Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 03:00 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe you should take a class in reading comprehension. The discussion is not about regular folk, it is about police officers.

There was a thread about this same topic before and people were equally offended when others suggested training for less lethal approach.
Protip: police or citizen still has to reasonably believe and fear for imminent death or physical injury to themselves or others before they resort to deadly force.

Yes, i am a cop and i also teach CCW to civilians. In my CCW class, 30% of my time devotes to actual weapon handling/John Wick crap and 70% of my time devotes to what not to do in a use of force situation so you don't go to prison....such as discharging your gun at someone when you do not believe your life is not in danger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 03:24 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Protip: police or citizen still has to reasonably believe and fear for imminent death or physical injury to themselves or others before they resort to deadly force.

Yes, i am a cop and i also teach CCW to civilians. In my CCW class, 30% of my time devotes to actual weapon handling/John Wick crap and 70% of my time devotes to what not to do in a use of force situation so you don't go to prison....such as discharging your gun at someone when you do not believe your life is not in danger
If you are a cop, then you should know there are differences between what cops can do and what civilians can do. Cops actually apprehend people for living. I have CCW license, so I know what I can and cannot do, but that is not the topic here.

Personally I was against it when Florida Gov Scott legalized warning shots for regular folks. It used to carry a very long prison sentence (up to 20 yrs).

Old 10-16-2020, 03:31 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,463 times
Stop and frisk would save a lot of lives since good cops know who has the guns and can take them away..but they took that away. Best tool the cops had to keep everyone safe.

I heard a NY cop (retired) on the radio one night said in 25 years he never pulled his gun out of the holster but he took thousands of guns off people who had no business having them..along with knives and other weapons.

He said the worst thing they did was end stop and frisk.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
If you are a cop, then you should know there are differences between what cops can do and what civilians can do. Cops actually apprehend people for living. I have CCW license, so I know what I can and cannot do, but that is not the topic here.

Personally I was against it when Florida Gov Scott legalized warning shots for regular folks. It used to carry a very long prison sentence (up to 20 yrs).
Any reasonable person or citizen or officer will tell you that a gun, a deadly tool, is not something to use for a non-lethal situation.

The McCloskey in St Louis was charged for felony unlawful use of weapon just for pointing their guns at the protesters. What do think is going to happen if they squeezing rounds at the protesters?

I have personally been involved in a shooting investigation between citizens where the shooter claimed that he only had the intent to cause injury (not to kill) to his victim. He still got charged for attempted murder. The victim survived

Old 10-17-2020, 12:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
So you disagree that democrats value the lives of criminals over law abiding citizens?

Really?

How else do you explain the war you people are waging on police? You want militant black criminals to be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want, without consequence.

Every registered democrat DESERVES to be victims of the evil they insist on protecting.
"You people"????

Confirmation your posts are based solely upon fallacious and erectile dysfunctional strawmen.

Yes, I disagree that Democrats value criminal lives over law abiding; as any sane person with an IQ over ten would.

Waging war requires at least two combatants otherwise it wouldn't be a war but rather a fait-accompli.

Last I looked there are any number of police in any number of Democrat areas still functioning as normal.

HOW did you come to the conclusion that the police themselves are not at least 50% democrat. You asked 'em all did you?

Democrats this and Democrats that equates to someone stating as factual all whales love fruit loops.

Stop with the silly stuff.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Any reasonable person or citizen or officer will tell you that a gun, a deadly tool, is not something to use for a non-lethal situation.
Governor Scott, and the Republican State Congress (FL) insist that warning shots are ok. I guess that makes them unreasonable.

Warning shots used to be a big no-no here (20 yrs mandatory). Just displaying a gun used to be 3 yrs mandatory sentence.

IMO As far as citizens are concerned, leg shots, warning shots and brandishing should be strictly forbidden, and guns should be used only when in fear of death or great bodily harm. As for officers, I think they should have the option non-lethal shots, but it sounds like everyone agrees they cannot be trusted with that option, so I suppose they will continue to pump 6 in the chest, and deal with riots later.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Governor Scott, and the Republican State Congress (FL) insist that warning shots are ok. I guess that makes them unreasonable.

Warning shots used to be a big no-no here (20 yrs mandatory). Just displaying a gun used to be 3 yrs mandatory sentence.

IMO As far as citizens are concerned, leg shots, warning shots and brandishing should be strictly forbidden, and guns should be used only when in fear of death or great bodily harm. As for officers, I think they should have the option non-lethal shots, but it sounds like everyone agrees they cannot be trusted with that option, so I suppose they will continue to pump 6 in the chest, and deal with riots later.
We are not talking about "warning shot". We are talking about shooting AT people in the leg.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
We are not talking about "warning shot". We are talking about shooting AT people in the leg.
A warning shot and brandishing do not qualify as non-lethal use of firearm

As for leg shots by cops, - forget about it. You have proven our cops are not up to the task.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-17-2020 at 02:18 PM..

Old 10-17-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
A warning shot and brandishing do not qualify as non-lethal

As for leg shots by cops, - forget about it. You have proven our cops are not up to the task.
2 tours in Iraq with the 82nd airborne division
Firearm instructor
IDPA shooter
12 years in LE

You are absolutely correct. I am not up to that task, but if someone with my background is not up to that task, then who can? John Wick? Not every cop in the country is a former Navyseal-deltaforce-marinerecon-scoutsniper

Old 10-17-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. I am not up to that task, but if someone with my background is not up to that task, then who can?
Those with good judgment, cool nerves and steady hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies