than 30 year olds anymore. There are jobs, and the retired people are re-entering the job market because they are needed for their work ethic. Younger people are supporting Biden for the free monthly check provided by the wealthy corporations and individuals in the country, they aren't looking for work! Lots of jobs, just too many people think they are too good to work and think someone else should support their lazy behinds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Biden might not be for Medicare for All but President Kamala...I mean VP Kamala is....

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/29/74605...ivate-insurers
Does Biden know what he supports? Yeah, luckily, it doesn't matter as he'll be removed if he doesn't step down and President Kamala will be calling the shots from the WH. What a horrible thought!

"Role for private insurers"? That probably means private insurers were generous with their contributions to her failed campaign, and her present hopeless bid for VP.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Yes, I think some of these people think it is like Medicaid, which it certainly isn't. Part A is hospital only with deductibles and co-pays. Part B is the $140 a month with co-pays and deductibles for things like doctors and tests. Then, you have Part D which is for prescription medications, and that has limitations also. And I don't know how many other parts there are anymore as it seems they keep adding more which adds to the expense.

Cost. And, frankly, once they see the cost and benefits, many of those younger people, unless they have high need would probably not be interested anyway.

I don't think the younger workers realize the costs involved. Oh, wait, they are going to tax all the wealthy individuals and corporations to pay for all the promised goodies, but that will only last until those individuals and companies can find a more friendly country to live and do their business in.

That, for some reason, is very appealing to the younger voters that they are trying to court at this time.

The above post was just too good not to repeat again in the forum!

Yeah, 60 yrs olds are more healthy than 65 year olds? Where do you even get that idea? It really depends on their genes and their lifestyle. Many 65 year olds are healthier than 30 year olds anymore. There are jobs, and the retired people are re-entering the job market because they are needed for their work ethic. Younger people are supporting Biden for the free monthly check provided by the wealthy corporations and individuals in the country, they aren't looking for work! Lots of jobs, just too many people think they are too good to work and think someone else should support their lazy behinds!

Does Biden know what he supports? Yeah, luckily, it doesn't matter as he'll be removed if he doesn't step down and President Kamala will be calling the shots from the WH. What a horrible thought!

"Role for private insurers"? That probably means private insurers were generous with their contributions to her failed campaign, and her present hopeless bid for VP.

I predict he won't last 3 months before they have Biden declared "unfit" and Kamala takes her greedy hands on the bible to be sworn in......or...Biden will be snuffed out by the DNC.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
I am an Independent and do not support either candidate.

As for lowering the age for Medicare eligibility, how will it be paid for?

Part A - Hospitalization is funded by payroll taxes.

Part B - Medical ( doctors, tests , treatments) is primarily funded out of general revenues

Part D- Medications are plans issued by private insurers paid for with enrollee premiums and a subsidy out of general revenues.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:47 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Think we have it ok at 65. I don’t use it - but unless disabled that is a good age.
"I don't use it"

What on earth does that mean? You are not 65? You did not contribute through taxes? You are still employed after 65 and thus have private insurance?

I personally, despite being a physician, need to have private commercial insurance (not medicare), as I have cancer. At the premier institutions in the US, you go to the bottom of the list for treatment if you have medicare. Thus, I will always have to work to maintain a good Blue Cross policy.

The elimination of pre-existing conditions with Obamacare is pure BS. They told me I would have to liquidate everything I have and get rid of it, so that I would qualify for MEDICAID through Obamacare and thus get coverage! What a bunch of crap.

Make no mistake of it. If there was "medicare for all", there would still be a two tiered medical system in the US. The premium care would still be delivered to those who can pay for it, and that does not mean medicare.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Too many seem to perceive Medicare is somehow free.

They don’t seem to grasp the premium, copays, deductible and Medicare only covers 80% of medical costs. It’s common for those enrolled in traditional Medicare to enroll in a private Medigap Plan to help pay for that which Medicare does not.

No medical practice is required to accept Medicare patients. While most do, most limit the number of Medicare patients. One is more likely to be seen by a physicians assistant or nurse practitioner than an MD and this increasingly includes specialities. This may or may not be a concern to the patient.

It can be challenging in some areas to find a practice accepting new Medicare patients. Some practice Concierge Medicine whereby the patient pays an annual fee upfront and out of pocket to be accepted as a patient.

Imagine lowering the eligibility age by 5 years will put a strain on practices in many areas of the US. There are some 44 million enrollees today. This is expected to grow to 79 million in 9 years. Gen X is right behind, followed by the millennial generation in 25 years.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:30 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Yeah, 60 yrs olds are more healthy than 65 year olds? Where do you even get that idea? It really depends on their genes and their lifestyle. Many 65 year olds are healthier than 30 year olds anymore.

Take large groups and age is the largest risk. This is why HC insurance premiums go up with age. You can bet the insurers know their numbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies