Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 06:19 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,704 times

Advertisements

The stores owners are also suing the city for allowing the area to become a lawless cesspool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 06:38 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
The stores owners are also suing the city for allowing the area to become a lawless cesspool.
And that’s not the reason he’s suing either, it’s because the barricades have slowed his business down.

People who don’t live here, don’t know what’s going on, or just want to inject their own slanted bs into everything always ask for a “link” from those who are actually experiencing it. As if we need to make any of this up, so here’s the link that supports what I just posted, maybe we should ALL have to do that.

Quote:
...some business owners in the so-called 'autonomous zone' want those barricades to come down citing slower business and dwindling customers creating financial strain.

Jamar Nelson, a spokesperson for Cup Foods, told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the store's proprietor also owns three other businesses inside the barricaded area.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kst...l-5888624.html

Old 10-13-2020, 06:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
and just wait until you hear WHY the 18 yr old felt the need to call 911 on Floyd!!!

https://slate.com/human-interest/202...=pocket-newtab

The article is basically asking how much blame the store should bear for what happened.
Best practice is to authenticate the bill at the point of sale and have a written policy as to what to do if the note is fake. Very important to maintain an awareness the consumer who presented the fake note may not be aware it is fake.

Some businesses simply decline the fake note. Some call 911.

In this case, there was a delay and an employee pursued Floyd who was drunk as a skunk and splayed out in his car. He made no attempt to flee the scene.

Both Floyd and the officers had opportunities to deescalate and chose not to do so.

Kneeling on a guy’s neck for 8 minutes with your hand in your pocket, while fellow officers watch is not a good look and in this case resulted in homicide charges.

I don’t hold the grocer responsible.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:48 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
And that’s not the reason he’s suing either, it’s because the barricades have slowed his business down.

People who don’t live here, don’t know what’s going on, or just want to inject their own slanted bs into everything always ask for a “link” from those who are actually experiencing it. As if we need to make any of this up, so here’s the link that supports what I just posted, maybe we should ALL have to do that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kst...l-5888624.html
Thanks, as I said the city allowed the area around Cup foods to become a lawless cesspool.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:56 PM

1,969 posts, read 544,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Floyd passed a phony bill. Whether he knew it or not is a different story but the store saw it as stealing. He was asked to return the merchandise he became angry, the store called the cops. That should be where the stores responsibility ends but not according to the Liberal minds that were cited in the article.

Floyd is responsible for his own death. If you have seen the video featuring the time leading up to his death the Police were actually being very kind to him, asking him politely to get into the back of the cruiser. It wasn't until that impatient bad cop came along and took charge in a sadistic way that the threat to Floyd's life was made real.

The store has ZERO responsibility in Floyd's death yet they had to close and suffer the abuse of misguided protesters that have vandalized it and tried to burn it down.

Floyd shouldn't have been drunk or high and out on the streets. Floyd shouldn't have resisted being detained. The other cops should have intervened to save him. The store is not responsible.
yes i agree that when he started saying he cant breath they should have called 911 and rolled him on his side. i think the cop was a negligent jerk. but not 1st degree murder. no.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:43 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Yeah, 2020 is a strange year.

In my 12 years career as a cop (in a very progressive & blue state), i have never heard anybody blame the store owners for calling the cops on shoplifters or thieves or people passing fake bills....until this year.
My company is one of the top 3 largest gas station/convenience store chains in the country and a shoplifter calling our customer complaint hotline about 8 years ago...led to the company changing their policy on how managers can deal with shoplifters...

Managers can ask them to leave the store and refuse them service, but they are not permitted to call police for shoplifting, not even for gas thefts, they are supposed to record the license plate number and they can refuse them service if they ever come back, (although Ive never seen a cashier that checks the list of plate numbers before ringing people up), so it really doesnt accomplish anything.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:56 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
My company is one of the top 3 largest gas station/convenience store chains in the country and a shoplifter calling our customer complaint hotline about 8 years ago...led to the company changing their policy on how managers can deal with shoplifters...

Managers can ask them to leave the store and refuse them service, but they are not permitted to call police for shoplifting, not even for gas thefts, they are supposed to record the license plate number and they can refuse them service if they ever come back, (although Ive never seen a cashier that checks the list of plate numbers before ringing people up), so it really doesnt accomplish anything.
Nobody really cares about your company’s policy in dealing with thieves and shoplifters. The issue here is you are blaming the store (aka the victim) for calling the cops on someone passing a fake bill (aka a thief).

In addition, your company is big enough to offset the costs for stolen goods, but little mom & pop’s shop like Cup Foods cannot.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Nobody really cares about your company’s policy in dealing with thieves and. The issue here is you are blaming the store (aka the victim) for calling the cops on someone passing a fake bill (aka a thief).

In addition, your company is big enough to offset the costs for stolen goods, but little mom & pop’s shop like Cup Foods cannot.

You mean: “Little mom and pop shop” that actually owns 4 or so businesses, who’s owner’s policy is not to call the police on a customer for $20 counterfeit suspicion, who then told the employee to call the police on the police when he heard how the situation was being handled, (kid called owner scared that he called the police and now was watching Floyd being “choked” he said) who then apologized to the community and paid for the funeral.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:10 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You mean: “Little mom and pop shop” that actually owns 4 or so businesses, who’s owners policy is not to call the police on a customer for $20 counterfeit suspicion, who the told the employee to call the police on the police when he heard how the situation was being handled, who then apologized to the community and paid for the funeral.
Sorry, I don’t buy that.

Most likely the owner doesn’t want to get his store torched to the ground by BLM. An apology and some money for the funeral are still cheaper.

I would do the same thing.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I don’t buy that.

Most likely the owner doesn’t want to get his store torched to the ground by BLM. An apology and some money for the funeral are still cheaper.

I would do the same thing.
As if people waited to see if he would apologize and pay for a funeral and then all came to an agreement that no one would touch the place. Okaaaay. Don’t let the facts get in the way.

Btw, no one cares if you buy it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies