Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 01:27 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
and just wait until you hear WHY the 18 yr old felt the need to call 911 on Floyd!!!

https://slate.com/human-interest/202...=pocket-newtab

The article is basically asking how much blame the store should bear for what happened.
The perfectly reasonable and sensible reason why they called law enforcement has been known since day one.

The shop bears no blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 04:13 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,445,464 times
When I take a panoramic look at this situation. Black immigrants such as afro latinos, afro Caribbeans, Africans and other blacks like Haitians and guyanese people don't have the same historical issues as your typical rank and file red black green pro black back to Africa African Americans when it comes to America. Plenty of black immigrants and immigrants in general are academically not aware about the dynamics between blacks in America and the police.

2. The business is Palestinian. Like many immigrants and ethnic businesses. Such businesses dont play with loosing money especially since that money supposed to go back to the ethnic group community and bounce around. Jews for example a dollar bounces around for a few days, same for Arabs, Africans, Indians, Mexicans, Chinese, Koreans and so forth. American balcks their dollar only bounces around for an hour and ends up back in the hands of the white man or other ethnic groups. With that said a fake 20 dollar bill will raise alarms in a Palestinian owned establishment.

What can we learn from this? If you are one do these white liberals, black academics and black thought leaders. Your job is to educate immigrants especially black immigrants and Arabs not to call the cops on black Americans and educate immigrants on black brown and native American racsim.

This is not the first time that a black calls a cop on another black and gets them killed. Tamir rice, the little kid playing with a toy gun. Who called the cops on him? That incident happened in a black community. It wasn't a white woman and white woman's tears that got Tamir rice killed. The media is very smart and does not want to pin the blame on a black woman and is hiding the truth.

Last. Their is two sides or three sides of the story of George Floyd. Malik the store clerk did nothing wrong, however he was ill-equipped to know about the history between balcks and police in America.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:16 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Why isn't the article asking how much blame George Floyd should bear? Oh, that's right, because it's from Slate.
That's correct. Don't be a career criminal, don't be high as a kite, don't use counterfit money. Then you won't have to deal with the police in the first place!

Why is it, that this is the first thing that I thought of, but it was never mentioned by the media?

Old 10-13-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Fascinating article.

For those too lazy to read the article, here's the Cliffs notes of the main points from the article (yes, many are aware of the general story of what happened, but not until this article did we know more exact details about the clerk who called 9-1-1 and the circumstances surrounding it, these are newer information):

- The clerk who made the first 9-1-1 call from the store was a young Black male, who was a U.S. citizen but spent much time living abroad so English was like a second language to him (and not particularly aware of the 'dynamics' between Black Americans and the police).

- The reason why this clerk called 9-1-1 was because when another clerk tested the bill Floyd gave her, it tested counterfeit so she went outside to ask for the items back from Floyd. Floyd cursed her and made a fuss, so the clerk rightfully told the young man to call 9-1-1 (the clerk also thought Floyd was drunk).

- The store for many years had problems with gangs and drug activity around the premises. It came to the point the store would be in trouble if they did not call 9-1-1 to report illegal activity (the store owner alleges there was actually a quota system from the police department in effect, where they had to make a certain number of 9-1-1 calls per certain time period). The clerk asking another to call 9-1-1 is probably a direct result of that.

- The rest of the story is the usual fluff about tensions over those who didn't want the store to open and blamed the store for what happened, to those who have a more open minded view.

To me this is yet another example of how George Floyd is hardly the innocent angel BLM and their ilk are making him out to be. Again, I'm not saying he deserved to die the way he did but (or the appearance of how he died), but many who view him as an 'innocent' victim are basing their opinions solely on the eight minutes plus footage of the cop with his knee on Floyd's neck area.

The store and the clerk who called 9-1-1 did absolutely nothing wrong based on what happened, a belligerent and apparently intoxicated George Floyd knowingly passing a counterfeit bill and refusing to return the items when asked.

On a side note, as one of the comments in the article touches upon, there seems to be a pattern with these types of stores in inner cities and low income areas. If you are non-Black and own these stores, there's a pretty good chance you will be blamed for many of the ills in that area. Whether it's the Korean immigrants in South L.A. or Arabs in the midwest, there may come a point you will be demonized as being insensitive to the 'needs' of the community and activists will complain that Blacks need to support only other Black owned businesses. Certainly some of these immigrants are not always blameless in their attitudes and demeanor towards the local community, but that doesn't mean they all are. I realize the financial startup costs may be lower, but there comes a point when you have to ask yourself is it worth the headache when you will be hated for only doing what is needed to protect the safety of your workers and the business itself?
I agree here. MY thoughts exactly.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:07 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
and just wait until you hear WHY the 18 yr old felt the need to call 911 on Floyd!!!

https://slate.com/human-interest/202...=pocket-newtab

The article is basically asking how much blame the store should bear for what happened.
It makes me so mad! That kid had every right to call 911. People harassing him are stupid.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Why isn't the article asking how much blame George Floyd should bear? Oh, that's right, because it's from Slate.
I used to really like Slate. They are awful now.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Calling 911...for someone passing counterfeit money? Really? Thats not exactly an 'emergency situation'! Geez

Its something you call police administration offices during normal business hours, Monday thru Friday....Its not an emergency that requires immediate police response.
It’s theft, and I’ll be damned if people tell me I can’t call 911 for theft. It seems a certain segment of the population thinks we should just sit back and let them commit crimes in this country. No. They need to grow up and learn that they have responsibility for their actions, and those actions have consequences.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:22 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Calling 911...for someone passing counterfeit money? Really? Thats not exactly an 'emergency situation'! Geez

Its something you call police administration offices during normal business hours, Monday thru Friday....Its not an emergency that requires immediate police response.
customer pays with counterfeit money - to a small business that's stealing more than it is "ooh, passing fake bills is a felony!"

clerk(s) go outside to tell customer "hey that bill was fake, give us our stuff back"

customer refuses and curses them (and happens to be physically imposing) and you can tell they're under the influence and in the driver's seat of a car.

then you read the store has long been required to report crimes

so, even if it's not the fake bill that warrants a 911 call, what about a "drunk" driver? You're OK with knowing they're on the road likely endangering the community until "normal business hours"?

Old 10-13-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
When I take a panoramic look at this situation. Black immigrants such as afro latinos, afro Caribbeans, Africans and other blacks like Haitians and guyanese people don't have the same historical issues as your typical rank and file red black green pro black back to Africa African Americans when it comes to America. Plenty of black immigrants and immigrants in general are academically not aware about the dynamics between blacks in America and the police.

2. The business is Palestinian. Like many immigrants and ethnic businesses. Such businesses dont play with loosing money especially since that money supposed to go back to the ethnic group community and bounce around. Jews for example a dollar bounces around for a few days, same for Arabs, Africans, Indians, Mexicans, Chinese, Koreans and so forth. American balcks their dollar only bounces around for an hour and ends up back in the hands of the white man or other ethnic groups. With that said a fake 20 dollar bill will raise alarms in a Palestinian owned establishment.

What can we learn from this? If you are one do these white liberals, black academics and black thought leaders. Your job is to educate immigrants especially black immigrants and Arabs not to call the cops on black Americans and educate immigrants on black brown and native American racsim.

This is not the first time that a black calls a cop on another black and gets them killed. Tamir rice, the little kid playing with a toy gun. Who called the cops on him? That incident happened in a black community. It wasn't a white woman and white woman's tears that got Tamir rice killed. The media is very smart and does not want to pin the blame on a black woman and is hiding the truth.

Last. Their is two sides or three sides of the story of George Floyd. Malik the store clerk did nothing wrong, however he was ill-equipped to know about the history between balcks and police in America.
Give me a freaking break. Not every black person who gets the cops called on them ends up dead. If a black person is committing a crime I’ll call the damn cops on them, just as I would if it were a white person.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I used to really like Slate. They are awful now.
Slate like much of the media has gone woke. Their are not credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies