Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:38 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,082,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, it sends a message that it’s acceptable for 12- and 13-year olds to have sex. True that the kids might do it anyway (most won’t at that age), but is the teacher emphasizing that is is WRONG to have sex that young?
Rachel, some 7th and 8th graders are having sex. Some 8th grade girls now look like I did in high school, and some high schools girls look 21. My daughter has friends who had their periods and wore size D bras at 11. Most 6th grade girls are more mature physically than 6th grade boys.

Sex and so forth is openly discussed amongst 7th and 8th graders.

I’ve made it clear to my kids, it is better for your physical and emotional heath to wait until you are older. I honestly don’t expect them to wait until marriage. I think that is unrealistic. So I have told them what options there are to avoid pregnancy and STDs. I am very matter of fact, which I think is a better approach than my own mother’s histrionic religious approach.

I have especially emphasized that there a lot of mistakes that you can recover from, but a teenage pregnancy is with you forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 11:39 AM

36,587 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:

P.S. I was 11 when I was in 6th grade. That’s a child.
If you were not sexually active you would have no need to partake of the free condoms then would you.
Just like if you have money you dont have to partake of the free lunches. If you dont have problems you dont have to take advantage of the free counseling.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
It is wrong for 13 year old kids to have sex.

Nobody thinks it is a good idea.

But it is happening.

Educating kids early about 'safe sex' and such doesn't make them want to have sex.

Having birth control available doesn't push kids to have sex.

But if they are inclined, having it available may prevent the need for abortion, adoption and a whole lot of heart ache.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:41 AM

73,076 posts, read 62,706,187 times
I think a good thing to do would be to find out which states have the highest amount of youths who are sexually active.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Rachel, some 7th and 8th graders are having sex. Some 8th grade girls now look like I did in high school, and some high schools girls look 21. My daughter has friends who had their periods and wore size D bras at 11. Most 6th grade girls are more mature physically than 6th grade boys.

Sex and so forth is openly discussed amongst 7th and 8th graders.

I’ve made it clear to my kids, it is better for your physical and emotional heath to wait until you are older. I honestly don’t expect them to wait until marriage. I think that is unrealistic. So I have told them what options there are to avoid pregnancy and STDs. I am very matter of fact, which I think is a better approach than my own mother’s histrionic religious approach.
Yes you have to be realistic.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:44 AM

7,959 posts, read 3,493,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have yet to see most free programs offering extra large sizes as a general rule. And they don't need to, considering that a regular size one can fit around a shoe.
True enough but there's always that one boy who'll say he's the exception then all the other boys will have to follow suit.

There was a case some years back in an inner city school that did offer multiple sizes where this did happen though. Maybe they've wizened up since then.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think a good thing to do would be to find out which states have the highest amount of youths who are sexually active.
How about states ranked by teen pregnancies?

https://powertodecide.org/what-we-do...waAhHiEALw_wcB

Old 10-21-2020, 11:47 AM

36,587 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Kind of makes you wonder if sex is wrong for 12-13 years old's why is that the average age girls have their menarche. And why is it called MENarche and MENstration.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:49 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,085,863 times
Quote:
I think he means that it is wrong to use illegal drugs, and it is wrong for 12- and 13-year-olds to have sex. (Yes....it is wrong. Call me old-fashioned.) That’s the correlation.
Actually I would call you new-fashioned. Way more kids your age we’re having kids in middle school when you were in school then today. Now you could take that as kids were having more sex back then or condoms are used way more often and the rate of sexually active teens has actually increased. But teen pregnancy has fallen of a cliff in this country. I think programs like this are the reason why.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-rate-falling/

Old 10-21-2020, 11:56 AM

73,076 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
How about states ranked by teen pregnancies?

https://powertodecide.org/what-we-do...waAhHiEALw_wcB
Vermont has one of the lowest teen pregnancy rates. New Hampshire is the lowest, followed by Massachusetts, Minnesota, Utah, and Vermont. New Mexico is the highest, followed by Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies